I'm amazed that 20 armed hunters surrendered.. I guess they thought they were police.. It's not a matter of bravery, I just wouldn't want to risk surrendering to a group of mexican armed criminals, would prefer my odds blasting at them. I guess it worked out ok, but my immediate thoughts at seeing these guys coming would be I'd rather be dead than whatever they have in store for me.. Guess I woulda been wrong though. Pretty brave to attack armed tourists of all things...

Well, in the reality of the situation, Dove loads against assualt rifles is not a good thing...........

I live about an hour from McAllen, and I am in the minority of people that are trying to make the rest of the country aware of this growing problem. The border is a bad place to be right now. If it wasn't for family ties and the fact that this is our land and our country, I would have moved away a long time ago. But incidents like the one described here are not uncommon down here. They happen with more and more frequency. They also happen on this side of the border but are kept very quite by the local municipalities which don't want to hurt tourism. Ever since waking up to a firefight between smugglers and the Border Patrol a year ago right outside my house, I sleep with my Saigas and my revolvers next to my bed. The wife and I have discussed it many times and we have a plan in the event that the SHTF and some moron or morons get the bright idea of entering our home.

good point.. for some reason I forgot they wouldn't have anything but bird shot.. still.. I'd almost be more afraid of being caught, held hostage, and then killed then just being shot.. Who knows maybe a loud bang will have them pick a new target.

Obviously my choice is the wrong one since they'd either run, or more likely mow me down, whereas these guys got off relatively unharmed.

well, I guess the lesson that can be learned is.. bring a rifle and a pistol if you go hunting down there.. or at least some heavy shot/slugs..

i wintered around harlingen tx and did a couple fishing/quail trips around monteray mexico. you'd see these bird hunters and most couldn't walk two blocks because of age or being out of shape. the guides drive them to the hot spots and kick the birds up then retrieve them. i went with a local and for about $275 we had a good cabin/food and a shotgun with shells and a gungho 16 yr old mexican kid with a dog. plus a boat for bass fishing. but my buddy fished crappie's and they were big! a lot of black market/drug activity at night. pick up truck convoys and tiny planes with no lights heading north really low. stayed in the compound after dark. the cops are dirty too so these people were expecting they just wanted some bribe money and were starring at a lotta muzzles before they knew what happened. (gold chains and pinky rings will only trouble bring) when you cross that river.