New Saiga-20

post-23983-12697331842564_thumb.jpg

post-23983-1269733195585_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I picked this used EEA 22" S-20 up today w/two (76mm & 70mm) mags and would like to know a few things.

*How can you tell how it's choked? I see a F (0.9)on the receiver, is it full choked?

*I see the year 2000 on it. Is that when it was made?

*I'm not intrested in converting it but would like to shoot it now and again in it's orgional form. In both 2 3/4" and 3" what are the best shells (shot and charge weight) to use for dependable cycleing. I'm not so much worried about cost and would like to use a quality high brass #5 or #6 shot shell with enough power to cycle the action without it short-stroking.

*With high brass shells what should (1 or 2) the gas system be set at?

*What did the orgional sling look like? The swivels are so small all I had to fit it was a Chi-Com SKS or the Russian sub-gun sling I ended up useing.LOL

Thanks

neat gun,

I like 20 ga. shotguns have 4 of them 2 of the Saigas and old SKB and Remington semi autos

what you have there should be the full choke

don't know about the year question

as far as shells go depends on the gun some like one thing some others but that usually is just in the lighter bird shot loads

the type ammo your talking about should run great.

as to the gas setting usually you'd want to see if it runs it on 1 if not then go to 2

most high brass stuff will run on 1.

on the sling got no help for you none of mine came with a sling.

Good luck and enjoy the gun.

neat gun,

I like 20 ga. shotguns have 4 of them 2 of the Saigas and old SKB and Remington semi autos

what you have there should be the full choke

don't know about the year question

as far as shells go depends on the gun some like one thing some others but that usually is just in the lighter bird shot loads

the type ammo your talking about should run great.

as to the gas setting usually you'd want to see if it runs it on 1 if not then go to 2

most high brass stuff will run on 1.

on the sling got no help for you none of mine came with a sling.

Good luck and enjoy the gun.

like he said (only with fewer guns)

got nothing to add except best wishes and enjoy the new toy

I took the Saiga-20 down to my range and ran a box of 2 3/4" Rem. Express Long Range #5 shot shells through it this morning. The weapon performed flawlessly. I had done a "Fluff-N-Buff" on the internals/rails last night just like I did on my old Romy SAR-1 & 2s. It's very smooth now compaired to when I started on it. I also made a "tool" for changeing the gas setting out of a large steel washer. Works great!

I set the gas system to one and I fired the first five round mag slowly and after all seemed well I fired the next two as fast as I could pull the trigger. No issues at all. The next mag I shot at empty hulls I had stuck on sticks at 25 yards and "downed" each one with multiple hits on each. The last five I patterned at the same distance on old playing cards and all I have to say is the squirrels are going to be hurting next season! I can't wait to show up at the crossroad where we meet/park to go squirrel hunting and roll out the Saiga. I'll bet it will be a object of ridicule. LOL

All and all I am very pleased with it but the short sight radius from the rear of the receiver to the bead pretty much limits it to squirrel hunting and such. A "fun gun" for sure. I'll buy a box of the cheap stuff in the near future to see how it does. I do wish it had a bolt stop. It's full choked so I don't think buckshot would do well in it, and you could forget slugs I guess. Comments in that regard would be appreciated.

I can see why folks spend big bucks converting these weapons as they are a literal blast to shoot with little felt recoil. Good thing I did not bring the second box of shells ($11.50 a box at Walley World) or they would be gone too. $180.00 well spent!

BTW....I changed out the sling to a SKS sling with the leather tabs and it works much better.

Edited by 1srelluc