Is the Tapco G2 a drop-in for the S308?

So far, I've only done one conversion and that was the S12. For that one I had to get a FCG that was modded to fit the S12.

For the S308, does there need to be any mods to the basic G2 FCG for the conversion?

Is it just a matter of doing some grinding to make space for the BHO plate?

Thanks any help.

So far, I've only done one conversion and that was the S12. For that one I had to get a FCG that was modded to fit the S12.

For the S308, does there need to be any mods to the basic G2 FCG for the conversion?

Is it just a matter of doing some grinding to make space for the BHO plate?

Thanks any help.

Actually at first I thought yes, but I just went and checked and it seems I did have to do a very little bit of grinding on the hammer to get clearance for the center support, very minimal though.

Edited by Pointer55

you have to mod your safety lever as well if you want a safety i believe you also have to mod the hammer so it doesnt hit that pin that runs across the receiver, and there will be some side to side play on the trigger you can either put in a spacer or just leave it as did no problems yet.

As stated before, you do need to grind on it a bit. You will need to work over the hammer to fit, nothing too hard and pretty obvious when you try to fit it in the stripped reciever. You will also need to build up (by welding) the rear tab on the trigger to engage the safety. It is slightly too small and doesn't work 100% with the safety. This can definitely be a problem, so look into it.

A good option is to either get one modified by Dinzag Arms or go with a Red Star Arms Vepr .308 fire control group. Power Custom has them for just under $80 and they are a very nice trigger that is adjustable. It drops right in and already has the built up tab for the safety.

Power Custom

Or instead you can replace the selector with one from another AK. The .308 selector has a shorter tab on the inside than the others.

OK, this just made my next conversion (my first 308) plan a bit more complicated. Had planned to use a Krebs modified safety with the Dinzag modified trigger group. Would it be easier just use a Tromix group with that safety?

Or instead you can replace the selector with one from another AK. The .308 selector has a shorter tab on the inside than the others.

OK, this just made my next conversion (my first 308) plan a bit more complicated. Had planned to use a Krebs modified safety with the Dinzag modified trigger group. Would it be easier just use a Tromix group with that safety?

Just file some material off the Krebs safety lever's tab, until in clears the elevated trigger leg on Dinzag's trigger. That's what I plan on doing when I get a Krebs safety for my S308.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I just installed a G2 in my new 308 (2009 model) this evening. I had to grind a little off to clear the center support. I also had to narrow the hammer's "tube" a bit in order to fit the Bolt Hold Open back in (not necessary if you leave the BHO out).

My Saiga disconnector spring did not work with the G2. I had to use one from a Romanian parts kit I have.

I did not need to modify my original Saiga safety at all. It works perfectly as is.

Edited by dmk0210

I just installed a G2 in my new 308 (2009 model) this evening. I had to grind a little off to clear the center support. I also had to narrow the hammer's "tube" a bit in order to fit the Bolt Hold Open back in (not necessary if you leave the BHO out).

My Saiga disconnector spring did not work with the G2. I had to use one from a Romanian parts kit I have.

I did not need to modify my original Saiga safety at all. It works perfectly as is.

Wait until you fire the rifle before saying that the safety work perfectly. Check out the "Safety Problem" sticky thread in this 308 forum. If your safety works perfectly, that would be really strange and indicate that the the 2009 rifle are different. Does your trigger move when you push it from side to side?

Wait until you fire the rifle before saying that the safety work perfectly. Check out the "Safety Problem" sticky thread in this 308 forum. If your safety works perfectly, that would be really strange and indicate that the the 2009 rifle are different.

I read about the issues with the safety. My safety stop tab engages the leg on the trigger perfectly with a little overlap on either side. Plenty of contact surface. There is enough clearance between the safety and trigger that disengaging the safety does not touch the trigger. With the safety on, the trigger moves slightly before it hits the safety stop tab, but not enough to let the hammer slip off the sear. Disengaging the safety cannot make my AK fire. I've assembled the rifle with the cover off, and watched as I dry fired, cycled the action, cycled the safety. It works perfectly.

I used a Tapco G2 and Krebs Retainer plate (Both purchased from Midway USA). I also installed the Bolt Hold Open lever and spring.

Maybe tolerances all stacked up in my favor. This is the 1st Saiga I've converted so it's a sample of one for me. Maybe I just got lucky.

Does your trigger move when you push it from side to side?
Very slightly. The hammer stays on the sear, no where near slipping off, nor does come anywhere near the edge of the stop tab on the safety. Again, the trigger movement here is only slightly more than my Romanian (which has an old FSE trigger kit). It doesn't seem like an unusual amount of slop. I wouldn't have even noticed any at all if I wasn't looking for it. Edited by dmk0210

The safety tab on my S308 was so short, that when I installed a G2 FCG, the trigger legs would clear the tab completely when the safety was (supposedly) engaged. Even with the Dinzag modified FCG I have right now, the trigger has too much play with the safety engaged.

The G2 also had about 2 mm of side to side movement. Dry testing the action indicated that it wasn't a problem, but when I took the rifle to the range, I had one instance of some kind of trigger malfunction and failure to fire out of 40 rounds fired.

The safety tab on my S308 was so short, that when I installed a G2 FCG, the trigger legs would clear the tab completely when the safety was (supposedly) engaged.
That was what I was expecting to happen, but it wasn't the case with my rifle.

The G2 also had about 2 mm of side to side movement. Dry testing the action indicated that it wasn't a problem, but when I took the rifle to the range, I had one instance of some kind of trigger malfunction and failure to fire out of 40 rounds fired.

That's weird. I don't understand why side to side trigger movement would cause a failure to fire. Did the hammer fall at all or was the trigger hanging up on something and not releasing the hammer? Edited by dmk0210

they must have reworked their stock FCG because every saiga .308 safety i have seen only has a small piece maybe a 1/4" on the lever, unlike others which have a leg that extends down in order for it to engage.

That's weird. I don't understand why side to side trigger movement would cause a failure to fire. Did the hammer fall at all or was the trigger hanging up on something and not releasing the hammer?

I'm not quite sure exactly what happened. It all happened very fast. I pulled the trigger and nothing happened; I cycled the round out and there was no striker mark on it. I put it back in the mag and then it fired fine. People who seem to know what they are talking about have said on this forum that too much trigger movement can cause random failures to fire and can even cause catastrophic failures, such as hammer breakage.

they must have reworked their stock FCG because every saiga .308 safety i have seen only has a small piece maybe a 1/4" on the lever, unlike others which have a leg that extends down in order for it to engage.

Mine has about 1/4" tab measured from the notch, about 1/2" from the top of the shaft.

People who seem to know what they are talking about have said on this forum that too much trigger movement can cause random failures to fire and can even cause catastrophic failures, such as hammer breakage.
Not saying that's wrong, it just doesn't make sense to me, unless the hammer is jamming up somehow when the bolt pushes it back. Mine doesn't seem to have enough play to do that.