gas tube question

Alright so its my first post, honestly I havent felt the need to post anything yet cuz my rifle isnt done yet and every question ive needed to ask has already been answered by one of you fine people the "search" function has served me well. So gettin to the point: Ive read that any standard ak gas tube will fit the .308 with minor fitting. So trying to save a couple bucks and not have to pay for one of dinzags masterpieces I found a yugo M70 tube for $15 and ordered it. I got it the other day and found it was about 9/16" longer than my saiga. I took a hacksaw to it and found that now im into the crimped star shaped portion of the tube and that wont fit on the gas tube. long story short i had to violate the tube with a tapered prybar and spend a lot of time with a file and a digital caliper on the back end to make it fit right. the only thing left to do is a little shaping around the corners so that the spring fits over and filing the notch for it at the top. Is the spring necessary ? and is the m70 different than a standard tube? are standard tubes shorter? and also will the standard size upper hand guard fit this tube?thanks to everyone for all the great info this is the best forum out there!

DSC00001.jpg

Edited by jwiedy

The yugo is longer than any other AK, at 7.515 in. A regular ak tube is about 7in, and would have fit without cutting, but it looks like you got it. If you want wood, you will have to use wood intended for a yugo, as well, as it is longer. Might look snazzy though.

A good trick for flaring out that crimp is to use a tapered socket on the id.

thanks for the help, but what really sucks is I already ordered custom furniture from ironwood so I guess im gonna have to buy a standard gas tube anyway. Maybe Could find a cheap surplus yugo stock set and change them out when I get bored