Draco carrier same as AMD-65?

Here's a comparison pic. The AMD is on top, Draco on bottom:

comparison.jpg

By the way, the Draco carrier has a rubber plug I drilled out and slipped over the charging handle. That's why it looks funny. A 50 cent upgrade though. :D

Think an AMD carrier and bolt would work in a Draco? Granted, the camera angle from my pic doesn't match up perfectly with the AMD pic I pasted onto it. I didn't have the Draco's bolt all the way forward either, so that looks odd.

Thanks

Corbin

*EDIT* I just thought of something..... an AMD-65 carrier might be full auto. If so, could it be easily modded to be legal (semi)?

Edited by Corbin

Think an AMD carrier and bolt would work in a Draco?

If you change the gas piston, any AKM bolt carrier should work in a Draco.

*EDIT* I just thought of something..... an AMD-65 carrier might be full auto. If so, could it be easily modded to be legal (semi)?

Pssst. .

Don't look now, but hundreds of thousands of AKs out there have their uncut original bolt carrier. It's quite legal that way, so why worry about it?

I think as long as you don't have the third hole drilled, the auto-sear slot milled out of the rail, or FA FCG installed, you're probably legit. Lots of manufacturers ship out "full auto" bolt carriers without the little tang that strikes the auto-sear on a real AK ground off. It seems that most AKM bolt carriers are interchangeable, with the notable exception of the Saiga rifles. As Nalioth pointed out, the gas piston might need to be replaced to work in a Draco. Looks like the AMD piston is just a trifle too long to let the weapon go into battery.

Thanks guys.

If there's a suitable piston to replace the AMD's with, that's cool. Otherwise, I wonder if it could be cut back on the head (assuming it's only 1/8" or so).

Edited by Corbin

Why do you want to replace the Draco piston?

I don't. I just want a spare carrier, piston and bolt for my Draco and was wondering if the AMD's would work. If the piston isn't the right length, it'll have to be modded or replaced, assuming I could find a suitable one.

There's also the issue of headspacing to worry about. Case separation = bad.

Why do you want to replace the Draco piston?

I don't. I just want a spare carrier, piston and bolt for my Draco and was wondering if the AMD's would work. If the piston isn't the right length, it'll have to be modded or replaced, assuming I could find a suitable one.

There's also the issue of headspacing to worry about. Case separation = bad.

Roger that.