How to on filing the Mag catch?

With a small flat file and some standard COMBLOC (steel AK mags) handy or Bulgy Circle 10's.

Don't use US made mags for this filing/testing.

File this top edge on the mag catch.

post-8775-12716787898327_thumb.jpg

Keep trying to fit the steel mags till one of them JUST-barely clicks in.. (You only take off about 1/8".)

May need a hair adjustment or breakin from that point to get all your mags to fit.

If you take off too much your factory mags will be almost useless.

If you do it properly your factory mags will have a HAIR play and will still function fine as well as the COMBLOC mags you are trying to use.

Hope this helps.

Albert

With a small flat file and some standard COMBLOC (steel AK mags) handy or Bulgy Circle 10's.

Don't use US made mags for this filing/testing.

File this top edge on the mag catch.

post-8775-12716787898327_thumb.jpg

Keep trying to fit the steel mags till one of them JUST-barely clicks in.. (You only take off about 1/8".)

May need a hair adjustment or breakin from that point to get all your mags to fit.

If you take off too much your factory mags will be almost useless.

If you do it properly your factory mags will have a HAIR play and will still function fine as well as the COMBLOC mags you are trying to use.

Hope this helps.

Albert

Thanks for the reply and the how-to.

Not to sound like a dildo, but does anyone have a better pic. I don't have my Saiga yet and I'm trying to familiarize myself with it.

I used a dremel tool and it took about 5 minutes, just grind a little and try the mag. I fit mine to Tapco mags and took off about 1/16" and the factory mag still works fine even though it's a little loose. Just follow the shape of the stock catch and shorten it evenly a little at a time until your big mag clicks in, I sanded it smooth with strips of cloth sandpaper to make it slick.

One thing you don't want to do is take a measured amount - like 1/16" or 1/8" - off before you try the mags you have. Your rifle may not need that much. This is very much a try as you go mod. If you don't have com-bloc mags yet, purchase some so you can try them for fit before you take any off the mag catch. Once you get your rifle, you will clearly see where the excess metal must be removed. See the link below for one source for good quality mags. It's your decision on the capacity you want to have on hand. I have a 30 and a 40 rnd but I prefer the 20 rnd mags for most of my shooting. You can't beat $9.95 ea. plus a free 3-rnd mag pouch for each 3 mags you buy.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=15

One thing you don't want to do is take a measured amount - like 1/16" or 1/8" - off before you try the mags you have. Your rifle may not need that much. This is very much a try as you go mod. If you don't have com-bloc mags yet, purchase some so you can try them for fit before you take any off the mag catch. Once you get your rifle, you will clearly see where the excess metal must be removed. See the link below for one source for good quality mags. It's your decision on the capacity you want to have on hand. I have a 30 and a 40 rnd but I prefer the 20 rnd mags for most of my shooting. You can't beat $9.95 ea. plus a free 3-rnd mag pouch for each 3 mags you buy.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=15

Thanks all of you guys for the replies. I feel way more confident now.

I just got the rifle and I'm trying to figure it out. Do I file the part on the lower part of the receiver or the end of the spring loaded latch?

I'm really confused.

You file the top end (closest to the reciever) of the spring loaded mag catch. Somewhere on this forum is a good, clear explanation with diagrams and pix, but you would have to search for it. I was reluctant to do this at first, too, but the absolute worse thing you can do is file it too far and you would have to put on another $20 mag latch...

I just got the rifle and I'm trying to figure it out. Do I file the part on the lower part of the receiver or the end of the spring loaded latch?

I'm really confused.

You file the top end (closest to the reciever) of the spring loaded mag catch. Somewhere on this forum is a good, clear explanation with diagrams and pix, but you would have to search for it. I was reluctant to do this at first, too, but the absolute worse thing you can do is file it too far and you would have to put on another $20 mag latch...

East German magazine catch at K-Var is only $5.53 right now. It would work fine.