LUPOs 12g 00 buck shoot off

Today I went out shooting and wanted to compare

some 12g 00 buck. All are full power(high brass wink wink)

2 3/4.

Distance 18.3 yards 55 feet

Indoor range

I was told the German made wolf buck was junk

by a member so I wanted to prove him wrong, plus

its a good comparison and was also fun, so why not.

Wolf is also the only one that is "preformance guaranteed"

if that means anything to you.

The contenders!

1. Remington

2. Federal

3. Wolf

4. Hornady tap

All did well but some did better than others. I pretty much called it on

the results before I even fired one round.

Me personally I use the hornady tap in all my shotguns

for defense/personal protection

and I buy them cheap stock them deep

with the wolf and federal, but all will get the job done.

The winners are..

1st Hornady

2nd Wolf

3rd Federal, but was a close 2nd

4th Remington

post-24640-12732712273342_thumb.jpg

Edited by saigalupo

I pretty much called it on

This is why I'll never trust a post from you.

You left out all the details anyway, how far were you from your target? What were the weather conditions? How long were you taking between shots?

These things matter, anyone who TRULY claims to know whats up knows this.

Besides, slugs are where it's at...

Edited by Caged

I pretty much called it on

This is why I'll never trust a post from you.

You left out all the details anyway, how far were you from your target? What were the weather conditions? How long were you taking between shots?

These things matter, anyone who TRULY claims to know whats up knows this.

Besides, slugs are where it's at...

The proof is in the pudding.

Ive shot all these before so I knew what to expect.

I only took enough time in between shots to take pic and reload.

After 1st shot took pic

and the next four were fired in rapid succession.

Edited by saigalupo

You just can't seem to answer a question can you?

How far away were the targets, because looking at the spread you looked to be about 20-30 ft. from them.

Sure all HD scenarios will normally be at closer ranges but let's see them all at 100 ft...

How far away were the targets, because looking at the spread you looked to be about 20-30 ft. from them.

Sure all HD scenarios will normally be at closer ranges but let's see them all at 100 ft...

I did answer the question I just edited my first post cause yeah, you were right I forgot a few things.

I wanted to use the rifle bay but it was closed today for police recruit training

and it was pouring rain all day so I didnt drive to the outdoor range.

Why dont you go shooting and show us what kind of groups you get?

I get about the same a little larger at 25 yards with my

remington 870 with modified choke.

At 33 yards or 100 feet? Yeah I could still hit ya no problem.

Edited by saigalupo

I did answer the question I just edited my first post cause yeah, you were right I forgot a few things.

I wanted to use the rifle bay but it was closed today for police recruit training

Because I don't feel the NEED to show my shooting prowess, if it matters though, I can put a SLUG into a 1 liter Coke bottle full of water at over 60 ft and continue to hit the motherfucker.

My wife can too, in fact, she could probably teach you a thing or two... she does it with a 40 caliber pistol... :rolleyes:

Edited by Caged

Because I don't feel the NEED to show my shooting prowess, if it matters though, I can put a SLUG into a 1 liter Coke bottle full of water at over 60 ft and continue to hit the motherfucker.

My wife can too, in fact, she could probably teach you a thing or two... she does it with a 40 caliber pistol... :rolleyes:

I didnt post this to brag, just to inform and prove a point about wolf 12g.

I could do the same at 60 ft with slugs too not that hard. If I wanted to brag

Id tell you about my sub moa groups with my remy 700p.

Well my girl could shoot pretty damn well too

and she likes to shoot my 870 at 60 ft and hits center about 90% of the time.

And she said forget .40, real women shoot .45 :haha:

Heres the lil lady now with remy 870 and Hk usp...45

post-24640-12732863982981_thumb.jpg

post-24640-12732864756916_thumb.jpg

The point of buckshot IS to spread. If you want the tightest pattern possible then use a slug.

No one said Wolf was shitty ammo, I mean, it is (hey, there's nothing wrong with that I shoot Wolf and Brown Bear through my AR-15 all the time) but that's because it's cheap. It'll still kill, well, only if it's #1 buck or larger but that's the same with most shotgun ammo.

I see your woman needs a Knoxx recoil-reducing stock, that's too bad, mine shoots 3" magnum slugs through my Mossberg 500 with an ATI no-frills stock, she's even pulled off the rubber butt-pad before and called me a pussy. Then she pissed while standing up and spelled her name in the dirt (her maiden name is Polychrenopolis) in perfect cursive. :lolol:

Do I really need to post a pic of my woman firing the Desert Eagle .44 mag???? :super::haha::devil:

Fact of the matter is, use what you like. Others will use what they like, if they think that Wolf is shit then let 'em. Screw 'em, if and when (God forbid) you hear a bump in the night and you grab the Saiga, jerk the charging handle and load a shell of Wolf buckshot in the chamber and you trust it, GREAT, good for you, remember to remain calm, place your shot carefully, don't hesitate, and most importantly, BREATHE! Personally, I will grab my good ole Mossy, she's never failed to fire or eject EVER, and she's already equipped with a white light and the necessary slugs to eliminate the threat. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who gets past me, then he'll have to deal with the little woman who will have the AR-15 also equipped with a white light, extra mags AND twin .40 cal pistols BOTH equipped with lights. If all else fails, she's got her trusty double-barrel.

In fact, I feel sorry for that poor bastard. :lolol:

You can't convince everybody to use what you use, just like they won't convince you to use what they use. I find whatever is cheapest and most convenient for me, right now that's Winchester 00 buck, Federal 00 Buck, Remington slugs, and Rio Slugs.

You seem to be pretty adept with a weapon, but Saigas are pretty accurate in my experience. Just tone it down a bit and you'll be good.

Don't try to convince me to change my tactics unless, of course, you've got a security job with a private civilian contractor overseas making six figures a year... :super:

"The point of buckshot IS to spread. If you want the tightest pattern possible then use a slug."

I want all my pellets to be on target. Slugs have far too much penetration to use for HD in a residential area IMO. Even buck shot has too much penetration in alot of cases.

P.S having a tighter pattern gives you the ability to take longer shots safely if needed

Edited by raidersfan_5544

I want all my pellets to be on target. Slugs have far too much penetration to use for HD in a residential area IMO. Even buck shot has too much penetration in alot of cases.

P.S having a tighter pattern gives you the ability to take longer shots safely if needed

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You should try the federal premium tactical with flite control and the NEW hornady TAP FPD with versa-tite wad. They shoot tighter patterns than everything you posted IMO

Thankyou for the tip I will definitely look into it.

The point of buckshot IS to spread. If you want the tightest pattern possible then use a slug.

No one said Wolf was shitty ammo, I mean, it is (hey, there's nothing wrong with that I shoot Wolf and Brown Bear through my AR-15 all the time) but that's because it's cheap. It'll still kill, well, only if it's #1 buck or larger but that's the same with most shotgun ammo.

I see your woman needs a Knoxx recoil-reducing stock, that's too bad, mine shoots 3" magnum slugs through my Mossberg 500 with an ATI no-frills stock, she's even pulled off the rubber butt-pad before and called me a pussy. Then she pissed while standing up and spelled her name in the dirt (her maiden name is Polychrenopolis) in perfect cursive. :lolol:

Do I really need to post a pic of my woman firing the Desert Eagle .44 mag???? :super::haha::devil:

Fact of the matter is, use what you like. Others will use what they like, if they think that Wolf is shit then let 'em. Screw 'em, if and when (God forbid) you hear a bump in the night and you grab the Saiga, jerk the charging handle and load a shell of Wolf buckshot in the chamber and you trust it, GREAT, good for you, remember to remain calm, place your shot carefully, don't hesitate, and most importantly, BREATHE! Personally, I will grab my good ole Mossy, she's never failed to fire or eject EVER, and she's already equipped with a white light and the necessary slugs to eliminate the threat. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who gets past me, then he'll have to deal with the little woman who will have the AR-15 also equipped with a white light, extra mags AND twin .40 cal pistols BOTH equipped with lights. If all else fails, she's got her trusty double-barrel.

In fact, I feel sorry for that poor bastard. :lolol:

You can't convince everybody to use what you use, just like they won't convince you to use what they use. I find whatever is cheapest and most convenient for me, right now that's Winchester 00 buck, Federal 00 Buck, Remington slugs, and Rio Slugs.

You seem to be pretty adept with a weapon, but Saigas are pretty accurate in my experience. Just tone it down a bit and you'll be good.

Don't try to convince me to change my tactics unless, of course, you've got a security job with a private civilian contractor overseas making six figures a year... :super:

Ha good write up. This wolf ammo is the only wolf that I would recommend and for the money($4.99) its hard to beat for practice and to stock deep, I would

also trust my life with it. I thought it would suck when I first tried it but was shocked by how well it did. Plus its made in Germany, by Lapua/Schönebeck no less.

Yes you do need to post pics of chicks shooting!

Good eye on the knoxx stock, it really does reduce recoil by about 40%. I love it and so does she. And who wouldnt like lower recoil

in a shotgun??

"The point of buckshot IS to spread. If you want the tightest pattern possible then use a slug."

Perfect, couldnt have said it better!

lupo here is a LINK to a range trip I took similar to yours if you want to peep it out. Mine was with a 12in SBS though and I shot at 10 & 25 yards outside in the wind. Even at 25 yards outside with a SBS the fed flite control patternd within the size of a C note

lupo here is a LINK to a range trip I took similar to yours if you want to peep it out. Mine was with a 12in SBS though and I shot at 10 & 25 yards outside in the wind. Even at 25 yards outside with a SBS the fed flite control patternd within the size of a C note

Great thread man!

Wow that fed flite control did pretty damn good! Im very impressed, gonna have to go get a couple boxes of it.

Thanks for showing us.

Lupo,

Thanks for the write up and I will second the opinion on the Federal 8 pellet buck for an excellent shotgun round. That is the round that we were issued along with slugs before going to the Polyshok rounds http://www.polyshok.com/. Best of both worlds in this one, but I do wish that it was available to the civilian market and not just leo/military. Some good videos in the link.

Yeah, well, those of you who live in a city need to adjust accordingly. Even buckshot will overpenetrate.

I happen to live in an apartment complex right now but the HVAC unit is right outside my bedroom door so it SHOULD stop the slug. I'm not really worried, my neighbor isn't home most nights, when she is, I grab the .40 loaded with DRT frangibles (aim low with these) if there is a problem. The point is that the slug is a blunt nose object travelling at 1500 feet per second. The 5.56 out of my AR is a point-tipped projectile travelling at over 3,000 feet per second. The more blunt the tip the easier it is to stop. Yes, it has a TON of weight but it shouldn't go through the HVAC AND two layers of sheetrock.

Oh and I LIKE the recoil of my shotgun...

The Saiga eats up too much of the recoil IMO... :super:

Lupo,

Thanks for the write up and I will second the opinion on the Federal 8 pellet buck for an excellent shotgun round. That is the round that we were issued along with slugs before going to the Polyshok rounds http://www.polyshok.com/. Best of both worlds in this one, but I do wish that it was available to the civilian market and not just leo/military. Some good videos in the link.

Thankyou Georgiapd,

Glad I could help.

If I was an LEO I would be using those tax dollars on the best ammo I could get my hands on too lol.

Im happy with the federal, great company and great products.

Thanks for posting the tests & pictures , im flying over to shoot the Panamerican shotgun match in KY & this has helped me decide which brand of buckshot to buy.As im sure you know Ipsc matches require a tight group on paper targets on buckshot stages .

Did all the 4 test brands fit in an MD drum ?

If I was an LEO I would be using those tax dollars on the best ammo I could get my hands on too lol.

Actually, we are saving money by doing this and only using one type of round. We only have to buy one type now and saved a couple thousand dollars over the year. And the best part, they cycle out of the S12 :super:

For the record, accuracy isn't the issue with wolf.

It's malfunctioning cartradges screwing up guns.

I don't know about their 12 gauge rounds, but I would feel like a complete idiot if I used them knowing what I know about wolf & my gun got screwed up.

Who could I bitch to if I already knew better & did it anyhow?

For instance there's only 2 rules with a P-64...

1- Clean all the cosmoline out of them. They don't run well with it.

2- Don't shoot Wolf! There's no spare parts available for the guns.

Just call me cautious I guess.

"I happen to live in an apartment complex right now but the HVAC unit is right outside my bedroom door so it SHOULD stop the slug. I'm not really worried"

Just so you know a slug will go right through your wall and that AC unit. The only way the AC unit would stop the slugs is if the slug hit the compressor but that sits at the very bottom of the unit.

"The point is that the slug is a blunt nose object travelling at 1500 feet per second. The 5.56 out of my AR is a point-tipped projectile travelling at over 3,000 feet per second."

A slug will penetrate through walls and other cover way more than a 55gr 223. A 9mm can possibly penetrate more cover than a 55gr 223. I saw a demo of this , They checked penetration of slugs,buck and bird shot. Then they tested the 223 and 9mm. They were shooting through mocked up walls(4) complete with framing,dry wall, insulation, and for the exterior wall they used siding and stucco

No, I highly doubt that the round would go through a bad guy, through the wooden door to the HVAC unit, the HVAC unit, a wall, another wall, everything that is in the kitchen, a wall, and then another wall especially if it hits a stud.

But hey, you like to just pick apart my quotes to make me sound like a jackass. I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that my neighbor isn't home most nights and on the nights that she is I ready the .40 cal with frangible ammo...

That's ok though, I know a few people who aren't adept at comprehending what they are reading and I constantly have to re-post what I say because I guess the paragraphs just look to daunting to read in whole. They're liberals though, didn't figure I'd run into many of those on a Saiga 12 forum...

But hell, you can't even figure out how to quote me correctly. Maybe your helmet is too tight.:lolol:

Edited by Caged

Sorry if I came across as picking you apart I just didnt agree with what you posted. I was just stating my opinion and I believe in your post #13 you were the one telling me that "The point of buckshot IS to spread. If you want the tightest pattern possible then use a slug" When all I was trying to tell lupo is that the tightest patterns came from those rounds imo(which seemed to be what he was after) and that I prefer tight patterns over straying pellets. I still dont think 12ga slugs in an apartment hoping that you will hit the ac and it will stop it is a good idea but to each his own. If you are feeling "caged" and need to vent though go ahead I can take it.

Thanks for posting the tests & pictures , im flying over to shoot the Panamerican shotgun match in KY & this has helped me decide which brand of buckshot to buy.As im sure you know Ipsc matches require a tight group on paper targets on buckshot stages .

Did all the 4 test brands fit in an MD drum ?

No worries mate glad I could help.

I have no idea I did not test any in a drum because I dont have one. All shooting was done with factory 5 rounder. I think all would do fine except

wolf because even though its 2 3/4, its a tad longer than the rest, But I cant prove this.

Good luck and good shooting!

Oh yeah..

Go Manchester United!!