K-Var heat shields 922r

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble coming up with the sixth and final compliance part for a new Saiga built. So far i have a pistol grip, g2 FCG and Gas piston....but thats only 5 922r parts.

I was looking over at K-Var and they had the handguard heat shield under their 922r section. I was wondering if any of you know if the handguard heat shield indeed counts as a 922r part.

I have already bought a romanian wood stock set as i want the traditional AK look. Will the heatshield fit inside the wooden handguard? I think that even if the heatshield is not counted as a 922r part, i would still consider buying it to protect the handguard from the heat.

Any other suggestions to reach 922r compliance? I do not want to rely on the magazine to be 922r compliant.

Also since i dont want to create another topic for this....anyone know if i can take a standard 30rd AK mag and somehow modify it to only fit 10 rnds? I live in Kalifornia so that sucks for me and i think that part of the AK allure is the banana mag it has.

Also for those who live in Kalifornia and have their Saigas converted....what is the "bullet button" that you recommend? I have seen various ones from different manufactures, and even from a forum member at calguns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=69570) im mainly looking for ease of use.

Thanks

Edit - i also had another question i forgot to ask in my main post. I was looking over at Carolinas shooting Supplies and found the trigger retaining plates....but they have two different models. One from Tapco ($5.95) and one that has no brand ($7.95). The Tapco one is bigger, so why the price difference? which one is better?

And i am a little confused...with the Tapco G2 FCG do i need a disconnector spring?

Edited by lagann

You can switch out the followers in the magazines for American ones for a compliance part, other than that, off the top off my head you could use a different butt stock, I know it doesn't fit in with it but the romainian stock is whats hurting you. I know you want to be able to use any mags but if you used American ones there are 3 compliance parts right there. I may be missing something but I'm pretty sure with that stock and fore end, you are stuck with followers for compliance...

EDIT: And yeah, the heat shield is not a compliance part.

Edited by ThirtyAughtSix

The other option is going with US-made furniture from Ironwood or another manu, which will be way more expensive than the Romanian wood but will also look nicer.

As far as making a 10-round mag, I doubt that inserting a dowel in the mag to retard the follower would be CA-compliant, but that's the standard hunting trick. Usually a ban mag will have permanent dimples which keep the follower from going all the way down. If you have any welding experience, you could add a fixed block on the inside which does the same thing. Honestly, though, the stubby 10-rounders may not look as nice but they are handier for some kinds of shooting.

You'll have to use the old disconnecter spring in the new G2.

Edited by rob-cubed

It sounds like you may be focusing on counting the number of US made parts?

Remember that it doesnt matter how many USA parts you have - you must make sure not to have too many foreign made components re; the 922r regulations. (that includes china, israel, etc , as well as ussr)

Read through some of the great info threads here and/or other sites and you'll get a better handle on the rules ...silly as they may be.

Best of luck

HarvKY