Vepr mag conversions

Sent my Robinson Arms .308 Vepr to Krebs Custom to have it converted to accept Saiga .308 Surefire mags. Marc deemed it to be an unsafe conversion, due to radical milling required on the front trunnion. I then asked about modifying the mags to fit the gun, and he said that wouldn't be a good idea either, due to the amount that would have to be removed from the mag bodies, leaving them weak and prone to possible failure. He said the best thing, would be to modify the rifle to accept Galil .308 mags, which would be a safe, clean and simple operation. New 25 round IWI Galil mags are availible right now on the net for $99 a pop, while 5 and 10 round Vepr mags, are virtually non- existant. I then asked about converting M14/M1A mags to Galil configuration to save on money. He said it would be "False economy" because, the M-1A mags would end up costing more, if you had them professionaly done, than the Galil mags, and wouldn't be reliable.(That why nobody does them anymore) Everything is about liability and reliability these days, and that's good from my point of view. I guess I'll order a few of the Galil mags, while they are availible, and wait to see if any more show up later. Hope this info is of interest. Oh, once I figure out how to do it, I'll post pics of the Vepr!

UPDATE: 3/17/10

Just checked..ony 300 new IWI 25 rnd .308 Galil mags left on the net... they don't know when or even "if" any more will ever be available again..just thought i'd pass it along! I'd post the site, but don't know if thats OK...E-mail me I guess!

Edited by HAIFISCH
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up. Will at Red Jacket does the Vepr to Saiga mag conversion work. Like Krebs, have 2 (Vepr/Saiga KTR03s) a couple years ago they got out of the custom work business. Having a Vepr worked over now into a hybrid Galil platform that uses Saiga mags. His work is top notch and have had him do a S-308. Sent a FBMG, Surefire, and a metal csspecs mag with weapon. Said a slight alteration to mag, yet can still function in Saiga. The conversion is based on modification to both weapon and mag. :smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my Vepr .308 from the dealer on Thursday (that gun cost way the hell too much). I've been working off of a mag I picked up at a gun show a year ago.

Anyway looks like a simple mag to fabricate. Feed lips are going to be slightly thinner for it to fit (18GA vs. 16ga). I also need to make a punched out front tab as the Vepr mag is shorter by roughly 1/10th inch, and I don't want to change the base design that much.

The Vepr feed angle is way better from a designing standpoint, should be less annoying then the saiga was.

I have a lot of projects going, so no idea when I'll have them done, but it should not be very long as I'm only changing like three things.

EDIT: Vepr mags are built and on my website. Only 20rd mags at this time, low capacity mags should be selling in November to early December.

• 5 months later...

Sent my Robinson Arms .308 Vepr to Krebs Custom to have it converted to accept Saiga .308 Surefire mags. Marc deemed it to be an unsafe conversion, due to radical milling required on the front trunnion. I then asked about modifying the mags to fit the gun, and he said that wouldn't be a good idea either, due to the amount that would have to be removed from the mag bodies, leaving them weak and prone to possible failure. He said the best thing, would be to modify the rifle to accept Galil .308 mags, which would be a safe, clean and simple operation. New 25 round IWI Galil mags are availible right now on the net for $99 a pop, while 5 and 10 round Vepr mags, are virtually non- existant. I then asked about converting M14/M1A mags to Galil configuration to save on money. He said it would be "False economy" because, the M-1A mags would end up costing more, if you had them professionaly done, than the Galil mags, and wouldn't be reliable.(That why nobody does them anymore) Everything is about liability and reliability these days, and that's good from my point of view. I guess I'll order a few of the Galil mags, while they are availible, and wait to see if any more show up later. Hope this info is of interest. Oh, once I figure out how to do it, I'll post pics of the Vepr!

UPDATE: 3/17/10

Just checked..ony 300 new IWI 25 rnd .308 Galil mags left on the net... they don't know when or even "if" any more will ever be available again..just thought i'd pass it along! I'd post the site, but don't know if thats OK...E-mail me I guess!