Saiga 12 SBS bolt carrier mods

Hello: Being new to this forum, please bear with me! I am converting my Saiga 12 to a SBS. I have in hand, one of the Kross "Hellion" handguards. By actual measurement, I see that I have to move the front gas block, rearward, exactly 3.87" or 98.32 MM. By doing this, the bolt carrier/gas piston assembly needs to be shortened a like amount.

This eliminates the gas piston completely, along with the front portion of the bolt carrier. It appears that at least a portion of the front part of the gas piston is necessary, to protrude through the rear wall of the gas block into the gas chamber 1/4 of an inch. This is necessary for the gas Puc to impinge upon, forcing the gas piston/bolt piston/bolt carrier rearward, cycling the action. It appears that some have accomplished the same action, by removing the gas piston, filling in the front of the bolt carrier, reshaping it a little, boring out the rear hole in the gas block, and using the bolt carrier as a piston. This strikes me as rather crude. What is the correct way to do this mod?

I need some enlightenment! Thanks

Hello: Being new to this forum, please bear with me! I am converting my Saiga 12 to a SBS. I have in hand, one of the Kross "Hellion" handguards. By actual measurement, I see that I have to move the front gas block, rearward, exactly 3.87" or 98.32 MM. By doing this, the bolt carrier/gas piston assembly needs to be shortened a like amount.

This eliminates the gas piston completely, along with the front portion of the bolt carrier. It appears that at least a portion of the front part of the gas piston is necessary, to protrude through the rear wall of the gas block into the gas chamber 1/4 of an inch. This is necessary for the gas Puc to impinge upon, forcing the gas piston/bolt piston/bolt carrier rearward, cycling the action. It appears that some have accomplished the same action, by removing the gas piston, filling in the front of the bolt carrier, reshaping it a little, boring out the rear hole in the gas block, and using the bolt carrier as a piston. This strikes me as rather crude. What is the correct way to do this mod?

Your close ..... 3.75" for 8" guns .... longer barrels don't reqiure the same dwell time

the bolt carrier/gas piston assembly needs to be shortened a like amount.... correct

appears that at least a portion of the front part of the gas piston is necessary ...incorrect, weld and reshape the carrier

boring out the rear hole in the gas block...correct, and taper

This strikes me as rather crude ..... just as the AK :ph34r:

Edited by saigatechusa
  • Like 2

Your close ..... 3.75" for 8" guns .... longer barrels don't reqiure the same dwell time

the bolt carrier/gas piston assembly needs to be shortened a like amount.... correct

appears that at least a portion of the front part of the gas piston is necessary ...incorrect, weld and reshape the carrier

boring out the rear hole in the gas block...correct, and taper

This strikes me as rather crude ..... just as the AK :ph34r:

Thanks for the info Saigatechusa!

I don't mean to be insulting but you do have the proper NFA paperwork already stamped and in hand before you start this little journey right ?

No insult taken! I will complete the entire conversion, minus the barrel bob, then will submit paperwork, when that returns, , then the amputation will take place, by a proper professional. Thanks for your concern though.