how much front sight cant is too much?

Today I shot my 74 for the first time. I noticed that at 35yrds maybe 40yrds I was hitting the left side of the target. I moved the front post and got it to zero. At about 80 yrds I had to push the post all the way left till it is hitting the the left side, and it zeroed. Is this a problem or par for the course with AKs? what could I expect at 100yrds? This is my first AK so any help would be great. Just wondering if I should send it back or not.

Today I shot my 74 for the first time. I noticed that at 35yrds maybe 40yrds I was hitting the left side of the target. I moved the front post and got it to zero. At about 80 yrds I had to push the post all the way left till it is hitting the the left side, and it zeroed. Is this a problem or par for the course with AKs? what could I expect at 100yrds? This is my first AK so any help would be great. Just wondering if I should send it back or not.

My 5.45 has a canted front sight also. Maybe they had a bad batch. I'm not worrying too much about it at the moment. (It doesn't keep me from shooting straight with the red dot). I'll have it fixed when I replace the front sight block with a threaded one.

My 09 .308 was canted so bad that I had to take a drill to it and put new pins in the FSB. I couldn't get it sighted in for 50 yards with the sight over as far as possible, was 6 inches to the left still. It happens, almost every Saiga at the local gun store has a FSB that is somewhat canted, some worse than others.

Ok here is some news some of yall might find completely useless but it worked for me. I talked to one of the reps that made the rifle and they told me to try and put some lube on the front sight and crank it over with a pipe wrench. So I put the barrel in my barrel vise after soaking the sight in some WD-40. I then wrapped the sight in a towel and cranked it over and it worked. I normally would not have attempted this because the front sight is cast steel and there is a chance it could break; however the rep said that he would give me a new rifle if I broke anything. Is that crazy or what? Anyway problem solved gun shoots great. 1 1/2 to 2 MOA open sights. Just thought this might help someone in need. :smoke:

Ok here is some news some of yall might find completely useless but it worked for me. I talked to one of the reps that made the rifle and they told me to try and put some lube on the front sight and crank it over with a pipe wrench. So I put the barrel in my barrel vise after soaking the sight in some WD-40. I then wrapped the sight in a towel and cranked it over and it worked. I normally would not have attempted this because the front sight is cast steel and there is a chance it could break; however the rep said that he would give me a new rifle if I broke anything. Is that crazy or what? Anyway problem solved gun shoots great. 1 1/2 to 2 MOA open sights. Just thought this might help someone in need. :smoke:

I thought the front sight block was pinned on Saigas?

I thought the front sight block was pinned on Saigas?

No, it's hydraulically "punched" in place.

. . and the pipe wrench trick has been offered (and used) by several well known 'smiths. .

• 1 month later...

This procedure worked on my 7.62 (thanks for the tip). I don't have a vise so I used the (2) biggest pipe wrenches I have. I kinda buggered up the paint a bit, but some flat black spray paint took care of that. Only needed to move it a fraction because it wasn't canted much, but it made all the difference.

It makes sense that the hydraulic punch will allow for some movement. It should remain tight as well (all it does is hold the sights). If it was pinned this would NOT be an option. Jim D. this could be a good option for you and if it goes bad, well it's then time to install a Bulgarian FSB. Just be careful how you clamp the barrel (would recommend a set of brass jaws with a undersized hole through the set so you get a good even contact and purchase.

Good Luck!