Saiga 20 Conversion

I'm thinking about making the leap into the 20 gauge range and I'm wondering what the conversion is like compared to the 12.

Are the FCG parts the same? Any gauge specific quirks that need to be addressed? Cobra: do you still make the 2 3/4" follwer/ramp thingys for the 3" mags?

I'm sure I've missed a bunch becuase I don't know what exactly to ask so if you think there's anything in particular I need to know feel free to add it.

Thanks

Eric

Edited by towerofpower93

Pretty much the same but the mag release is different so a S-12 trigger guard won't work. Also, I'm not sure about the newer imported S-20s but I had to cut a square hole for the PG to fit into my old import. The newer versions may have this done already...I dunno. Oh, and the BHO is shorter so you don't have to modify it to get the saftey in last.

Pretty much the same but the mag release is different so a S-12 trigger guard won't work. Also, I'm not sure about the newer imported S-20s but I had to cut a square hole for the PG to fit into my old import. The newer versions may have this done already...I dunno. Oh, and the BHO is shorter so you don't have to modify it to get the saftey in last.

What pg and trigger guard do most people use if you can't use the diy ones?

What pg and trigger guard do most people use if you can't use the diy ones?

Every Saiga comes with a trigger guard.

3 years ago, almost everybody reused them (we didn't have all those fancy aftermarket ones then).

Lots of us still reuse them.

There are so many pistol grips available today, the choice is up to you.

don't have an s-12, but my s-20 conversion went pretty smoothly. the hardest part is drilling out the original rivets.

i reused my trigger guard. as far as the ramp, my factory 2.75" and 3" have been flawless with 2.75" buckshot and slugs. i still have problems with cheap 2.75" birdshot...mostly out of the 3" magazine.

the s-20 is a good choice. recoil is light and very manageable with 2.75" #3 buck. i just wish somebody would come out with some good us-made 20g mags

To reuse the factory TG you need to cut, bend, and drill it. I went the ez route and bought a premade one from CSS. I used this one but it does leave a small gap b/n the TG and the mag release mech....

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-365/Saiga-Trigger-Guard-DIY/Detail

Or, just cut, bend, and drill your factory TG to look like the one pictured.

As far as PG goes, like Nalioth said, there are a ton of options out there. I have fairly small hands so the regular ol' AK grip works fine for me. I also like the feel of the rubberized Hogue grips too.

To reuse the factory TG you need to cut, bend, and drill it.

<snip>

I honestly don't understand why we are so destructive. .

Once the original trigger guard is off, it's got all the holes necessary to remount it in it's new location (no drilling necessary).

<snip>

Once the original trigger guard is off, it's got all the holes necessary to remount it in it's new location (no drilling necessary).

You'd still need to cut some of the parts off, bend the tab, and redrill the hole that they used to weld it onto the part you're throwing away.

<snip>

You'd still need to cut some of the parts off, bend the tab, and redrill the hole that they used to weld it onto the part you're throwing away.

I guess.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

I prefer non-destructive methods when available (they're usually easier, and easy is good for lazy folks).

Nalioth,

Please enlighten us with your methods. I'm always into an easier way.

What looked easiest to me was to drill out the weld from the front screw that is welded to the piece that covers the trigger hole. Then, once that is drilled bend it 180 degrees. Then simply cut off the rear hole that had been used to screw into the factory stock. Paint it and mount it. Whats your method?

Nalioth,

Please enlighten us with your methods. I'm always into an easier way.

What looked easiest to me was to drill out the weld from the front screw that is welded to the piece that covers the trigger hole. Then, once that is drilled bend it 180 degrees. Then simply cut off the rear hole that had been used to screw into the factory stock. Paint it and mount it. Whats your method?

I cut off the rear portion (with the hole for the plastic Klinton stock).

I then stick the weld end under the mag catch and screw the other end down under the pistol grip.

Pretty standard stuff.

Another question for you guys:

I know the e-store sells a Front sight which works with the rear pistol sight, but is there a "Krebs style" rear/peep sight which can go into the rear sight slot and work with the front sight sold by the e-store?

Basically, I want a Krebs sight but they don't make them for the 20, so I'm going to have to piece things together.

Thanks

Eric

• 4 weeks later...