Reattaching the stock during conversion

I've been having trigger reset issues with my s12 so I finally decided to convert it and hope that fixes it. I've been reading up for the past couple days. One question I still haven't found the answer to is this.... If I use a bolt in reciever block for the stock, will it add more overall lenght to the gun than if I use a weld in plate? Can you see the screws that attach the bolt on model? Is the bolt on as ridgid? Any other +/- of bolt in vs weld on (aside from ease of install and price of course.)

I'm also wondering about the angle. Everyone advertises that they weld the reciever plate on at the correct angle. I have noticed that on Tromix's website, the guns they have pictured do not all have the same angle. On some the stock points slightly down. On others it is parallel with the barrel.What is the "correct" angle? Is it the 3 degrees that the internal reciever blocks advertise? I'm looking at the DPH stock incase it makes a difference. Now I'm assuming that if that 3 degree angle is right,m it is taking material off the top of the reciever and not the bottom, creating a v-shaped angle, not an upside-down V?

Unless you like welding, I would just go Ace internal and forget about it. Uses the stock screw holes except for the upper tang which gets filed off flush to receiver, so no you don't see any extra screws. The main complaint is usually the extra holes in the receiver. Some plug them to look like rivets, others tap the new block and use the extra holes as attachment points. I left the holes visible and they look fine. No problems at all with the internal block being sturdy enough. It's rock solid.

Don't have a close up of my block, but works fine with my folder. On the bottom pic, you can see the extra length it adds (black plate behind the grey folder plate). Any extra length is hardly worth mentioning. (1/4" over a weld-on maybe?)

familypics001-14.jpg

familypics002-17.jpg

Edited by Rustynuts

Unless you like welding, I would just go Ace internal and forget about it.

+1. Just installed an ace internal, and it was pretty easy and gave a clean looking final product.

If I welded one in, I'd be stuck having to grind down joints and refinishing the receiver. None of that with the screw-in block.

I just wanted to "do it right" the first time and I see tromix etc, selling theirs for ungodly amounts, I figured there must be an advantage of welding everything as opposed to bolt on and diy... The weld on is $30 cheaper, but my time is definately worth something also... What about the stock safety stop with weld on t-guard. Is that any cleaner looking than the diy one?

I'm not opposed to weld-on parts (in fact I'm trying to convince myself it must be better,)but if I'm going that route I feel like there should be a reason for the extra work...

Cleaner, more professional apperance if you know how to weld and blend correctly. Plus you do the side holes while you're there.

You'll have to eyeball the thing youself to see what angle looks good to you...generally its about 1.5 to 3 degrees of droop to the butt. This lines up the rear sight better and the comb line matches the top receiver line better. But it's a nuance, so don't sweat it too much.

I have to LOL @ "ungodly amounts" though...what do you think is a fair price for the work? Most Tromix that sell in the aftermarket go for more than retail...maybe we need to raise our prices.

I just wanted to "do it right" the first time and I see tromix etc, selling theirs for ungodly amounts, I figured there must be an advantage of welding everything as opposed to bolt on and diy... The weld on is $30 cheaper, but my time is definately worth something also... What about the stock safety stop with weld on t-guard. Is that any cleaner looking than the diy one?

I'm not opposed to weld-on parts (in fact I'm trying to convince myself it must be better,)but if I'm going that route I feel like there should be a reason for the extra work...

I thought Tromix guns were over priced when I first got into Saigas, now I think they are a bargain. I have $900.00 in my S12 and it isn't anywhere near where I want it. It needs to have the holes welded up, HK sights welded, and the gun needs to be refinished. Oh and it sure we be nice to have a gun that didn't have FTEs every time I took it to the range. I have shot one of Tony's sticks, the thing was flat out awesome and I plan on getting one as soon as I get my class 3 going. I only wish Tromix took Saigas in for tuning, but with their work load that will never happen.

I have to LOL @ "ungodly amounts" though...what do you think is a fair price for the work? Most Tromix that sell in the aftermarket go for more than retail...maybe we need to raise our prices.

I just went back and actually added up the parts tally, I guess it is a really good price, it just makes my jaw drop to see one sell for well over a grand...