Adding Limbsaver to CAA Stock

I have gleaned alot from this board - so I finally have something which I can "give back".

I did my own conversion after reading countless threads on here, and started out with a regular AK stock on my Saiga 12.

IMG_1248.jpg

However - I wasn't satisfied with this - I like adjustable length of pull stocks so I bought a used CAA stock and then my Saiga looked like this:

IMG_1791.jpg

I liked the CAA stock - but I felt it wasn't "right" yet - the rubber butt was about as hard as the rest of the stock. I looked for a ready made solution for a recoil pad (sissy pad) - but found none - so I decided it was time to WECSOG a solution.

First off - here is a close up of the project just before I started. Note the "M1913" rail section on the side of the stock, and I had already pulled the rubber off the top part of the stock too:

limbsaverinstall.jpg

I couldn't pull the rubber all the way off - it is really glued on the plastic - so I cut it off with a wood saw and filed/sanded it flush. I also filed/ground off the M1913 rail thing on the side. I knew I would NEVER need that M1913 section - all it would do would be snag on stuff. Care must be taked while doing this or one will grind right into the secret compartment that can house batteries.

limbsaverinstall1.jpg

From Brownells ( www.brownells.com) I purchased a Limbsaver Med Grind To Fit Recoil Pad (sissy pad).

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=42179/pid=18220/sku/Limbsaver_Grind_Medium

I traced the area of the sissy pad that was too large - and using a file and sand paper - I got the sissy pad the right size. Note that since my Saiga is NOT a "Purdy" or "Holland and Holland" that my fit job will not win any praise from the masters - but it will work fine on ANY Kalashnikov. I used a Dremel with a burr bit and gouged little "golf ball" divots in the stock face and the sissy pad face to help the epoxy to weld the two pieces together. I cleaned off both surfaces with non-chloronated brake cleaner.

I used "Loctite Marine Epoxy" ( http://www.lowes.com/pd_40308-133-01-35210_4294858217_4294937087?productId=3033121 ) and mixed it according to instructions. I applied epoxy to both surfaces and mated them together and allowed them to dry.

limbsaverinstall2.jpg

After everything was cured - I touched it up with some Krylon Flat Black paint.

limbsaverinstall3.jpg

You can still see a little "divot" where the old 'quick release sling mount' used to be. I couldn't get rid of it without grinding away too much stock face. Oh - the 'quick release sling mount' is aluminum and poses zero problem when sawing through it. The little bit of it that is left is easily removed/pried out.

The final result is my soft shooting Saiga feels more like a 20 gauge now - and I can shoot a lot more ammo without discomfort.

Hope this helps,

cheers

tire iron