New to chokes

I've fired open bore shotguns for awhile and I'm getting interested in accuracy/possibly a match with my saiga12. I know less than nothing about chokes and their intended use/ranges. I'm looking at the Polychoke based on the amount of positive feedabck in ragrds to its ease of use and price.

So the question I have for the vets on here is simple but broad....what choke setting is used for what size Buck/Bird shot and what range is each choke setting designed for? I understand that each weapon reacts differently, I'm just looking for some general guidelines before hitting the range with accuracy in mind.

Thanks

Eric

Thank you.

The distances/pattern size ratios the same for buck and bird shot?

pattern size is directly related to the amount and size of shot.

tip: dont ever shoot slugs through highly constrictive chokes...bad things happen when the ammunition dia. exceedes the choke dia.

your welcome

Edited by DCclaygunner
  • Like 1
tip: dont ever shoot slugs through highly constrictive chokes...bad things happen when the ammunition dia. exceedes the choke dia.

Nothing bad will happen.

Shooting lead rifled slugs wont hurt a gun on any choke setting. They are made of soft lead and will swage down even thru a full choke. Lead slugs are designed to go thru any size choke.

I have shot slugs on all the settings on my Ploy choke from open to full on my poly choke. I get the tightest groups at modified/improved modified.

Nothing bad will happen.

Shooting lead rifled slugs wont hurt a gun on any choke setting. They are made of soft lead and will swage down even thru a full choke. Lead slugs are designed to go thru any size choke.

I have shot slugs on all the settings on my Ploy choke from open to full on my poly choke. I get the tightest groups at modified/improved modified.

thank you. i still wont though. just to be safe.

• Like 1

Thank you.

The distances/pattern size ratios the same for buck and bird shot?

pattern size is directly related to the amount and size of shot.

your welcome

What you want to watch for is shooting steel shot out of a modified choke or tighter...er' that's what Dad always said.

• Like 1

I believe the problems with chokes and slugs come with the Saboted slugs, as the Sabots need a bit of rifling to give them some spin so they separate from the slug properly. I've shot rifled slugs out of my 22" full choked Saiga for quite some time now , with pretty decent accuracy and no damage to the gun. Can get quite a bit of lead fouling though.

Thanks to all.

If any of you shoot in competitions what type of ammo/choke settings do you use?

I'm thinking about getting into a local shotgun/pistol that may be coming up and looking for some basics. I already looked in the "Competitors Corner" portion of the site, but couldn't find a solid answer to this question.

Thank again

Eric

Just a note from a Multi-Gun freak.

I shoot an 18 inch Saiga and had the barrel choked to accept the Remington chokes. Now I use Modified for almost everything except perhaps a stage that has only clays or steel from 0 to 12 yards, then I will use an improved. Yes, I shoot Wolf slugs from the modified out to 100 yards and can hit an ABC IPSC target almost all day long, or until my wallet tells me to quit.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

Nothing bad will happen.

Okay......

I'll let you keep testing the theory.

Personally, I would never fire a slug through a full choke. Or advise someone nothing bad could happen if they did.

But then again, I like to keep this kind of excitement to a minimum.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=47537

post-10574-12591768922268_thumb.jpg

post-10574-12591769053756_thumb.jpg

post-10574-12591769162463_thumb.jpg

Edited...

Edited by Paulyski

Nothing bad will happen.

You are correct in that the slugs will swage down to pass the choke on modern guns, with modern slugs. This is not the case with older guns and old design slugs. Also I have seen bulging in the muzzle of full choke guns where this was done as a practice. I would never do it, except in an emergency.

Hi guys, happy New Year.

I have a Saiga 12, and I guess I don't know enough to determine this for myself.

Is there a choke system that I can purchase that will work without me going to a gunsmith? The outside of the barrel is threaded, is this a common sized thread that will help me out?

I can supply a photo if that would be helpful.

Hi guys, happy New Year.

I have a Saiga 12, and I guess I don't know enough to determine this for myself.

Is there a choke system that I can purchase that will work without me going to a gunsmith? The outside of the barrel is threaded, is this a common sized thread that will help me out?

I can supply a photo if that would be helpful.

You could purchase one of these choke adapters that will screw right onto your factory threads.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43443

It comes with a full choke but you can unscrew that from inside and switch it out for readily available chokes of all sizes. These can be purchased for a small price at your local sporting goods store, or online.

Everyone who has purchased one of these from me has been extremely happy with it.