Saiga with Magpul AFT

Glad to hear you like it.

I'm considering the same thing for my Saiga 223. Here's a conceptual drawing:

223CONCEPT4.jpg

Can the AFG mount any further back towards the magwell, or will it interfere with the mag insertion?

Corbin

Any further and it catches the finger when releasing the mag. Could probably find a method and get used to it but i put it a notch further up and it was perfect.

Glad to hear you like it.

I'm considering the same thing for my Saiga 223. Here's a conceptual drawing:

223CONCEPT4.jpg

Can the AFG mount any further back towards the magwell, or will it interfere with the mag insertion?

Corbin

FWIW, keep in mind the Magpul AFT was ergonomically designed to provide a far-forward grip position on the rifle's forend (as depicted below):

post-4853-12720885054208_thumb.jpg

By positioning it closer to the rifle's or shottie's magwell and receiver, you are losing some of the benefits of its design. Frankly, if you desire to grip the firearm's forend closer to the receiver there are likely better products, specifically vertical grips that would ergonomically serve the shooter better.

Just my two-cents.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Gary

I can see your point.

However, I have a special situation in that I cannot flex or extend my right wrist due to a gunshot injury a couple decades ago. As such, I cannot lay my palm flat on the bottom of the HG very well and my hand naturally sets in the position the AFG provides. I prefer holding my AKs close to the magazines.

I've tried vert grips and they're OK, but they're a pain for doing shoulder transitions, so I don't use them now, for the most part.

FWIW, keep in mind the Magpul AFT was ergonomically designed to provide a far-forward grip position on the rifle's forend (as depicted below):

post-4853-12720885054208_thumb.jpg

By positioning it closer to the rifle's or shottie's magwell and receiver, you are losing some of the benefits of its design. Frankly, if you desire to grip the firearm's forend closer to the receiver there are likely better products, specifically vertical grips that would ergonomically serve the shooter better.

Just my two-cents.

:rolleyes:

I don't know what to tell ya, i like the way the afg feels close in better than a vertical grip. The weight seems to distribute better across my left arm the way the forearm is turned. I guess i'm strange like that.

Check out how my red dot isn't low enough to co-lo with my irons like most other folks. To me, i can acquire targets faster when its up high like it is. I have a quick detach lever on it so guess i'll just deal with when the red dot goes out.

Of course, i'm just a mall ninja so its not like i really know anything.

I think the afg does look cool on it though.

If you like it and it works for you then that is all that matter but I must admit that your red dot looks like it sits high enough to preclude any decent cheek weld and the placement of the AFG also had me wondering. But, like I said if it works for you.

How did you attach the AFG to the stock hand guard?

Of course, i'm just a mall ninja so its not like i really know anything.

First time I've ever seen somebody type THAT admission.

VERY un-ninja like. :donatello::lolol::lolol:

Edited by bohound