End Result

Very nice build sulphur! 027.gif

Did you finish the furniture yourself or do it come to you that way? Looks awesome!

Nope I refinished it myself. I used Laurel Mountain Forge stain, Cherry. I used a little bit of black dye (Rit Dye) to darken the stain. The cherry is very, very, red. I stripped the stock set I got from a vendor on the net, and slowly started in on staining the set. Sanded it down with a little 420 grit paper, very lighly, and then topped it off with several coats of plain polyurethane (semi gloss). If you want to buy some of the Laurel Mountain Forge stuff I suggest getting the gunsmith set, it's like $38 dollars. I like to refinish AK47 stocks and found this stuff to be pretty good. A buddy of mine suggested I try it and I was very happy. I wanted a red stain but didn't want to do adding rit dye to polyurethane. Not that I don't like that look, just wanted the wood to be stained not the polyurethane.

Link: http://www.store.laurelmountainforge.com/

Great job! Since you like to refinish stock sets, could I pick your brain? Do you know if AK laminate is stainable? I wasn't sure if the stock you pictured here was laminate or not.

Once again, beautiful work.

This is my understanding, and please if anyone wants to correct me, by all means go ahead, that's the only way to learn.

I believe you can stain a laminate stock. I have done so many times. The thing you really have to watch is stripping an old or already stained or poly covered stock. The laminate of course is glued together (lack of a better description) but some stripping can weaken the glue holding the layers of wood together (not good).

The stock on my .223 above is a laminated stock that I stripped with a water base stripper. As a matter of fact I am wating on a PSL handguard set from Matt at Ironwood Designs. That set is a birch laminate that I will stain to match the laminated stock I already got from him.

Whatever you have in mind I would make this suggestion. There are plenty of old Romy stock sets or buttstocks out there, buy one, don't spend a lot of money. Clean it up, strip it, sand it, whatever you think needs to be done to it and then use that stock set to get an idea of what you want to do. As a matter of fact I think I am sitting on 8 to 10 buttstocks and a few sets I bought so I didn't mess up the one I wanted to use on my gun.

Hope this helps and if you want just PM me and I am more than willing to share details.

Sulphur