Saiga cleaning rods

• 2 weeks later...

My guess would be that you are receiving sporterized versions of AK's. The cleaning rods are, well, for cleaning and were never meant to be toted under the barrel of a sporter rifle, or you'd have a hole in your forearm and the proper front sight block that accommodates the rod, like the military version.

So what were saying that if cut down and installed under the barrel it might come out when fired? I only wanted to put it on the rifle to look better.Stan

A cleaning rod of proper length when inserted into an appropriate lower hand guard and using the correct front sight block with the small ears to accommodate the rod usually gives it a bit of a bend just enough so that the rod should stay in place.

yeah, it's because your gun isn't meant to have it mounted under it, so they give you a longer one for cleaning purposes... I actually use my saiga cleaning rods on my AK just because I think longer makes it easier

yeah, it's because your gun isn't meant to have it mounted under it, so they give you a longer one for cleaning purposes... I actually use my saiga cleaning rods on my AK just because I think longer makes it easier

Think that's what I said.:rolleyes:

I tend to think of cleaning rods on rifles as more of a cosmetic thing. Sure, you can use them in a pinch, but you really should be using a bore snake.

I prefer cleaning rods and patches for thorough cleans myself.

Just out of curiousity, why do you suggest a bore snake over a cleaning rod and patches? Other than convenience.

Edited by Chevyman097

I tend to think of cleaning rods on rifles as more of a cosmetic thing. Sure, you can use them in a pinch, but you really should be using a bore snake.

Just out of curiousity, why do you suggest a bore snake over a cleaning rod and patches? Other than convenience.

Generally, I just think they work better for everyday cleaning, and there is zero chance of messing up the barrel or damaging the crown accidentally.

Interesting to note, the cap to the AK cleaning kit has a hole in it's center. That's because it's designed to be placed over the muzzle of the weapon in order to make sure that a soldier doesn't gouge the hell out of their crown.

assembledcleaningrod.jpg

Edited by Jigen

Generally, I just think they work better for everyday cleaning, and there is zero chance of messing up the barrel or damaging the crown accidentally.

Interesting to note, the cap to the AK cleaning kit has a hole in it's center. That's because it's designed to be placed over the muzzle of the weapon in order to make sure that a soldier doesn't gouge the hell out of their crown.

Ive never worried about messing up a rifle with my cleaning rod. Guess Ive just had plenty of experience. I personally prefer the rod and patches, I just feel like I get my gun cleaner. Bore snakes just tend to retail more filth imo. I do use them from time to time due to convenience but it isnt my prefered method.

It seems to me it would take a lot of ignorance or abuse to dmg a rifle with the cleaning rod.