Saiga life span

I think this must be true because thousands are shooting Saigas and no seems to ever report having a useless rifle because the extractor broke.

I will agree that its rare to have an extractor break. In the rare even that it does, a dremel would probably reshape a 74 extractor nicely

to work with 7.62x39.

Based on the few 7.62 rounds I extracted using a 5.45 extractor, I think the 5.45 extractor should work with 7.62 rounds, but as 762 points out, if there were a problem there is always the option of possibly reshaping the 5.45 extractor. BTW, I just read Gabe Suarez's article in the new AK magazine. He states that in 5 years of AK training sessions shooting an estimated total of 2 million rounds, his AKs did not break a part. Again, this matches statements from others with a lot of AK experience.

Based on the few 7.62 rounds I extracted using a 5.45 extractor, I think the 5.45 extractor should work with 7.62 rounds, but as 762 points out, if there were a problem there is always the option of possibly reshaping the 5.45 extractor. BTW, I just read Gabe Suarez's article in the new AK magazine. He states that in 5 years of AK training sessions shooting an estimated total of 2 million rounds, his AKs did not break a part. Again, this matches statements from others with a lot of AK experience.

Well guys, I guess this is more true for non-chinese AK's like russian and the better euro ones.

The chinese ones seem to have a higher incidence of parts breaking and this includes chinese sks.

mak 90 bolt

img1050u.jpg

someone elses mak90 bolt

AK3.jpg

Case rupture reported on theakforum due to a chinese type 56 barrel pin shearing cause a headspace problem which resulted in

a case busting and jamming in the chamber

001-11.jpg

This is the third chinese sks rod I have seen in the past 12 months break

002-9.jpg

By the way, none of these broken pieces are mine.

Sometimes they never break even through 100,000 rounds and beyond.

The Russian parts seem to be much stronger than the chinese parts.

So I may never need to use any of my spare parts which is fine with me.

zko5ds.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

The Chinese parts probably have too much lead content :angel:

I suspect the grayish color on certain chinese parts is due to using nickle or chrome to make them somewhat stainless but that softens

the steel alloy a bit and they might not have been heat treated correctly. It takes a while for arsenals to perfect certain techniques.

The russians have been doing these long enough that its closer to a perfect science with the ruskies. The recent south korean ak mags

early on were coming apart easily and I think they improved a bit but still not as good as some other well seasoned arsenal like from bulgaria

or izhmash. I would be hesitant to trust a new start up arsenal like for example if Mexico tooled up to make something.

• 2 years later...

Well guys, I guess this is more true for non-chinese AK's like russian and the better euro ones.

The chinese ones seem to have a higher incidence of parts breaking and this includes chinese sks.

mak 90 bolt

img1050u.jpg

someone elses mak90 bolt

AK3.jpg

Case rupture reported on theakforum due to a chinese type 56 barrel pin shearing cause a headspace problem which resulted in

a case busting and jamming in the chamber

001-11.jpg

This is the third chinese sks rod I have seen in the past 12 months break

002-9.jpg

By the way, none of these broken pieces are mine.

Sometimes they never break even through 100,000 rounds and beyond.

The Russian parts seem to be much stronger than the chinese parts.

So I may never need to use any of my spare parts which is fine with me.

zko5ds.jpg

hey man do u wanna get rid of one of those k-var maintainance kits?

He may still have them, its only been 2 and a half years since the last post.

naaaa.gif Don't you just love when that happens? Spetnaz....don't feel too bad, I have done it too.....sometimes you get to reading and don't even realize what you just read (or bumped) was old as fuck! If my732buzz does not have them to sale Kvar does! Ask how I know!

More content for the dead thread... Both Arsenal Bulgaria and Radom Poland have published datasheets on their military sales rifles. To give you an idea, they both rate the service life of a hammer-forged barrel within the 15k-20k range - that is on full-automatic test fire.

I think the semi-auto variants will indeed be around a very long time in the average plinker's hands. They are all using the same materials and processes when building civi exports, with obvious design differences for SA-only operation.

Also the Chinse pics reinforce my personal opinion about various Chinese export products. They didn't give a shit if a rifle blows up in some westerner's face. It's not like they were ever going to get sued.

I have seen some pretty junky Chinese AKs and own a late-model Norinco DP SKS, which appeared to be unfired when I bought it - op rod head spotless, gas tube was shiny & spotless, etc. I have probably put less than 1k rounds trough that rifle, and it broke a firing pin. It deformed like it was made of butter. Replaced it with a spring-loaded US pin, but who know what else may break? It has been a great rifle otherwise. Fortunately SKS lockup method is way stronger than the AK design.

Edited by mancat