So I think I'm starting my conversion in a week and a half

Saiga 5.45 to AK-74

First off, I was surprised to see that they have the dimples on the sides of the receiver (sorry, I don't know what they're for, but I know people mention them often). I just want to make sure I have everything that I'll need (not only rifle parts, but tools) and would appreciate your help.

1) Romanian wire side-folding stock

2) Wood hanguard set with gas tube and lower handguard retainer (is this all I'll need to mount it to a Saiga?)

3) Ergo pistol grip (with screw and grip nut)

4) Tapco trigger set

5) Tapco gas piston

6) Dinzag bullet guide kit (with drill bit, etc.)

So, will I need any other parts/bits/tools? (I'll be doing the conversion in my old man's workshop since he's got a dremel and drill press)

My biggest concern is moving the trigger group and installing the bullet guide. I'm also thinking about putting Duracoat on the area where the trigger group is now.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

You'll need something to hold the FCG pins in place, I recommend a Krebs retainer plate, but a shepherd's crook works too.

Is the gas tube off a 74 or AKM? If its off a 74 it should fit without issue. Others will need to be filed to fit. Reference the original gas tube for dimensions (I know this is common sense, but I just started filing on mine without thinking to compare to the original, and ended up ruining it).

If the pistol grip is US made, you might not need the Tapco gas piston. I'm trying to remember if a Saiga has 14 or 15 parts. I think its 14. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the tapco piston, based only on my experience with it. The only AK I have that malfunctions on a regular basis has a Tapco piston, and all the failures are ejection related. YMMV.

I think your best bet with the duracoat would be to do the whole gun. I'm not too familiar with the process, so I don't know if you'd want to strip the whole gun, or if you can just put the duracoat over the factory finish. I usually just use Duplicolor 500 degree engine enamel in semi flat black. It matches the factory finish well.

You say your biggest concern is moving the trigger, if you can operate a drill, its no problem, just take your time. I'm assuming you have a bolt on lower hand guard retainer, if not, my biggest concern would be removing the gas block and front sight to install the lower hand guard.

If the pistol grip is US made, you might not need the Tapco gas piston. I'm trying to remember if a Saiga has 14 or 15 parts. I think its 14. .... elvis christ....

I am in the same boat comtemplating (sp?) the $120 for Ironwood (US made) vs. Bulgy made wood $40 (and just sanding the piss out of it and going to try to go BLONDISH)..

If the Pistol Grip is US made does that and the FCG (3 parts) count as 4 parts for the BS 922r??? And there-by 10 or less foreign.. I'll order/make a wood PG to match the Bulgy.. But I was wondering the same thing. I think 14 as mine x39 is not threaded.

Maybe Naolith will be along and save us... 009.gif

If the pistol grip is US made, you might not need the Tapco gas piston. I'm trying to remember if a Saiga has 14 or 15 parts. I think its 14. .... elvis christ....

I am in the same boat comtemplating (sp?) the $120 for Ironwood (US made) vs. Bulgy made wood $40 (and just sanding the piss out of it and going to try to go BLONDISH)..

If the Pistol Grip is US made does that and the FCG (3 parts) count as 4 parts for the BS 922r??? And there-by 10 or less foreign.. I'll order/make a wood PG to match the Bulgy.. But I was wondering the same thing. I think 14 as mine x39 is not threaded.

Maybe Naolith will be along and save us... 009.gif

It's got 14, so adding the grip would make it 15. Therefore, you need 5 American parts (or at least to keep the foreign parts to 10).

It has 14 foreign parts in its original configuration, adding a US part will not add a foreign part.

It confuses me, I'm not really sure. If you're replacing 3 foreign parts (trigger, hammer disconnector) with 3 US part (trigger, hammer, disconnector), then you're down to 11 foreign part (more than 10). Adding a US pistol grip wouldn't change that fact, so I guess you will need the piston, or some US floor plates for you magazines, etc.

Edited by elvis christ

Yeah, I think the stock that I have has it as well. I may try to convert the lower handguard retainer to a bolt on as I've seen on here. I think that taking off the front sites and such may be a bit too much work. Anyone else have problems with the Tapco gas piston?