Egyptian MAADI NIB or new SAIGA 7.62 conversion?

I don't own any AK variants, but I've been doing a lot of reading and dreaming. I want an all-around, reliable survival rifle, in the rare case that I ever do live in a third world country or post-apocalyptic world (basically the same thing). I've pretty much narrowed my decision down to an Egyptian MAADI ARM (not a MISR) or a SAIGA 7.62 full conversion. IF (that's a big IF) I can find a screaming deal on a NIB MAADI for the same price as it is to FULLY convert a SAIGA 7.62, which should I go for?

Next: Parts Kit or SAIGA conversion? I am considering German, Hungarian, Egyptian, and Bulgarian parts with new chrome barrels and receivers.

I would go for the Saiga, since it's newly manufactured and made in Russia. If you have the cash, pick up an Arsenal modified Saiga for $699 (pictured below). Although, it is fun to convert it yourself and know you put the time and work into making it look just how you want it. d_1197.jpg

Edited by KC913

Converting it yourself is way more satisfying and you will be proud of it. Check out K-Var for the Arsenal Saigas. Just go to their website and search for "SGL"

Edited by KC913

I have both.

A Maadi ARM (not a MISR)and a Legion/Arsenal/Tromix 7.62........

I wouldn't trade either of them, but if I had to make a choice between them, I'd go with

the Saiga every time !!

Moneywise, these days, there may not be that great a price difference between them...........

I got my Maadi years ago for under $200............(yeah, I know.....uncalled for........)

You could check out Atlantic Firearms for their Arsenals. They had 3 SGL models last time I looked for around $700 give or take a few bucks. I know their SGL with the plum furniture is right at $700, she's a pretty one.

And yeah, if you decide to go with converting it yourself at least you'll know it's made for all your personal preferences and you'll have one kick ass addition to your collection that you can really be proud of.

Thank you all! The MAADI, Hungarian SA-85, and converted SAIGAs seem to be about the same price these days... depending on where you get them. If I can get a NIB MAADI or SA-85 for the same price, I may get one of those... and build a SAIGA as my next venture. Then I could have a classic and a modern. :D

That is not a bad price at Atlantic. I'll have to think about that one. Thank you all!

got to say I really like my hungarian... but my converted saiga is my favorite of all my guns, and is definitely my go-to rifle. i'm honestly thinking of selling my ar-15 to fund a couple of new builds.. either that or maybe help pay for one of the robinson xcr's.

• 2 weeks later...