AR Pistol....I'm sorry cruel world

Yup I saw it, it's a shrike....$8000.00 later you realize you should have just bought a semi-auto 50 BMG instead. If I could get one in something other than 5.56 and could do it for under $2000.00 I would do it.

How about this, any belt fed upper conversions out there?

03A-Shrike-006.jpg:devil:

That's a Shrike beltfed conversion in case you are wondering WTF?

Isn't that one of those products that TONS of people pre-paid for, years ago.........and it's still not available yet?

Like the pre-pay for Mikes drum way back when a lot of people got in on on it.

As time goes by more and more people canceled.

For some reason even after canceling the people involved with the Shrike keep bitching that they never got it years ago.

Ares is caught up on orders for the most part.

In fact you can go to Global Tactical Supply and pick one up with a 20 inch barrel.

This is a question that's pretty much aimed at the Tromix crew, or anyone who has done such things. If I buy a 6.8 AR upper that has a 14.5" to 16" barrel and cut it down to 12.5", will this affect its reliability or will it still cycle ok? I already plan on using a heavier tungsten buffer to help with the recoil of the .458 SOCOM, is this a bad idea?

Yup I saw it, it's a shrike....$8000.00 later you realize you should have just bought a semi-auto 50 BMG instead. If I could get one in something other than 5.56 and could do it for under $2000.00 I would do it.

How about this, any belt fed upper conversions out there?

LM7_02.jpg

lm7basic2.jpg

I've been looking around a decent amount since there are about a bazillion upper options for the AR. I think the 300/221 fireball is going to be my first choice upper wise. The ballistics are pretty awesome but the thing that gets me is I can make brass for it out of .223 brass and use .30 caliber bullets, I load a lot of .308WM for my FALs and keep a lot of bullets for it laying around. It would be nice to be shooting the same caliber (of bullets) out of the "pistol" and the rifle.

This seems like a real deal saver as well as a hard hitting short to mid range round with very little recoil even when loaded super-sonic. However I don't know this for a fact because I've never shot this caliber before so anyone who can throw there two cents in that has experience with it please chime in at anytime.

Still would like a 6.8SPC just not sure if I feel like paying a super premium to put 20 rounds down range. The .458 SOCOM is still a must of 500+ grains of goodness!

• 2 weeks later...

There has finally been headway on this project. After drooling over KrisFoxs MGI setup and wanting so many different choices caliber wise I had to put my nose to the grind stone. This project went from building an AR pistol for my buddy to really understanding how far the AR platform has come since I last put my hands on one. My buddies is done now and stuffed away for the day he comes to town, I won't say I cheaped out on him but I can't say I "built" it either. I did the old "I'll take that and one of them and I'm out".

The same time I started this build I had been looking for something compact to go with my Glock 20 and refused to look at anything AR, thank god my ignorance finally wore off.

I now have looked at this as my new addition to the "bug out bag". I wanted the multi caliber capability without carrying all the extra weight, I also didn't want a POS cheap upper. I just couldn't find a way to build three different uppers without loosing a left nut financially (or having my wife cut it off).

I found a hell of a deal on an MGI upper and took the plunge since the price was right. I have a feeling I won't regret it. My lower arrives this week, the upper at the beginning of May and the barrels I haven't decided where I'm going to purchase from (enter suggestions here). The only thing left I have to decide on is what pistol grip and what after market trigger (enter suggestion here).

I'm going to be going with the following calibers.

6.8SPC

300 Fireball

458 Socom

• 3 months later...

Been a minute since I've been here, thought I'd update since I've been drooling over an almost complete project for over a month now. I did receive the MGI upper, that thing is pimp as hell. It was the older model but I really wasn't searching for the newest thing and the price was perfect. The barrels and bolts are still in the process of being made. I decided to stick with the .300 fireball and the .458 SOCOM and ditch the 6.8SPC, it's just to damn expensive and I'm already set up to reload the others. I am getting a .223 barrel and a .22lr drop in kit for a little squirrel hunting. I am considering some pistol calibers also but I have a few questions about that (see below). I'm also still hung up on optics and iron sights. I've chosen MWG drums and P-Mags for my magazines and I'd still love to find a belt fed upper that won't cost a million bucks (that's pretty much a pipe dream at this point).

Questions:

Does anyone have suggestions for a company that makes magwell magazine blocks so that I could use Glock mags?

I'm really having trouble making a decision in the optics department. I like red dots for up close but really want some decent magnification also. The average rifle scope does not give enough eye relief. I keep coming back to either the IOR Valdada series the trusty EO Tech or a Trijicon w/ a red dot mounted, suggestions?

What's your favorite drop in trigger upgrade?

Does anyone use the Magpul Battery Assist Device? http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-BAD-Battery-Assist-Device-p/mag980.htm

Does anyone know of a charging handle that has the latch on the right side as opposed to the left?

I want to replace the grip, any suggestions?

Thanks a ton fellas,

YARP

Questions:

1. Does anyone have suggestions for a company that makes magwell magazine blocks so that I could use Glock mags?

2. I'm really having trouble making a decision in the optics department. I like red dots for up close but really want some decent magnification also. The average rifle scope does not give enough eye relief. I keep coming back to either the IOR Valdada series the trusty EO Tech or a Trijicon w/ a red dot mounted, suggestions?

3. What's your favorite drop in trigger upgrade?

4. Does anyone use the Magpul Battery Assist Device? http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-BAD-Battery-Assist-Device-p/mag980.htm

5. Does anyone know of a charging handle that has the latch on the right side as opposed to the left?

6. I want to replace the grip, any suggestions?

1. As far as I know, there are only lowers that are machined to accept Glock mags. I don't think there is an actual block you can put into a standard lower to accept Glock mags. I'm not 100% sure though. I know Oly and Lone Wolf Distributors make lowers that accept Glock mags, and that's all the accept..

2. If I had the money, I'd go Trijicon all the way. Otherwise, I'd go Aimpoint, personally. Eotech's are good too. No knowledge of the IOR Valdada stuff.

3. I've never messed with any of the triggers in my AR.

4. I don't personally use one, but it's got great reviews. If it's going on an AR that might be used for SD/HD one day, I'd recommend getting lots of trigger time with it. As using it will make some changes in how you operate your weapon.

5. I'm not sure of any that has the latch on only the right, but Badger makes an ambidextrous charging handle, with a latch on both sides.

6. I'm a huge fan of Magpul's MIAD. Same goes for the Magpul MOE, which is the same size as the MIAD with the medium backstrap.