Just completed my .308 conversion!!

Thanks to all the great information and ideas here, I just completed my Saiga conversion. I have to say, I'm relatively proud of the work and the results.

I started with a stock factory 16" Saiga, picked up some parts from Dinzag, then picked up some more parts from Dinzag, then cannibalized a couple parts from another AK I had, and came up with this.

I'm particularly happy with the absolutely rock-solid quad rail, which I had previously residing on another AK variant. So what else to do other than throw on an EOtech and vertical grip!! I can't say how much I enjoy this right now... 16" heavy barreled semi-auto, with the rapid target acquisition of an EOtech (with a Krebs ghost ring as backup!), the rock solid reliability of an AK build, dumping out the heavy duty .308 rounds in lots of 20. This thing just brings a smile to my face.

Only thing left to do is port or thread the barrel. I haven't decided which way I'm going to go with that yet... I may also swap the Tapco stock. I like the collapsing, just not a big fan of the Tapco.

Oh, and I maintained the BHO mechanism.

post-14058-12640427953398_thumb.jpg

post-14058-12640428044637_thumb.jpg

post-14058-12640428135804_thumb.jpg

Edited by RockyJ

It's actually an older model high-end Surefire, I don't believe they've made it in a few years. It's made for the AK platform but requires the gas tube hand guard hardware to mount (as well as into the lower front portion of the receiver). It wouldn't mount on the standard Saiga gas tube, so after some experimenting I found that the AK74 tube was literally identical in size/shape etc. The only variance was the beveling/angle of the tube release/lock and the receiver side gas vents. So I took a file to the angle and a bit on the vents and made it fit perfectly. After that, the quad-rail was a snap to mount. And it's rock solid.

The Surefire originally ran $300-$400 new - when it was available. It's far and away the best system for an AK platform that I've dealt with. And I was exceedingly pleased to find a way to get it on my Saiga. I should post a pic of my 74 with the Saiga gas tube. It actually looks really good with the AR style collapsing stock and wood lower & hand grip.

Edited by RockyJ