I been unable to find any search results with anyone else having quite the same problem I've encountered so here I go with my first post. I finally got around to taking my Saiga 5.45 conversion with a tapco double hook g2 out to the range yesterday and on my first shot I got a double. I pulled the mag, emptied the chamber and did some function tests to make sure the disconnecter was doing its job, which it was. Yet when I tried live fire again I got more than one round. It seems a short reset plus light pull equals unintentional or accidental bump fire, and this is supported by the fact that if I held the trigger hard I'd only get a single shot.

As fun as that might be, it's a little too close to a machine gun for my taste so I looked into it a little more closely once I got home and what I found has me baffled. While holding the trigger and cocking the hammer the disconnecter fully engages, and when released slowly the hammer transitions to the trigger hook properly. But if I release the trigger fast the hammer is only barely caught by the hook and since messing with the hammer spring legs sometimes isn't caught at all!

First image is the trigger held and hammer cocked showing full disconnecter engagement.

post-23322-12713995754133_thumb.jpg

Second image is as close to release as I could get the trigger while also taking a picture.

post-23322-12713995910333_thumb.jpg

Third image is the hammer caught fully by the trigger hooks after a slow trigger release.

post-23322-12713996051122_thumb.jpg

Fourth image is the hammer barely caught by the trigger hooks after a fast trigger release.

post-23322-12713996148954_thumb.jpg

Like I said I can't find any other reports of problems quite like this, so I'm hoping some of the experts here might be able to help me out and get the hammer captured like it should be in my third image regardless of how I release the trigger.

A while back tapco sent out a bunch of G2 FCG that had a bit of a problem.

The hole in the disconecter that hold the small spring was too deep, causing an unintended double tap.

I'm not sure this is your problem but it came to mind after reading your post.

Take out your FCG and take a pic with the spring all the way in the hole so we can all see how deep it sits.

Welcome the the forum, hope we can solve your problem.

if its not the above, and without looking closer, i would guess that your disconnect is releasing early, before the hooks have gone far enough to adequately catch the hammer. I would study it a bit, and if you think this is the case, and not a spring problem, file the front of the disconnect surface that rests against the trigger, forward of the pin, to increase the angle at which it releases. Careful, a little filing goes a long way.

I dont think that is an uncommon problem with the tapco fcgs, and i know ive mentioned it before. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=46442&view=findpost&p=427890

Edited by ReverendFranz

A while back tapco sent out a bunch of G2 FCG that had a bit of a problem.

The hole in the disconecter that hold the small spring was too deep, causing an unintended double tap.

That's the first thing that came to my mind too.

Check THIS THREAD & see if your looking right with the disconnecter spring hole depth.

That would be the first place to start.

Edited by Paulyski

Document your problem and contact Tapco. Swap that FCG out for another one and send that one into tapco for testing. I'm sure if there is a problem they will want to know before somebody gets into trouble for a MG charge do to a faulty FCG.

Document your problem and contact Tapco. Swap that FCG out for another one and send that one into tapco for testing. I'm sure if there is a problem they will want to know before somebody gets into trouble for a MG charge do to a faulty FCG.

The trigger is just too light. Since I've seen this with several G2s - not to mention numerous reports such as the one that started this thread - I doubt it is a defect specific to any of mine.

I took the whole thing apart this morning; the disconnecter spring hole depth matched the factory disconnecter's, and I trimmed and trimmed on the front foot of the disconnecter all with no success. At that point I disassembled one of my other rifles and tested this one out with a single hook assembly, which worked and ruled the rifle out as the problem. After inspecting the double hook assembly next to the single hook assembly I found one area that didn't match, there was a tiny tab protruding on the flat area between the hooks on the double which didn't exist on the single. I trimmed this back to match the single hook and that seemed to resolve the problem.

post-23322-12715406328711_thumb.jpg

It would seem that the tab was allowing the trigger to just barely reset.

Clearly shown in your pix are the parting flash on the hammer and disconnecter engagement surfaces.A light stoning of these areas will improve their function ( be sure to take as little off as possible and don't change the angle of engagement). This will also improve the trigger smoothness.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks from photo #5 like there is very little clearance around the side of the trigger hole tab where you cut the new slot. This may just be the camera angle, but if the sear arm is capable of rubbing there maybe you should fix that. I wonder about this because it looks (picture 1) like you might not be getting your fair share of over-travel. Normally a lack of over-travel would be a good thing except...

You definitely aren't getting your fair share of pre-travel with that shim on the trigger guard bolt. The G2 is fairly easy to bump-fire even unmodified due to the extremely short reset and by removing the slack you make it far more so. I mean, it is your rifle, but remember that the sear/hammer engagement areas are going to wear over time and when they begin to round out the rifle may begin burst firing auto-bumping again.

If nothing is restricting the trigger's over-travel (it is being stopped by the rounded nubs on the front of the sear arms contacting the receiver in front of the slots) then you will need to adjust your disconnector's engagement because the amount shown in picture #1 looks less than optimal. The attached picture should make it clear where you need to sand if need be.

post-11079-12735607744561_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The G2 double hook triggers either need to be ground down on the front, or your trigger hole needs to be slightly opened up on the front to allow it to clear. I took the dremel to the front of my G2 trigger so it would clear the receiver hole.