Bolt Damaged Brass

So I've had my Saiga 308 for about 5 weeks now and put about 50 round through it before noticing on my 3rd outing that the fired round didn't eject, and couldn't be ejected manually... until I first removed the magazine. Only then would the expired round case manually eject from the chamber. After securing the weapon, I checked the magazine and remaining rounds and noticed that the next round in the magazine had a large triangular gouge from the shoulder to about 1/3 down the case. I inspected the chamber and action, but found nothing out of the norm, so I removed teh damaged round, and replaced the magazine... but the weapod wouldn't chamber a round. I could not pull the charging handle back far enough to catch the next cartridge, so I again saftied the weapon and removed the magazine, only to see that the next round case had been damaged in the same fashion as the previous, only not as severe, presumably due to manually cycling the action.

Has anyone even heard of such an event... at only 5 weeks since purchased new in 2/2010 and barely 50 rounds fired, it seems a bit strange

So I've had my Saiga 308 for about 5 weeks now and put about 50 round through it before noticing on my 3rd outing that the fired round didn't eject, and couldn't be ejected manually... until I first removed the magazine. Only then would the expired round case manually eject from the chamber. After securing the weapon, I checked the magazine and remaining rounds and noticed that the next round in the magazine had a large triangular gouge from the shoulder to about 1/3 down the case. I inspected the chamber and action, but found nothing out of the norm, so I removed teh damaged round, and replaced the magazine... but the weapod wouldn't chamber a round. I could not pull the charging handle back far enough to catch the next cartridge, so I again saftied the weapon and removed the magazine, only to see that the next round case had been damaged in the same fashion as the previous, only not as severe, presumably due to manually cycling the action.

Has anyone even heard of such an event... at only 5 weeks since purchased new in 2/2010 and barely 50 rounds fired, it seems a bit strange

Yes I have. It's pretty common on the .308. Looking from the top of the weapon, it will damage the round on your left. It will not allow you to pull the closed bolt back either. If you take the round on the left out and leave the one on the right, it will work. The reason being, some of the bolts 3rd lug had a machining step skipped. You will have to round that lug off. There is a post on here somewhere about it. You will have to search or maybe someone can post it on here for you. I don't have much success with the search engine. If you mark the bolt and ammo with a marker and work the action, you can figure out what needs to be done. I did mine before I saw the topic posted here. I just worked at it and figured it out. The AK's rock, you can file on them and they still go boom. Mine was actually so bad, I would have to hold the bolt open, insert the mag, then chamber and go boom.

My rifle would actually tear a complete hole in some of the rounds. They looked like, you guessed it, little triangles. Dremel for a couple of minutes and good to go.

Yes I have. It's pretty common on the .308. Looking from the top of the weapon, it will damage the round on your left. It will not allow you to pull the closed bolt back either. If you take the round on the left out and leave the one on the right, it will work. The reason being, some of the bolts 3rd lug had a machining step skipped. You will have to round that lug off. There is a post on here somewhere about it. You will have to search or maybe someone can post it on here for you. I don't have much success with the search engine. If you mark the bolt and ammo with a marker and work the action, you can figure out what needs to be done. I did mine before I saw the topic posted here. I just worked at it and figured it out. The AK's rock, you can file on them and they still go boom. Mine was actually so bad, I would have to hold the bolt open, insert the mag, then chamber and go boom.

My rifle would actually tear a complete hole in some of the rounds. They looked like, you guessed it, little triangles. Dremel for a couple of minutes and good to go.

Perfect!!! That's exactly what I was thinking after mocking up a few dummy rounds and watching the action with the cover off. I really didn't want to take it to a smith.

Do you have to mill the lug all the way down or just put a really good angle on it so it slips over the follwing round more easily?

You want to take as little material as possible. There are some pics around here somewhere. You will have to look around or ask. Try to google it as well. I tried to find them for you, but the search engine sucks balls.

You want to take as little material as possible. There are some pics around here somewhere. You will have to look around or ask. Try to google it as well. I tried to find them for you, but the search engine sucks balls.

you're the man Stan... Thanks a million... A little dremmel, several dry fits for clearance, and This should get me back out to the range in no time. I'll try to document and photograph my efforts for future users

by any chance would you happen to know of a long-reach FCG for the original 308 trigger location? I really don't want to move my trigger to accommodate the G2 by Tapco

thanks again for the bolt tip

you're the man Stan... Thanks a million... A little dremmel, several dry fits for clearance, and This should get me back out to the range in no time. I'll try to document and photograph my efforts for future users

by any chance would you happen to know of a long-reach FCG for the original 308 trigger location? I really don't want to move my trigger to accommodate the G2 by Tapco

thanks again for the bolt tip

Check out Dinzag and do the conversion. You WILL NOT be sorry.

OK, so I was lurking through the site and came across this thread. I am having the same problem with my brass being damaged, I reload so it makes since for me to figure out the resolution, I too am having an issue with the search feature so from what was said I came up with this please see pics and tell me if this is what you are talking about....

Before mod

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/Gunlover_2008/Rifles%201/Saiga/Bolt/?action=view&current=saigabolt1.jpg

After mod

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/Gunlover_2008/Rifles%201/Saiga/Bolt/?action=view&current=saigabolt2.jpg

The image is photoshoped and has not been done yet... Thanks

• 5 months later...

Safety disclaimer for above posts.

Also, if you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with it. You can wind up taking a bolt and carrier to the brain. I.E. die.......

I would do some extensive searching on what needs to be done before messing with it. It is a delicate operation and not much grinding/polishing/machining is required at all.

+1000 on easy does it.

Also if you have metal mags a bit of polishing on the top of that mag will make things easier. I just used the wire polish tool in my dremel kit to do the chore and one mag went from useless to perfect with a few minutes of work. I hit every surface coming in contact with round or bolt just using "feel" to check smoothness.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually sent the bolt off to RAA, as it was covered under warranty. Would have done it myself, but I had heard of others doing it and receiving goodies, like an extra factory mag, and a coozie...alas, I just got my bolt back with a little rounding done to it. Wasn't worth the hassle of shipping it, but I guess it got done one way or the other. At least they hold good on the warranty.