Help a newbie trick out his Saiga 308

Okay, so I've got an out-of-the-box Saiga 308, 22 in barrel, with polymer furniture, one 8-rd. mag, and I also purchased a side-mounted PSOP scope from Kalinka. After browsing the forum, I see that the Tapco G2 FCG is popular-- any suggestions on good vendors to purchase from? Also, I'm not that handy, so should I get a gunsmith to install or is it easy enough to switch out trigger groups by myself (if the latter, a how-to would be appreciated)?

I'd also like to add a bipod and would like recommendations on good but inexpensive one to put on my rifle (and where to buy online).

Also ideas/instructions for adding a pistol grip/new buttstock, cheek piece, etc. Hell, I even saw one person here talking about a bullpup configuration-- I'd sure like to know how to do that. I don't have much experience doing extensive modding to rifles, so I put myself in the hands of you Saiga gurus when it comes to this shit. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and I'm very open to ideas for stock reconfigurations. The only things I'm sure I want to add/change right now are the FCG and the bipod. I'm lookin to make tricking out my Saiga and my WASR my new hobby and I got a pretty good idea of what I'm doin with the latter, but definitely need help from the Saiga nuts here on the former.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.-- Where can I find the best prices on factory mags, and is it just me or is the Saiga more of a pain in the ass to field strip and reassemble than your standard AK? Seems like shit fits together tighter and I have to fiddle with it more, especially when it comes to putting the bolt back in and closing the top cover.

i would go with the standard tapco buttstock and pistol grip with the saiga tapco intrafuse handguard with rails. The fully adjustable rsa fcg. I dnt know much about bipods so somebody else wil help with that. the conversion isnt hard just read up on it and you can do it yourself. generally the stock mags are more expensive than even the 25 round surefires.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=42895&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I wanted to cut and paste my pics here. I bought the Saiga .308 already converted with pistol grip and folding stock. It uses after market mags from surefire, and they work great. They also hold 20 rounds. There was one jam because the gun was being broken it but after that, no problem. Very accurate too. It is one of the favorites of my collection. Also a plus is that the bolt locks back on the last round fired, not sure if all are set up this way. Anyway, conversions can be done by the owner, if you have the parts, tools and knowledge, but I would be hard pressed to do it myself. To risk doing it myself and risk ruining the rifle, I would prefer to pay someone to do it right. There are enough people here who can refer you to the right source.

Have fun with it. You will learn to cherish it.

Okay, so I've got an out-of-the-box Saiga 308, 22 in barrel, with polymer furniture, one 8-rd. mag, and I also purchased a side-mounted PSOP scope from Kalinka. After browsing the forum, I see that the Tapco G2 FCG is popular-- any suggestions on good vendors to purchase from? Also, I'm not that handy, so should I get a gunsmith to install or is it easy enough to switch out trigger groups by myself (if the latter, a how-to would be appreciated)?

I'd also like to add a bipod and would like recommendations on good but inexpensive one to put on my rifle (and where to buy online).

Also ideas/instructions for adding a pistol grip/new buttstock, cheek piece, etc. Hell, I even saw one person here talking about a bullpup configuration-- I'd sure like to know how to do that. I don't have much experience doing extensive modding to rifles, so I put myself in the hands of you Saiga gurus when it comes to this shit. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and I'm very open to ideas for stock reconfigurations. The only things I'm sure I want to add/change right now are the FCG and the bipod. I'm lookin to make tricking out my Saiga and my WASR my new hobby and I got a pretty good idea of what I'm doin with the latter, but definitely need help from the Saiga nuts here on the former.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.-- Where can I find the best prices on factory mags, and is it just me or is the Saiga more of a pain in the ass to field strip and reassemble than your standard AK? Seems like shit fits together tighter and I have to fiddle with it more, especially when it comes to putting the bolt back in and closing the top cover.

South Philly,

I strongly suggest you search this forum a bit. All your questions had been answered a few times already.

I too have been searching the internet and these forums for a detailed instruction on how to convert the .308. All I get is is "its like the .223 but kinda different, youll figure it out" I personnally dont want to tear apart my $550 rifle and "wing" it so i understand peoples concern. Ive rebuilt banshee engines numerous times and Im pretty handy with tools but knowing some of these trick before hand would be nice. Information is power and the .308 conversion information just isnt out there.