To Fold or Collapse

I'm a newbie to this forum. Hi to you all.

I joined because I'm the proud owner of a new Saiga 12.

I've ordered the conversion parts and plan on starting some handguard mod's this coming weekend.

I'm in no rush, but I definitely plan on scrapping the stock and switching to a folder or collapsible.

It looks like most opt for the folding stocks, judging by the picture posts.

If folder, how do you determine the size you need? I see that the ace skeleton that I like comes in 7.5, 8.5 and 9.5 inch lengths and there are different thickness butt pads as well.

On the other hand, collapsible gives you a range to choose from, but wouldn't close down as small. (My other long gun is a Yugo M70AB2 and I have a small soft gun case that could do double duty if I go with a folder.) I'm liking the Magpul CTR

I'd appreciate some input as to why you went one way or the other.

(I suppose if I went really crazy I could set up the Magpul to fold as well??

Edited by one2za

Why chose get both. Ace makes an adapter to use AR stocks with their folding mechanisms.

But on to your question the different lengths are to change you length of pull. A general rule of thumb for this is to measure the distance from the inside of you elbow to the curve of you finger. This will give you a rough idea of what you need just remember that how thick your clothing it will effect this and it may not fit other shooters well,that is why some people go with a collapsing stock.

Why chose get both. Ace makes an adapter to use AR stocks with their folding mechanisms.

I second the idea of both. I just welded a back plate on my receiver and put on the ace AR adapter with a DPMS 6 position stock. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the input guys.

On a purely aesthetic note, I am leaning towards the Ace skeleton folder. I think it looks better.

I'm having a hard time with the looks of an M4 collapsible on this rifle.

It just seems more suitable on an AR.

This was my gut reaction and I seem to keep coming back to it.

Thanks for the input guys.

On a purely aesthetic note, I am leaning towards the Ace skeleton folder. I think it looks better.

I'm having a hard time with the looks of an M4 collapsible on this rifle.

It just seems more suitable on an AR.

This was my gut reaction and I seem to keep coming back to it.

I agree with you about the look of the M4 stock. I orginally put tapco's M4 stock when I first converted my saiga. I had it on there for awhile but didn't never like the look of it, I now have the folding model that tapco makes. It looks much better in my opinion!