Range Trip to Okeechobee Shooting Sport

To tell you the truth, I wasn't very impressed. First of all the range is pretty small. Not only in the amout of lanes, but also in the room you have to move around other shooters. The covered range line is so narrow that it would offer almost no protection if it started to rain. The range line has no rear benchs to layout your gun bags, ammo, ect. You have to set it on the ground in that narrow walkway and hope noone trips over or steps on it. They also have a no rapid fire rule, do not allow steel ammo and only have one moveable target mount to shoot bird shot at (which eqauls only one person at a time can shoot bird shot).

I realize that the range is relatively new and still working out the kinks. So I'm not giving up on it yet.

They have a little food wagon that severs BBQ and cold drinks. You'll have to use port-o-lets if you've got to mske #1 or #2. They also have a Tactical Range, Skeet Shooting and Trap Shooting. I didn't try any of those so I cant tell you how they were.

Hope that helps.

Here's a few short videos of today's fun.

Wife getting her first turn with the S-12

No rapid fire sucks.

Edited by Bridis

No rapid fire? Sounds like a 'rainbow' range to me. I hate to hear that, but at least you can fire at targets. I go to a place that will let me raise absolute hell with my S12s, but I can't set up any kind of targets. I just go there for reliabilty testing so I guess it doesn't matter much. With these weapons, I would rather be able to rapid fire than shoot targets.... if I had to pick one. Looks like you guys had fun anyway. It's awesome that your wife goes with you too. When my wife started liking guns.... I knew she was a keeper.

Did you have different ammo in it when the wife was shooting? It looked like you pranked her by putting some slugs or buckshot in there, lol. The second time I took my wife to the range, she came over to my lane and picked up what she thought was my G19. It was a Delta Gold Cup with some heavies in it. She fired 5 shots and said "It seems like it kicks more than it did last time". I couldn't stop laughing....

No, same ammo. She 5'5", 105 lbs and she's not an avid shooter. So that gun is going to move her around a bit no matter what type of ammo she's shooting. She just wants too shoot everything I own at least once. I've gotta give her props for picking the thing up and pulling the trigger. biggrin.gif

No, same ammo. She 5'5", 105 lbs and she's not an avid shooter. So that gun is going to move her around a bit no matter what type of ammo she's shooting. She just wants too shoot everything I own at least once. I've gotta give her props for picking the thing up and pulling the trigger. biggrin.gif

At least she isn't scared of it. My wife hasn't shot the S12s yet....

Bridis, I picked up one of those Flyers Saturday at the Fairgrounds Gun Show. For some reason it seems like there were more vendors there this time. Did you have to wait around for a spot to shoot? I was planning on taking he family there for a days outing but now it seems like I might have to try and find somewhere else. Porto pottys, me no like that.

I emailed them to ask why AK-47's are not allowed on the rifle range, but only on the "tactical" range (more expensive) and why only brass ammo is allowed. The dipwad who responded never answered my questions but had a hissy fit about how if I didn't like their rules, I didn't have to go there. WTF? Two follow-up emails, have gone unanswered. Guess what, I'll never go there if that's how they treat potential customers.

Edited by one2za

Ha I was ten feet from you when you shot this video I was in the first pistol range area shooting a suppressed beretta 92. We went over to the trap area after we where done shooting pistol and ran the Saiga's over there lots of fun.

Bridis, I picked up one of those Flyers Saturday at the Fairgrounds Gun Show. For some reason it seems like there were more vendors there this time. Did you have to wait around for a spot to shoot? I was planning on taking he family there for a days outing but now it seems like I might have to try and find somewhere else. Porto pottys, me no like that.

There was no wait to shoot. The port-o-potties looked bigger than the average ones. But I can't speak for how clean they were becuase I myself try to stay out of those things. As far as a day trip for the whole family, I don't know. I guess it would depend on how much everyone is into shooting.

I emailed them to ask why AK-47's are not allowed on the rifle range, but only on the "tactical" range (more expensive) and why only brass ammo is allowed. The dipwad who responded never answered my questions but had a hissy fit about how if I didn't like their rules, I didn't have to go there. WTF? Guess what, I'll never go there if that's how they treat potential customers.

I have to say that every employee I talked to at this range were very friendly. Noone was barking out orders or giving anyone attitude. The range officer did notice I was shooting steel and told me I wasn't allowed to. I simply pointed out my shell catcher and not sure what to say, he studder and stammered a bit then said ok.

Edited by Bridis

Ha I was ten feet from you when you shot this video I was in the first pistol range area shooting a suppressed beretta 92. We went over to the trap area after we where done shooting pistol and ran the Saiga's over there lots of fun.

Really? I saw a woman shooting a silenced pistol. That was pretty cool, but I would've never guessed I was standing feet away from a fellow saiga forum member. You should have said something. I always go out of my way to say hello to fellow saiga owners. I'm sure you heard my AR pitstol, that bitch is loud.

How was the skeet shooting? Have you ever tried their tactical range? I'm curious if it's something I'd like to try.

Edited by Bridis

Really? I saw a woman shooting a silenced pistol. That was pretty cool, but I would've never guessed I was standing feet away from a fellow saiga forum member. You should have said something. I always go out of my way to say hello to fellow saiga owners. I'm sure you heard my AR pitstol, that bitch is loud.

How was the skeet shooting? Have you ever tried their tactical range? I'm curious if it's something I'd like to try.

I wanted to come over and introduce myself but I had to rush over to meet a few friends at the trap area. I am not sure what women was shoot my gun there was about ten different people shooting my gun at the range that day it was getting passed around like a cheap whore at a frat party every one loves to try it when I am at the range and I try not to be stingy with my toys.

The tactical range is alot of fun if there is not alot of people on the tactical range you can do some shooting on the move and rapid fire drills.

I love shooting five stand, trap and somtimes skeet I just tip the pullers well and as long as I am safe they let me do what I want!! one of the most important thing is to unload and show clear before moving to a different shooting position if you can do it safe they will let you get away with anything.

I have been going to Okeechobee Shooting Sport from back when they were off of fox brown road and I like the range and the owners they are good people and have taken good care of me over the years.

People get upset because of some of there rules but they are there for a reason.. I have been there when people doing rapid fire drills have shot over the bank and hitting other peoples targets and frames some really unsafe stuff so I am ok with the no rapid fire drills on the line because most people cant shoot!!!

I am 50/50 on the no shooting steel cased ammo I would like to shoot cheap steel cased ammo but I did have to go to the hospital to get a piece of case removed from the side of my head when some ahole had a out of battery fire with some cheap home built AK...

If you remember message me before you go out next time And my girlfriend and I will try to meet you out there so we can do some shooting-Doug

I go every other Friday in the afternoon, and I have had NO problems with anyone there shooting or the range staff. All have acted very professional in all of the dealing I have had with them.

They are more expensive then the Indian River County Range, but since my wife and I purchased a place out there for a weekend spot to go, it is on the way and I find myself shooting more, so that in it self is a plus.

Their port-o-lets are clean and are the big handicap ones.

Im throwing around the idea of getting a membership there, it covers the whole family.

Ill be there this Friday putting a few hundred rds through my new Kahr.

Edited by 07HEMI4ME

I emailed them to ask why AK-47's are not allowed on the rifle range, but only on the "tactical" range (more expensive) and why only brass ammo is allowed. The dipwad who responded never answered my questions but had a hissy fit about how if I didn't like their rules, I didn't have to go there. WTF? Two follow-up emails, have gone unanswered. Guess what, I'll never go there if that's how they treat potential customers.

Wow! quite a bit of forum members here in the S Florida area. Does this mean I wont be able to shoot my 7.62X39 on the rifele range if I conver it?