5.45 ordered, parts are on the way too...

I ordered my 5.45 yesterday. I already have a 20" Saiga .223 that is all stock except for a UTG mount and Tasco 3-9x32 scope. The .223 wil remain stock; all I did to the trigger was remove the pieces and polish the places where they touch, to smooth the feel. The 5.45, however, is getting semi-converted; FCG, PG, and wire folding stock. I'll replace the piston, too, with a US-made version, to keep compliant. And I have a 30-rd mag coming; if necessary, I'll install a bullet guide too.

I haven't done a conversion yet, but have been gathering the tools. I have most of it, a Dremel, several drills, etc., but I need to get some new Dremel grinding bits, and maybe a grinding stone for my Craftsman die grinder (I have carbide cutters). I ordered a double-hook Tapco trigger and it seems that most Saigas are cut for only one; so I guess I'll have to grind a notch for the second hook. Other than that, I've watched many of the Youtube videos about converting, and I've read several of the threads, and have one thread in particular saved, a step-by-step process outlined thoroughly.

This waiting is the worst.....

I ordered my 5.45 yesterday. I already have a 20" Saiga .223 that is all stock except for a UTG mount and Tasco 3-9x32 scope. The .223 wil remain stock; all I did to the trigger was remove the pieces and polish the places where they touch, to smooth the feel. The 5.45, however, is getting semi-converted; FCG, PG, and wire folding stock. I'll replace the piston, too, with a US-made version, to keep compliant. And I have a 30-rd mag coming; if necessary, I'll install a bullet guide too.

I'd consider replacing your mag floorplates with U.S. ones instead of doing the gas piston.

By the way - only ONE 30 round mag?

I haven't done a conversion yet, but have been gathering the tools. I have most of it, a Dremel, several drills, etc., but I need to get some new Dremel grinding bits, and maybe a grinding stone for my Craftsman die grinder (I have carbide cutters). I ordered a double-hook Tapco trigger and it seems that most Saigas are cut for only one; so I guess I'll have to grind a notch for the second hook. Other than that, I've watched many of the Youtube videos about converting, and I've read several of the threads, and have one thread in particular saved, a step-by-step process outlined thoroughly.

This waiting is the worst.....

Centerfire has a deal going on right now, Four 5.45 30 round mags and a 4 mag pouch for $40. Shipping cant be more than $10 for UPS.

I'd consider replacing your mag floorplates with U.S. ones instead of doing the gas piston.

By the way - only ONE 30 round mag?

Floorplates- thanks. Do you have a source for them?

Yeah, one for now. I don't keep a ton of magazines on hand for my guns anyway- 1 or 2 per rifle is enough for me.

The mag I ordered was this one:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-359/AK74-Bulgarian-5.45x39-Magazine/Detail

as recommended in this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=49614

Edited by dussandr

Centerfire has a deal going on right now, Four 5.45 30 round mags and a 4 mag pouch for $40. Shipping cant be more than $10 for UPS.

Aimsurplus has the same deal, and they are better people to deal with, in my experience.

Floorplates- thanks. Do you have a source for them?

K-Var. Just go to their Magazines page and click Floorplates. You can get single floorplates, or a pack of 6.

Yeah, one for now. I don't keep a ton of magazines on hand for my guns anyway- 1 or 2 per rifle is enough for me.

My wife would like the way you think. Me, I consider you insufficiently paranoid. ;-)

Aimsurplus has the same deal, and they are better people to deal with, in my experience.

I agree with Jim, Aim has better shipping rates usually as well. Great outfit, easy to return stuff if you have a problem. :super:

Damn, I looked and didnt see anything, I just ordered 2 cans of 1080 count 5.45 from them. Guess I have spread my love to 3 companies so far today :D

My wife would like the way you think. Me, I consider you insufficiently paranoid. ;-)

:D My wife is very indulgent of my hobbies. I just don't want to push my luck...

I have to get registered with AIM Surplus. They were $20.00 cheaper on a single spam can of 5.45 than SG, but you have to submit an ID photo, and the bank card is in my wife's name. I am going tomorrow to start an account at the Mobil credit union around the corner; then I'll have a Visa in my name, and can submit an ID to AIM, and buy ammo from them, as they seem to have the best price on 5.45 right now.

The Walmart moneycard I've been using, to keep internet purchases separate from our bank account, has been pissing me off. Saturday Apr 24 I ordered a scope and mount from Opticsplanet, it was $68.00, Walmart withheld the same amount again, another $68.00, for some unknown reason. So for a week and a half, they've held my money hostage. Today they finally released it. Wife has my truck today, but tomorrow, I go to Mobil.

Now, I can feel better about staying behind here when evacuations are called for hurricanes. I can't believe I stayed here through one, with no gun at all. No police to call, no nothing. I slept with an axe by my side. That's my SHTF scenario- hurricane evac. People get desperate when all the stores are closed, and all the roads are closed due to debris, and so no supplies get in- no gas, no food, no water. That makes for a desperate, and therefore dangerous, population.

Emails indicate that all my stuff was shipped, and is on the way. It should all be delivered by Tuesday. I'm still looking for US 5.45 mag floorplates. The anticipation is KILLING me! I feel like a kid the week before Christmas.

Just got back from the range. Gun shop called, the 5.45 came in, so I drove down and shot it with some ammo I picked up at Academy. Headshots no problem at 50 yards. The manual says 100m group is 133mm. The conversion parts are on their way, so next week should be busy. The receiver is plum on the inside! Outside is darker, but there's still a hint of it in the right light. Dimpled receiver. Date of 4-23-09.

I followed the directions on a websites step-by-step guide to conversions. I got the trigger guard off no problem, and the plate below it too. I cleaned the receiver, and am waiting on the new trigger components and pistol grip. It was easy. I used a carbide cutter in a die grinder to grind the heads off the rivets, and it all went smoothly. Mon or Tue I'll finish, when the parts get here.

Folding stock came today. It is short! Good, I wanted a short folder. It fit perfectly (A Romanian wire side-folder). I just ordered a bullet guide from Danzig Arms for it, and the magazines should be here tomorrow, along with the trigger group and pistol grip. Thanks to the forum for all the help.

Folding stock came today. It is short! Good, I wanted a short folder. It fit perfectly (A Romanian wire side-folder). I just ordered a bullet guide from Danzig Arms for it, and the magazines should be here tomorrow, along with the trigger group and pistol grip. Thanks to the forum for all the help.

I didn't need a bullet guide for my 5.45. I have not had even one problem.

I didn't need a bullet guide for my 5.45. I have not had even one problem.

I was hoping I'd get by without one, but looking at the stock mag vs the regular AK74 mag, the made me re-think it. I'd rather have the guide and not need it, than need it and not have it.

This gun will be the gun I grab if I have to evacuate, as it's small size fits well in my Ranger, so I want it as reliable as possible. I also need to look up the laws regarding AKs in Louisiana, because that's where I usually evacuate to (I'm in SE TX), and I don't want it taken from me.

I went to the range today with the 5.45. 4 mags through it with no jams, no problems. Also no bullet guide, although I have one on order. I'll install it anyway just for insurance.

I tried shooting it from the hip, and it was surprisingly easy to aim, at least at 20 yards. Then I folded the stock, and shot it one-handed, like a pistol. Same results- accurate, and the lack of recoil made shooting a breeze. 5.45 Draco, anyone?

I agree with Jim, Aim has better shipping rates usually as well. Great outfit, easy to return stuff if you have a problem. :super:

Anyone know where to find some affordable mags? I'm looking to start ordering my gun and accessories in the next day or so, and the centerfire as well as AIM deals look to both be over as they're sold out. They each only carried one mag, and I didn't see anything about a deal; I may be blind, however.

dussandr,

Is that a Tapco AK74 mag? If so, how's it work?

Looks good!

:super:

Thanks Fluid.

Yes, it's a Tapco mag. It feeds fine.

I ghetto'ed the cheap pistol grip with some Tool-Dip rubber coating. I dipped it about 6 times, to build up the rubber on the grip. No slip to it at all now.

Took the 5.45 and the .223 to the range today. It's an indoor range (yay air conditioning!) but only 50 yds on the rifle range. Still, in the Texas heat, a cool 50 yds beats a hot 100 or 200 any day (92 today).

The 5.45 is a blast to shoot. It's accurate enough, and almost no recoil. I shot it one-handed again, like a pistol, and if it had a muzzle brake, I'm sure follow-up shots wouldn't be as hard.

The .223 20" is a laser- literally. I mounted a green UTG laser on the side, and with the cheap Tasco scope, hitting at 50yds is childs play. No recoil with it either, although I will have to change the trigger group over to a Tapco- side by side with the converted 5.45, it was unacceptable. I need to work on steadying the rifle and controlling my breathing- all the typical n00b stuff. Good thing ammo is going down in price.

I mounted the laser/scope onto the 5.45 and that was funny. The folding stock made shooting with the scope difficult, but it was a blast to fire from the hip using the laser to sight. And of course, one-handed. By this time, with me shooting both my rifles, and the lanes on either side of me occupied too, the indoor rifle range was getting smoky. So the green laser was cutting a green swath through all that smoke, and it looked cool. :D

And the last part of range day was just as fun. Came home, caught a lil buzz, turned the garage stereo up a bit, and broke the guns down and cleaned them. I have a table out back on sawhorses, and a table for my box o' cleaning stuff, and all my cleaning rods and shit, and it was great. Sunny, warm, birds in the trees singing and chirping, what more could ya ask?

Oh, and I forgot. No jams, malfunctions, or any problems, of any kind, with either rifle.

Edited by dussandr