I posted this in the 922R compliance section but got little response. I have a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle I put a Surefire tri-rail forend on it and I use Surefire 30 round mags. It has the Saiga skeleton stock on it that came on the gun. I have read alot of conflicting info as far as compliance goes. I thought that the saiga rifle from the factory had 14 Russian parts and the american made forend and mags I'm using gave me 4 american parts and 10 russian parts making it compliant. But lately I've read that the skeleton stock counts as 2 parts and is considered a pistol grip. Is the rifle compliant or not?

The confusion arises because folks can't tell things apart, even when they're looking at them.

This is the Saiga skeleton stock:

saiga-skeleton-stock.jpg

shown on a Saiga:

saiga-skeleton-rifle.jpg

Now here's a thumbhole for a standard Kalashnikov (or converted Saiga):

ati-thumbhole-stock.png

Shown on an AK:

ati-thumbhole-rifle.jpg

Now here's where you should pay attention:

The revenuers have ruled that if the pistol grip doesn't attach to the rifle, it doesn't count as a 922r part.

Which one of these resembles that remark?

It does not matter how many U.S. parts you have as long as you have 10 or less foreign.

Yes, but how do you know how many countable parts you have?

That's the OP's question.

"Is my Saiga skeleton stock one countable part or two?"

AHHHH

Well I dont know that answer, but if you want to be safe you could allways change out one more part. I totally thought you were asking. meh nvm

Uh you could change out the piston or do the trigger, but then I would think it would be just as easy to do the conversion.

or..i guess you could just wait and im sure somone will know cuz I sure dont021.gif

Edited by chevyman097

The confusion arises because folks can't tell things apart, even when they're looking at them.

This is the Saiga skeleton stock:

saiga-skeleton-stock.jpg

shown on a Saiga:

saiga-skeleton-rifle.jpg

Now here's a thumbhole for a standard Kalashnikov (or converted Saiga):

ati-thumbhole-stock.png

Shown on an AK:

ati-thumbhole-rifle.jpg

Now here's where you should pay attention:

The revenuers have ruled that if the pistol grip doesn't attach to the rifle, it doesn't count as a 922r part.

Which one of these resembles that remark?

Well based on your quiz I think the Saiga stock would be compliant. Do you know if the saiga skeleton stock is one part or two?

AHHHH

Well I dont know that answer, but if you want to be safe you could allways change out one more part. I totally thought you were asking. meh nvm

Uh you could change out the piston or do the trigger, but then I would think it would be just as easy to do the conversion.

or..i guess you could just wait and im sure somone will know cuz I sure dont021.gif

Someone that knows has already posted the answer

Well based on your quiz I think the Saiga stock would be compliant. Do you know if the saiga skeleton stock is one part or two?

To be blunt: The Saiga skeleton stock counts as one part.

No part is "compliant" or "non-compliant", it's the combination they're used in that makes the rifle compliant or non-compliant.

To be blunt: The Saiga skeleton stock counts as one part.

No part is "compliant" or "non-compliant", it's the combination they're used in that makes the rifle compliant or non-compliant.

Ok thanks for the answer. I understand that the combination of parts makes the rifle compliant or not. If the skeleton stock counts as 1 part then I have 10 foreign parts and 4 american on my gun making it compliant. My original concern was the stock counting as two parts making it not compliant. I had looked at putting the Tapco AR style stock on my rifle giving me one more american made part but would only do It if I had to. The Saiga skeleton stock works great for my rifle. I have a red/green dot scope on a quick detachable side mount and with this stock it is comfortable to shoot. The stock is well made,has a great feel and the rifle has very little recoil with it.

I know nothing about your stock, but Nalioth seems to know and answered it. It is one part. So If you are asking if your parts count is compliant(depending on if you trigger it or not) then yes US mag(3) and us forend (1) and the stock as Nalioth stated is one(1) foreign so you are still at 10.

Apologies for my confusion of your qustion at first. So many people ask about 922, hell I did too. I read it till my eyes bleed.