How Short is Short Enough?

So I have my Saiga converted and all the bells and whistles exactly like I like it, but I would like to shorten the barrel to the minimum legal length (without having it classified as an SBS and getting a stamp for it...I live in AZ). I have two questions:

1) How short can you cut the barrel without it being classified as an SBS? (And if you permanently attach the brake, does that count for overall length?)

2) Is there anyone on the forum that does this kind of work (and is in AZ)? I would like to get a ball park on what it would cost to cut it down, get it re-threaded, and the shark brake/sight put back on.

Also, does anyone see a problem with doing this (sight radius, etc)? And if you have any suggestions on how to improve the setup I have, feel free to chime in. I'm thinking about a weaponlight, but that's about it. Trying to keep it simple.

Thank you,

MoF

post-15027-12664521984611_thumb.jpg

You can go to 18" measured from the bolt face. Most people like to leave at least .25-.50" of wiggle room to stay on the safe side. Yes a permanently attached brake counts in the barrel length.

You can do the measurements and see if you thinking taking off a few inches in length is worth all the effort and expense. To me, probably not. I'd spend the money elsewhere.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who though the SGM tri rail would look better with its nose chopped off!

Why havn't you posted pics of your gun befor now?

Oh and to answer the question, We have a number of vendors that would do it, I'm not sure what the cost would be(ask them for quotes). You can have it chopped to 18" of barrel length and yes permanently attached breaks do count.

Zambidis,

Looks like a lot of trouble for 2 inches (there's a penis joke in there somewhere). Fuggit. I'll leave it unless I want to go the SBS route.

Nailbomb,

That's funny about the SGM handguard. I didn't know anyone else liked it that way. It just didn't look right with that little dingleberry hanging off the front, so I took the band saw to it. I have posted pictures at various stages of completion, but this is the first post with it configured like this.

What do you guys think of the sling? I stripped the strap and fastex buckles off of an old safariland drop leg platform that was a PoS (WECSOG!!!). The material is semi-elastic, so if you throw it back, over your head (Suarez style), it keeps the impact on your shoulders/neck to a minimum. Feels kind of crazy if you run with it, though.

Thank you.

Edited by ManOnFire