Shooting at the pistol range?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you shoot your .223 at the pistol range? I always see .223 casings on the ground at the local pistol range, but it doesn't seem like a really good idea to me. I am going to be buying a Saiga in the next couple of weeks and am undecided between the .223 and the 7.62. I'm leaning towards .223 since I already have an SKS but I spend most of my range time at the pistol range. Thanks.

The range I used to go to had a STRICT "only pistols and shotguns under #### FPS" rule, no rifles (unless they were .22, or other small rimfire/pistol calibers). Strangely though, I would always see rifle shell casings on the ground every now and then. Maybe they just have one or two reinforced lanes, which only the employees use. I think they had an armorer/smith on site who would build rifles from kits, so I'd imagine he would shoot some rounds downrange to test them out.