East german PLASTIC core ammo

I'm told this stuff is rare and worth some money to collectors. I've got an ammo can full of it that kinda fell into my lap. It took forever to figure out what it was. It has the 05 headstamp and 79 manufacture date and i had to saw a bullet in half just to verify it has a plastic core. Anyone ever try this stuff? I hear its really good defensive ammo and doesn't over penetrate. Im not sure i want to shoot it though as it may be corrosive given the manufacturer location and date and the inherent value of the bullet itself. Any thoughts?

I'm told this stuff is rare and worth some money to collectors. I've got an ammo can full of it that kinda fell into my lap. It took forever to figure out what it was. It has the 05 headstamp and 79 manufacture date and i had to saw a bullet in half just to verify it has a plastic core. Anyone ever try this stuff? I hear its really good defensive ammo and doesn't over penetrate. Im not sure i want to shoot it though as it may be corrosive given the manufacturer location and date and the inherent value of the bullet itself. Any thoughts?

i had some german ammo that was all grey and had a wiered shape bullet and it felt like it weighed half of what a regular round did and my ak wouldnt cyclee em. it came in packs of 10. is this the same thing or is this something different. sorry to butt in on your thread.

might be. The bullet is shaped kinda odd, and it's black in color. I've heard that it wont cycle at all in sks's however cycle's very well in ak's but with very little recoil. And yes, the bullet is super light. To be honest it is just weird all around.

This is KINDA off topic... but not too far off...

I bought a thousand rounds of the German, blue plastic, .308 rounds... wont cycle a semi auto... but does ok in a bolt gun... supposedly clocks out there at 4000+ FPS... havent chronied any yet... but they DO zip right along... at about 30 yards will almost penetrate completely through a 2X4 ( in the 2" direction ) .

not reloadable in any way... and believe me, I was thinking about it... LOL

Supposedly accurate out to 300 yards... dunno if I will swallow that one... but great for close range plinking with the 308 and no worries about killing someone 10 miles away with a ricochet... LOL

:smoke:

Here are some pictures if anyone cares.

post-18659-12710404939785_thumb.jpeg

The other round is a 7.62x39 wolf something or other used for comparison.

post-18659-12710404099308_thumb.jpeg

You'll notice the bullet is black the case is steel and the primer is black. The thing is shaped like a tampon or lipstick=. With the bullet cut in half you can kind of see the thin wall and the plastic .

post-18659-12710404512071_thumb.jpeg

post-18659-12710404712489_thumb.jpeg

I only have a camera phone so my closeups suck.

I bought about 1500 rounds of .223 a couple years ago, the boxes have Arabic writing and the bullets only weigh out at 19gr. They crono at over 4000fps, like what Indy was talking about. From what I have been told, they are frangible rounds used for training, but will also blister a dogs ass at 100 yards and when plinking rabbits, the bullets seem to explode like a varmint grenade. All that we have ever found inside the rabbits where tiny little black specs of the bullet and did not have an exit wound. Oh yeh, they are brass cased and boxer primed if I remember right.