Sagia Conversions in NJ

I don't believe any of the gunsmiths in NJ perform Saiga conversions. I'm not sure where in the state you are, but I know Armament in Hillside charges exorbitant amounts to work on a gun (close to $200-300 just to thread the barrel and solder a brake on there) and Bullet Holein belleville doesn't want to touch them (they're assholes anyway, don't give them your money for anything). What part of the state you in?

Converting is really not that hard though. Only requires some basic tools like a dremel, power drill, chisel, hammer, and vise. When it comes down to it, only two pins and 3 rivets stand between you and one hell of a nice AK. There are many videos around, search Saiga Conversion on vimeo.com. I am not a licensed gunsmith or FFL, but I'm a nice guy with an OK shop and though I could not work on your gun for you, I could help you with tools or advice and such.

Since we have some additional laws to comply to in addition to Federal ones like 922r, it's best to plan out what your desired build is first. Mainly when it comes to not failing the 2-feature test while adding a permanently attached muzzle brake. I'm sure you're aware of the other basics of the law as well so I'll skip that stuff.

this one's a jersey girl:

post-21696-12692217162656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

Where are you located. North (ie Union) or South (ie Burlington)

I head into NJ (South) alot and have done 2 pretty well IMHO. I can help you out..

Most recent conversion was 5.45 and posts are under that section.

PM for more info..

Best is I sat next to Fred List in 7th Grade and the next thing I knew he was not in school. Two months later they find the whole family wacked. Gets better, I worked in Rahway State Prison doing an intership in College and became very good friends with the then Sr Classifications officer who later became the Warden of Trenton State Prison, got to see John List down that part of the State after he was convicted and brought back, was housed right by the Ice Man in Ad Seg. Too Funny!! And I am not meesin' with you!!

Best is I sat next to Fred List in 7th Grade and the next thing I knew he was not in school. Two months later they find the whole family wacked. Gets better, I worked in Rahway State Prison doing an intership in College and became very good friends with the then Sr Classifications officer who later became the Warden of Trenton State Prison, got to see John List down that part of the State after he was convicted and brought back, was housed right by the Ice Man in Ad Seg. Too Funny!! And I am not meesin' with you!!

Holy shit! That's crazy man. And the Ice Man too? That guy was fuckin crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys. sorry to revive old topic...ima in bergen county up north. so i will b buying saiga 7.62 within next 2 weeks or so and i was wondering... wat exactly can i do to it. i mean the conversation that " Klassy Kalashnikov" did is sick. but can u take it to the shooting range? if i get pulled over wat LEO z gonna tell me: have a nice day? or u re going to county? its just the freaking stupid nj laws are so confusing. for example i was looking to buy zastava, but everybody up here said its illegal and i cant take it to the shooting range (i go to the cherry ridge range). AND THEN i call Brick Armory in Lakewood, NJ and they tell me that they have them and they are legal. and wats the deal with the thumb whole stocks? Klassy i want my rifle to look pretty much the way urs look but i cant afford to get in trouble. can u guys help me out here?

hey guys. sorry to revive old topic...ima in bergen county up north. so i will b buying saiga 7.62 within next 2 weeks or so and i was wondering... wat exactly can i do to it. i mean the conversation that " Klassy Kalashnikov" did is sick. but can u take it to the shooting range? if i get pulled over wat LEO z gonna tell me: have a nice day? or u re going to county? its just the freaking stupid nj laws are so confusing. for example i was looking to buy zastava, but everybody up here said its illegal and i cant take it to the shooting range (i go to the cherry ridge range). AND THEN i call Brick Armory in Lakewood, NJ and they tell me that they have them and they are legal. and wats the deal with the thumb whole stocks? Klassy i want my rifle to look pretty much the way urs look but i cant afford to get in trouble. can u guys help me out here?

Um I dont know about NJ laws as im in AZ (fuck yea) but you can probably find anything you need to know about NJ gun laws via google...im not trying to sound like a smart ass.

Yes, my rifle is legal in New Jersey. If I had pictures of an illegal firearm you think I'd be posting them in public dude?

Zastavas are legal in NJ provided they have the right configuration. NJ does a two feature test. Make sure it doesn't have a bayonet lug or a threaded muzzle. (do they even make ones that have those fatures anyway?) If you have more than any two of the following: folding/telescoping stock, grenade launcher, bayonet lug, pistol grip, threaded barrel, ability to accept a detachable magazine, your gun is illegal. Furthermore don't ever buy/get anything that says Colt AR-15 or AK-47/Avtomat Kalashnikov anywhere on it. Also, don't get any magazine that can hold more than 15 rounds. A 16 round magazine carries a harsher sentence than aggravated sexual assault in NJ.

My rifle is legal because it has a pistol grip and detachable magazines. The muzzle brake is permanently brazed on with silver solder, I only use 10 round magazines for it (could use 15's but I don't have any) and is therefore legal. Welding or roll pinning the muzzle brake works as well.

Treat a thumb hole as a pistol grip when you factor in features, because the NJSP have never clarified this. Also, if you get 10rd or 15rd magazines made from originals by people in PA, please get the kind that have been cut down to a smaller size, and not ones with a steel bar welded inside them and such. The welded blocked up ones are legal (riveted ones are not, according to NJSP), but having a rifle with a banana mag sticking out of it east of the Delaware River is just asking for trouble. Besides, it's stupid, no point in such a big magazine if it only holds a few rounds anyway.

As far as cops, it's always trouble. You will find some who are cool, others who think you shouldn't have a BB gun, best to do is always travel in accordance with state laws and your guns and ammo locked separately in the vehicle. The NJ transportation laws are poorly written and the "reasonable deviation" clause is very loosely defined. So follow what little is written to the T's. Go right to the range and back when transporting ANY gun in NJ.

Lastly, few people in NJ know the laws. Don't listen to idiots who can't comprehend the 2-feature test, or understand that these laws only apply to semi-autos, etc.

Um I dont know about NJ laws as im in AZ (fuck yea) but you can probably find anything you need to know about NJ gun laws via google...im not trying to sound like a smart ass.

Sorry, but it's not that easy in NJ. Thanks for offering to help anyway.

sweeeet... thank you so much!!!!!! its so much easier when somebody just puts it in the simple terms. and trust me i;ve been googling 8) for months and still have questions. BUT the best one is when u call ur local PD to speak to the detective who is in charge of issuing the firearms idz and permits. those RARE occasions when he did pick up my call, he DID NOT answer ANY of my questions ( NOT A SINGLE ONE 8)instead directing me to call state police.... and if any of u guys ever tried calling state police on this matter u know wat im talking about... i gave up after 2 attempts.

sweeeet... thank you so much!!!!!! its so much easier when somebody just puts it in the simple terms. and trust me i;ve been googling 8) for months and still have questions. BUT the best one is when u call ur local PD to speak to the detective who is in charge of issuing the firearms idz and permits. those RARE occasions when he did pick up my call, he DID NOT answer ANY of my questions ( NOT A SINGLE ONE 8)instead directing me to call state police.... and if any of u guys ever tried calling state police on this matter u know wat im talking about... i gave up after 2 attempts.

Pretty much. Also keep in mind, while NJ has the state police in charge of handling firearms questions, they are a law enforcement body that can not, and do not, provide legal advice. (isn't NJ great?) To most questions all they do is direct someone to the poorly worded laws, or the attorney general's 14 year old memo that he wrote to law enforcement. That is, if they do anything besides jerk you around on the phone :lolol: Another fun fact to keep in mind is that police officers can lie to obtain evidence or confessions and the courts have upheld the use of that tactic.

I like the Saigas better since more common, probably cheaper too (x39's are $299 now what's a Zastava go for?) Though from what I hear the Zastavas are good rifles too if you don't feel like doing the conversion. But doing the conversion and picking stocks and all that is a lot of fun, I wouldn't pass it up.

Also, it wasn't a certain gun shop in Essex county that told you Zastavas are illegal, was it?

Pretty much. Also keep in mind, while NJ has the state police in charge of handling firearms questions, they are a law enforcement body that can not, and do not, provide legal advice. (isn't NJ great?) To most questions all they do is direct someone to the poorly worded laws, or the attorney general's 14 year old memo that he wrote to law enforcement. That is, if they do anything besides jerk you around on the phone :lolol: Another fun fact to keep in mind is that police officers can lie to obtain evidence or confessions and the courts have upheld the use of that tactic.

I like the Saigas better since more common, probably cheaper too (x39's are $299 now what's a Zastava go for?) Though from what I hear the Zastavas are good rifles too if you don't feel like doing the conversion. But doing the conversion and picking stocks and all that is a lot of fun, I wouldn't pass it up.

Also, it wasn't a certain gun shop in Essex county that told you Zastavas are illegal, was it?

Hi Klassy,

Sorry to hijack the thread. What if I do the conversion to the magwell so that it can take regular double stack mag to my saiga. Is that +1 of the evil feature?

Hi Klassy,

Sorry to hijack the thread. What if I do the conversion to the magwell so that it can take regular double stack mag to my saiga. Is that +1 of the evil feature?

Not answering for Klassy but just want to inform you that in NJ, the fact that it is mag fed is already +1 on the evil features list. The type of mag doesn't matter as long as you don't exceed 15 rounds.

Also, in regards to the OP, you have to have seriously screwed the pooch to have the PD search your vehicle while on the way to the range (or back). Even if they see your rifle cases in the back, it's a simple matter for them to pull up your firearms ID info while checking your license and registration. Hint: If they see rifle cases and you don't have a firearms ID, that's "screwed the pooch" territory.

One more thing to note, you'll see many M4 type collapsible stocks on AR's and Saiga conversions in NJ. Those stocks have been pinned to prevent them from collapsing or expanding any further. In effect, they are fixed length stocks that only look collapsible.

Hi Klassy,

Not answering for Klassy but just want to inform you that in NJ, the fact that it is mag fed is already +1 on the evil features list. The type of mag doesn't matter as long as you don't exceed 15 rounds.

Also, in regards to the OP, you have to have seriously screwed the pooch to have the PD search your vehicle while on the way to the range (or back). Even if they see your rifle cases in the back, it's a simple matter for them to pull up your firearms ID info while checking your license and registration. Hint: If they see rifle cases and you don't have a firearms ID, that's "screwed the pooch" territory.

One more thing to note, you'll see many M4 type collapsible stocks on AR's and Saiga conversions in NJ. Those stocks have been pinned to prevent them from collapsing or expanding any further. In effect, they are fixed length stocks that only look collapsible.

Hi Gunny,

Thank you for the info.

You're welcome tony.

Seriously the only saiga I would balk at converting is the S-12 because in NJ the shotgun falls into it's own category of evil features. I left mine as-is and I won't even put the "thumbhole" stock that was previously on my .308. I don't want to be the test case that defines once and for all exactly what a thumbhole is in the Garbage...errr I mean Garden State. I know there's at least one other NJ resident in this forum that's done the S-12 conversion and I'll readily admit he's got bigger gonads than me for taking it out to a public range.

The caveat of course is that in a TEOTWAWKI/Zombie Infestation scenario all bets are off.

Klassy >>> nope couple of shops in Bergen county unfort 8( and u are rite about doing conversion on ur own. always get more satisfaction that way 8) plus the closest zastava i can find is in lakewood which is 1.5 hours away from me. although saigaz up here are in $500 and up range

Yeah. No clue why NJ dealers still think factory config Saigas are worth $500+ The Bullet Hole in Belleville still had them at $549 last I checked....

Grab your FID card and driver's license. Print out a copy of an NJ Certificate of Eligibility off of njsp.org. Most of the dealers out there are eager to sell to NJ residents and they have all the Nj forms there already. At the gun shows, pretty much every FFL there has the NJ forms. Hop onto Rt 78 or 80. Head an hour/hour and a half west to PA. It is legal to purchase a long gun in a different state as long as the laws of both states are abided by. Dunkelberger's in East Stroudsburg had Saiga rifles for $319 last time I checked, a couple months ago. The gun show in King of Prussia, PA had multiple FFL dealers with Saiga .223/7.62x39 as low as $299, and will be in town again mid-June.

The relatively short drive and gas money is well worth saving $200-$250 IMO

Klassy is there any way u can post couple more pix of ur rifle pls?

and if anybody else who lives in NJ and did any conversions also pls.

and im def gonna look in goin to PA, cause Dunkelberger's is 1.5hrs from me. so if i can save couple of bucks and go the same distance i will go there instead of brick armory in lakewood, nj.

Klassy is there any way u can post couple more pix of ur rifle pls?

and if anybody else who lives in NJ and did any conversions also pls.

and im def gonna look in goin to PA, cause Dunkelberger's is 1.5hrs from me. so if i can save couple of bucks and go the same distance i will go there instead of brick armory in lakewood, nj.

Here's some of the 7.62x39

post-21696-12705756596919_thumb.jpg

post-21696-12705756709232_thumb.jpg

post-21696-12705756820551_thumb.jpg

Mine are in my avatar <<<<<<<<<,

The only thing is the one (AK74) has an over 15 mag showing.. I bring my 2 factory 10 round mags with me to NJ no biggie when I shoot.

I saw a guy with a WASR 10 with what appeared to be a flashider on the end and T-6 type stock (which his son adjusted to shoot) here in NJ last weekend. 009.gif Getting stopped in NJ with riflecases in VIEW is the start of the headaches usually. It was jammin like a BIATCH.. He was being snippy/short so I didn't offer to help him..

Here is a pic of my 308. I added an RPK windage adjustable rear sight and I kept the front sling stud off as I haven't decided what to do regarding sling options. The closeup of the sight shows how much adjustment I had to make to compensate for a slightly canted front sight.

post-5447-12706162819932_thumb.jpg

post-5447-1270616295567_thumb.jpg