Ordered my 5.45x39!!!

I finally ordered my 5.45 Saiga yesterday! It should ship out in the next day or two. Also, I went ahead and ordered 4 Bulgarian surplus mags today for it.

I've been accumulating parts to convert it over the last month or so and I think I'm finally ready. Here's what I've got:

- Black synthetic fixed stock

- Tapco G2 trigger group

- Hogue pistol grip (and nut)

- Dinzag bullet guide kit

- Tapco piston

- retainer plate

- hole plugs

... am I missing anything? .... other than a big ol' crate of ammo to break her in?

This is my first conversion and I can't tell you guys how excited I am! I had to tell someone and my girlfriend just doesn't understand.

PS - No worries, I'll be sure to post pics once it gets here and I get underway.

Edited by McCormick

congrats bud, hope she comes in good shape. You have all the necessary parts, unless you want to throw a muzzle brake and some modern front hand guards on that bad boy. Maybe an MI quad? I'm getting my 5.45 next week, so I'm pretty excited as well.

It's gonna be sweet. :smoke:

I finally ordered my 5.45 Saiga yesterday! It should ship out in the next day or two. Also, I went ahead and ordered 4 Bulgarian surplus mags today for it.

I've been accumulating parts to convert it over the last month or so and I think I'm finally ready. Here's what I've got:

- Black synthetic fixed stock

- Tapco G2 trigger group

- Hogue pistol grip (and nut)

- Dinzag bullet guide kit

- Tapco piston

- retainer plate

- hole plugs

... am I missing anything? .... other than a big ol' crate of ammo to break her in?

Maybe a nut and screw for the trigger guard. Carolina Shooters Supply has those for $1. (I wish I'd know that before, because I ended up having to buy a whole little bag of nuts and screws at Lowe's just to get the one of each that I needed).

Just curious, why are you replacing the piston? If the pistol grip and buttstock are U.S. made, it is not necessary to change. And the Russian one is no doubt of better quality.

Jim

Just curious, why are you replacing the piston? If the pistol grip and buttstock are U.S. made, it is not necessary to change. And the Russian one is no doubt of better quality.

Jim

Honestly, the piston was just sort of for safe measure. I read some conflicting information about whether or not the pistol grip counted as a US part, since the gun didn't originally have a PG. **shrug** Better safe than sorry, and if nothing else, I always have an extra piston laying around.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, finally an update...

THE CONVERSION IS DONE!!! Whoopy!

I got the rifle and mags in and have been using any free-time I could manage to get this thing done. Got hung up on a couple silly things but learned ALOT and can't wait to help my friend with his! (and how to avoid my mistakes)

Pics will get posted as soon as I can find that dumb cable that connects the camera to the computer. Anyways, I think it turned out pretty good, especially seeing how it was my first conversion. All that's left is the bullet guide at this point.