Wassup all? I've posted a few times on the Saiga-12 forum, but not yet here. I'm wondering what's up with my Kel-tec .380. It's a great size, and very affordable, but it jams once a magazine. Needless to say, if I'm concealed carrying, the only time it's going to be brought out is life or death situations, and I don't want to wonder if it will work in that kind of position.

Does anyone else have this kind of trouble with it? I disassembled it and noticed the main recoil spring isn't linear, it's kind of bent up. Could this cause that big a problem? Also, I'm shooting cheap ammo. If I shot only Federals or Speer, think it'd be more reliable? I don't want to go out and go through a box of hollow-points at the range if y'all can advise me, but if I have to I will. Do you think a REALLY good cleaning and super-intense lube-job would do the trick? Should I try to replace that spring that is bent? Or is it simply the fact that it's a $240 gun and I can't expect too much out of it? Thanks for any advice y'all can offer.

Also, has anyone tried the laser thing for it? It's like Laser Aiming Systems or something? Makes it print like a wallet but give a downfield laser dot...Worth the $130?

Do yourself a favor and carry the USP compact I see in the photo. Little Keltecs are just enough to get you in trouble; you fire one round and it jams and you've now escalated an intense situation into a gun fight that you can no longer participate in!

If you want a thin gun, go for a Khar or a Walther.

I carry a P-11. Have over 1000 rounds with no misfeeds or misfires. Kel-Tecs do like the grease, make sure the slide is well lubed. I shoot cheapo Wal-Mart winchester ammo at the range, carry it with Hydra-Shoks. KTOG.org is the best place for all kinds of info. Try different ammo for a start, like CCI or smoe other off-brand stuff.

I agree with trying some other ammo.

I have a sig that is so picky about target ammo.

Winchester white box FMJ, is the only "target" stuff that has been 100% reliable.

PMC, Remington UMC, American Eagle have all caused problems so far with this thing.

I own a kel tec 380 and 32. The 380 do to its size is prone to jam if you limp wrist it, and is well known. Just check out the forums at ktog.org and ktrange.com

I often carry the 380, you just have to remember to hold it good and tight and steady. Also, you might want to look into the mag extension, as it provides better grip and will cut down on the possiblitiy of a jam.

As for a good fluff and buff, check out the ktog.org for a detailed walk through. The KelTec pistols are nice, but are very rough when they leave the factory. But the more rounds you put through it, the better ir shoots as it "loosens" up a little.

Thanks all! I just joined the Keltec forum, so you may see some posts from me there soon too. Also, I usually carry the H&K USP45c, but I use a small of the back holster which I don't like wearing with tucked in shirts, so I want a back-up piece just in case I have to go super-formal and be tucked in. Have a great one! And I'll see everyone on the various forums.

Aww, I must be a wuss then. 5'11" 200lbs at <8% bf and I can't even keep my wrist stiff enough for a .380. :unsure: Thank y'all, I definately won't take offense. I think I have generally been keeping a limp wrist to absorb the awkward kick that such a small gun generates and never realized that it would be a problem. I'll stiffen up and let y'all know how it goes. I don't get to shoot often, but I'm going out in a few weeks and will definately bring a few hundred rounds for each gun and let you know the results. It'll also be my first time shooting the Saiga-12, and I can't wait! If y'all think of anything else, please let me know.

Also, has anyone had any experience with the PocketSlipper laser-aiming system offered for CCWs? Specifically, the P3-AT? I'm considering it, but am a bit hesitant. Thanks.

I've been prone to do the limp wrist at times as well. One time I had a cut one my trigger finger...and the only pistol that bothered it was the 380. For a long time I was actually fun shy with the little fellow, just because my finger remembered the sting that sharp recoil caused on the old finger.

I would definitely invest in a trigger stop, as it helps with control and recoil, as you don't pull back so much. As for the lady slipper, in theory great setup, in practice its horrible. It puts and awkward hold on the gun and takes time getting use to it. http://pocketslipper.com/install.html only two fingers to control the gun.

Realize, the p3-at is a pretty accurate pistol if you train with it, and accuracy is somewhat improved with the p-site. But in actual function it is a gut shooter as you are pushing away or 7 yards out. Anything past that and its anybody's game. I still recommend you practice at 15 and 25 yards, and at 7 yards practice point shooting not sighting. You're not going to get 1 inch groups, but I bet if you practice enough you can hit all six in a 8x11 chest area (just stick up a peice of colored craft paper at chest height and shoot)

It will get you use to shooting at different "colors" ie clothes, instead of always focus on the circle in the bullseye. and 8x11 is pretty close to the average area holding the heart , mediastinum, and lungs.

Edited by Gedi

my Kel-Tec required quite a bit of breakin, and yes, is very sensitive to "limp wristing". Never had a problem on my .45's or even my .40S&W P2000sk, .357mag or .44mag.

I think its the combination of a very small gun, hard to grasp, and the block back design.

Thanks Gedi. I think you just changed my entire outlook on shooting. I've hardly done anything but target training: going for 2" groups at 15yards. But you're right, if I unholster, rarely will I have the opportunity to take careful aim and put a round exactly where I want it. I'd be better just pointing quickly for the first few rounds so long as I can keep my rounds on target since I don't want any misses straying anywhere that could cause a problem. I will start practicing ASAP pointing instead of aiming with both my guns, and start varying the visual stimulation I'm pointing at (color changes) since that would be most useful. I'll also be sure to keep a stiffer wrist.

You mentioned a trigger stop, but where would I go to find one? I'm not very familiar with them, so any suggestions or direction would be most helpful. Thanks all!!!

My pleasure. The trigger stop doesn't have to be fancy, I use one of those rubber feet for elctronics to keep them from scratching the wood.

Other ideas

http://1bad69.com/keltec/whitestop.htm

My dad is a retired police officer, and he always said the one thing they taught him at the academy was how to make holes in a paper target. The first time he was in a "shoot out" It was across the hood of a car with him on on side and a guy who had just robbed a convenient store on the other side. All he remembered was pulling the trigger and thinking someone is actually shooting at me. After that he began to look into true combat/defensive shooting, and a lot of what he "learned" he trained in me since I could hold a pistol and say bang.

The best thing I can think of, is to look for a local chapter of the IDPA at www.idpa.com

What I like to do, is setup a few targets, and have a buddy call out which one to hit. I have some bright colored stickers from work. They are for lable printing..

We just get two lanes side by side, set one up closer, one farther.. etc. He'll callout say "Green".. "Yellow" "pink".. etc.