Q1: Polychoke v. Izhmash Chokes Q2: Slugs thru Full Choke?

Howzit Saigaphiles!

I don't hunt, I just do 3 gun competitions and I'm wondering which would better meet my needs. The Polychoke II or the Izhmash screw-on half/full chokes? I'm just looking to tighten up my bird shot patterns to smack the steel a little harder & improve accuracy. I keep reading conflicting information about firing slugs through a full choke. Please answer this one only if you have first hand experience doing so safely or actually witnessing a kaBoom! or other event.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a 22" fixed full choke barrel from the factory in one of my S-12s. I have fired many slugs through that barrel with no kabooms, banana peels, etc....

The worst I have gotten is plenty of lead fouling to have to clean out. I wouldn't want to risk letting if build up too long in there and fire a slug but I'm not worried one bit about using FOSTER slugs in it(like remington sluggers, wolf, some brenneke, etc). I would not however, shoot any SABOT slugs through any full choke. The difference is, a foster slug is soft and hollow, made to have room to squeeze itself through a full choke and not cause problems. I sabot slug on the other hand, is made for shooting through a rifled barrel and it's hard so that it takes the rifling, making it spin.

Now that is a fixed full choke barrel, I wouldn't suggest doing that with a poly choke...although it may work, I haven't tried that.

There's a new screw on choke adapter made though, that uses regular winchokes designed for internally threaded barrels. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt it a bit to put a foster slug through a regular full choke in that. You get the best of both worlds. Put it on your factory threaded barrel and screw in a full choke, or extra full turkey choke, and pattern better than the polychoke....or you can even screw in a rifled choke tube and shoot sabot slugs through the rifling they were designed to go through, for better accuracy at long range...even 100+ yds.

S-12 Winchoke Adapter: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43443

Thanks for the reply, Cobra. I was thinking of this choke from Izhmash (see pic). I didn't know about the win choke adaptor, that looks pretty cool as an option.

When you say 'fixed full choke barrel' is that a fixed choke on the end of the barrel or is the whole barrel 'full choke'?

post-14590-12648187272809_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing the 2 slugs on the right are OK for chokes, but the one on the left is asking for trouble?

post-14590-12648191516326_thumb.jpg

Edited by iSaiga

Yes that is correct sir. The one on the left is designed specifically for a rifled barrel, or rifled choke. What kind is that, do you know? That's exactly what I need for my upcoming test I'm doing on the choke adapter with rifled choke.

The fixed choke I'm referring to is the 22" barrel S-12 that has a full choke built into the unthreaded muzzle. I also have a full set of the factory screw on chokes like the one you have there. I'll also be testing those in comparison to the adapter with internal choke.

Here's my 22" factory camo S-12. It will stay just like this unconverted. It's an excellent gun for turkey shoots, turkey hunts, skeet, etc. I can even show up with this at the local country boys turkey shoot without turning too many heads from the fuds and having to listen to a bunch of commie gun comments.

post-1293-12648217537822_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12648218224807_thumb.jpg

After breaking the ice with this one, it's easier to segway into the more "evil" versions...lol :devil:

post-1293-12648218888438_thumb.jpg

Firing rifled slugs through a Polychoke on "full" or even "x-tra full" settings will not hurt it. I've done so several times and no harm was done, (except to the target :D ).

I prefer to use the "slug" setting when firing slugs though, as that's what I used to zero my Krebs sights. "Slug" setting on a Polychoke is just a little bit tighter than cylinder bore.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • 3 weeks later...

the ruskie chokes are tighter than they are supposed to be, and i think the cylinder bore of the bbl is like .003 under true cylinder....i did a good write up on all the choke measurements and bbl measurements years back

Hi Elia,

Do you have a link to that thread? I'd be interested in reading it.

i found it, and i'm c&p'ing the whole damn thing.....i'll link to it at the bottom....funny thing is people ask about the chokes all the time and when i posted this it got 0 response.....

heres is what i've been able to find out.....

Non-American shotguns (12 GA.) normally have a true bore diameter of approximately .005 less than US barrels or generally have a true bore diameter of .725

^this is taken from a chart i found on a few choke tube makers websites and other places around the web...

but, i also have a dial caliper that i hope is accurate like it is supposed to be, and i have a saiga 12 and i have all but the paradox choke

so here is the rundown of the measurements i've been able to gather and how they compare with "understood" measurements

ok, my "cylinder bore" iz109 has a bore that measures .724, this is skeet 1 size in an American barrel

my 0,0 "cylinder bore" screw on choke measures up to .722 which is .002 looser than improved cylinder(.720)

my 0,5 "modified" screw on choke is .700 which is tighter than improved modified(.704) and looser than full(.694)

my 1,0 "full" screw on choke squeezes tight at .679 which is .050 down from a true 12ga bore of .729 and a whole .010 tighter than accepted extra full(.689)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=35384&st=0&p=316031&hl="extra%20full"&fromsearch=1entry316031

Edited by elia.jon1

i would also like to add......

i use the 0,5 choke when i choke.....

at home i just muzzle nut it.....

make sure and shoot what you have on hand(or use carry whatever)

make sure you know how it patterns/how it hits compared to your sights

choose shiz that patterns good in YOUR gun

each has its own purpose, but put it to paper and make sure it does what you want it to...

my hd load is i belive win super whatever 1600fps bb load.....with the 0,5 at ~10yards it will do like 6-8 or so inches...

it doesn't upen up that much more with nothing on the end....but it cycles 100% on setting 1 and when i shoot steel with it i know i hit and know it hit hard.....