SAR 1 worth having?

I am pondering a SAR 1 available locally. Is one of these worth having? Appears to be in great shape, but it has Crapco furniture (but a folding stock). Only comes with one mag, no other extras.

Worth having? Any idea on value?

What do you think?

Edited by canoecanoe

I have one in almost new condition - great gun, heard a lot of people bag on them but I got a good one. Most of the ones I've seen for sale had a lot of use to them and were as loose as any beat up akm.

My advice is if it is in good shape with a clean bore and a decent price - go for it. Prices are all over the place lately but I would say $3-400 is fair.

I am pondering a SAR 1 available locally. Is one of these worth having? Appears to be in great shape, but it has Crapco furniture (but a folding stock). Only comes with one mag, no other extras.

Worth having? Any idea on value?

What do you think?

I have a few. Check and see if the sights are canted...that is the only fault of a lot of SAR's. Mine all are durable and reliable with any mag, and accuracy is average AK. One of my SAR-1s is super accurate for some reason, probably my most accurate AK. If it is in good shape, I'd say $400 to $450 would be fair price.

it's a used gun, and a post ban one at that. and not anyway shape or form a desirable or 'rare". I wouldn't even remotely call it as "collectable" either. workmanship on those is crap just like the WASRs, , so no way a used SAR is worth anywhere above the 300 dollar range, except for the seller.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • 2 weeks later...

SAR's are like any Romanian rifle; they're built from quality AKM parts but fit and finish are hit or miss. Cugir's QA isn't exactly up to "picky" American standards, (we expect our fsb's and gas blocks to not have cant to em :D ).

Anyway, if you can personally inspect it beforehand and see no build or wear issues, my advice is to buy it if you can get it for ~$300.