Range Report

UPDATE & ANOTHER TRIP TO THE RANGE (good news and bad)

Well, in order to celebrate tax day :rolleyes: , I took off from work, and after some more polishing of the bolt and hammer, headed off for the indoor range this time. (slugs and buckshot allowed only)

She ran beautifully on setting 1 with the following rounds:

1. Winchester 2 3/4 1 oz Rifled Hollow Point Slugs - 1600 fps
  2. Remington 2 3/4 #1 Buckshot - 1250fps
  3. Winchester 2 3/4 00 Buckshot - 1200fps?

I was having a ball until suddenly I had a stovepipe. I removed the cartridge but found that the carrier was stuck in the open position. After some fiddling to no avail, I noticed that the bolt hold-open button was no where in sight, having apparently been sucked up into the receiver. Lighting was poor and there wasn't much I could do, so my range time was cut short.

At home I managed to free it up. I'm not sure if it happened on its own or if I pressed the button while firing, but I see now that if I don't press straight upwards but happen to pull the button outward slightly, the BHO rocks away from the frame and can slide up past the rail instead of being stopped by it. I bent the leg of the hammer spring to try to keep some pressure against the side of the BHO. It seems a little better, but only time will tell. The slot where the button comes through could stand to be a little narrower so the fit is tighter and wouldn't let the BHO pivot as much, but I can't figure a way to reduce it.

Any certain fixes out there for this problem? (I know, wait for the mythical LRBHO right?)

Anyway, aside from that, she's a blast to shoot.

From what you are describing, the BHO will tilt enough to go past the carrier rail? It sounds like the hammer was ground to narrow if that is the case, it should not have that much play. If this is the case I would shim between the hammer and BHO.

Yes to the first part, no to the second. Nothing was ground. The conversion used a Tapco single hook G2 with stock BHO re-installed. However I will see if I can figure out a way to shim if possible. Thanks

UPDATE & ANOTHER TRIP TO THE RANGE (good news and bad)

Well, in order to celebrate tax day :rolleyes: , I took off from work, and after some more polishing of the bolt and hammer, headed off for the indoor range this time. (slugs and buckshot allowed only)

She ran beautifully on setting 1 with the following rounds:

1. Winchester 2 3/4 1 oz Rifled Hollow Point Slugs - 1600 fps
  2. Remington 2 3/4 #1 Buckshot - 1250fps
  3. Winchester 2 3/4 00 Buckshot - 1200fps?

I was having a ball until suddenly I had a stovepipe. I removed the cartridge but found that the carrier was stuck in the open position. After some fiddling to no avail, I noticed that the bolt hold-open button was no where in sight, having apparently been sucked up into the receiver. Lighting was poor and there wasn't much I could do, so my range time was cut short.

At home I managed to free it up. I'm not sure if it happened on its own or if I pressed the button while firing, but I see now that if I don't press straight upwards but happen to pull the button outward slightly, the BHO rocks away from the frame and can slide up past the rail instead of being stopped by it. I bent the leg of the hammer spring to try to keep some pressure against the side of the BHO. It seems a little better, but only time will tell. The slot where the button comes through could stand to be a little narrower so the fit is tighter and wouldn't let the BHO pivot as much, but I can't figure a way to reduce it.

Any certain fixes out there for this problem? (I know, wait for the mythical LRBHO right?)

Anyway, aside from that, she's a blast to shoot.

From what you are describing, the BHO will tilt enough to go past the carrier rail? It sounds like the hammer was ground to narrow if that is the case, it should not have that much play. If this is the case I would shim between the hammer and BHO.

Yes to the first part, no to the second. Nothing was ground. The conversion used a Tapco single hook G2 with stock BHO re-installed. However I will see if I can figure out a way to shim if possible. Thanks

Is this a Tromix trigger group? A standard G2 has to be ground to fit. Did the BHO spring slip off? That may allow the BHO to cause problems, I always grind a small groove on the BHO to help on the spring in place. The groove also helps when installing the BHO.

Is this a Tromix trigger group? A standard G2 has to be ground to fit. Did the BHO spring slip off? That may allow the BHO to cause problems, I always grind a small groove on the BHO to help on the spring in place. The groove also helps when installing the BHO.

This was a Tapco single hook G2. No grinding was necessary in order to fit, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Maybe they're coming pre-fit now?

There is a small amount of play left to right for the hammer, so I'm going to try a washer between the BHO and the hammer.

The spring did not slip off.

The BHO tilted inward and slid up past the rail far enough that the bottom of the button was inside the receiver.

Get a reduced power spring from Carolina shooters supply to run WHATEVER lightweight load you like including 1 oz winchester super speed(should be called super weak)also a xtra full turkey choke will significantly increase back pressure for enhanced cycling. When I run the "weakness" I use a .640 constriction and it always ejects and loads dandy.

This was a Tapco single hook G2. No grinding was necessary in order to fit, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Maybe they're coming pre-fit now?

There is a small amount of play left to right for the hammer, so I'm going to try a washer between the BHO and the hammer.

The spring did not slip off.

The BHO tilted inward and slid up past the rail far enough that the bottom of the button was inside the receiver.

Definitely try the washer, it should fix the hammer moving perfectly. The modified G2 has one of the hammer legs shortened for the BHO so the washer should undo it.

OK, now I feel really stupid.

I just checked my paperwork and found that what I really bought and installed was the Tromix modified Fire Control Group, not the Tapco.

Sorry for the misdirection. So my understanding is that no mod was necessary with this one and as it turns out, maybe they took a little too much off?

OK, now I feel really stupid.

I just checked my paperwork and found that what I really bought and installed was the Tromix modified Fire Control Group, not the Tapco.

Sorry for the misdirection. So my understanding is that no mod was necessary with this one and as it turns out, maybe they took a little too much off?

Now it all makes sense. Shim it up it should be fine, grinding a little notch for BHO spring will help in may ways so do that mod if you haven't already.