I'm looking to take the plunge. I've read the reviews, watched the DVD, etc. Pretty much decide its what I want but, damn they're expensive. Just need a little convincing that it's worth the price. I'm looking at a large one...pretty much all I can afford. Just me and the old lady with occasional friends.

Looking at the reviews the cons are the expense, the weight, and the lack of portability. I plan on building a table and putting it on the deck. No need to move it. Got a lot of friends with strong backs so getting the 140 lbs to the second story deck is not an issue either. It pretty much boils down to price. Anyone have convincing reasons as to why I should, or shouldn't, get one?

Thanks

Two points to consider:

1. Do you grill a lot? If so, than go for it. It's the Cadillac of grills.

2. If you do steaks, can it get to 800+ degrees? That's the best way to do steaks.

Myself, I hate grilling. I have to move all my stuff outside, fight inconsistent heat, wind. and bugs, but given the option, that's the one I would get. Webber doesn't make crap.

1. Yeah, we grill quite a bit. In all types of weather and temps. Don't have many bugs around. The wind is an issue but I'm thinking it this system won't be effected too much by wind...at least not like the gas grill. I was looking to build an outside oven/grill until I stumbled upon the BGE.

2. Yes. Absolutely. That's why deer and elk (and hopefully a bison if the I could ever draw a tag) hit the ground each year. Got friends/coworkers that give deals on 1/2 a beef too. We also have a good source for local hogs. Steaks, roasts, etc. all go on the grill. The ability to smoke would be a great addition. We also but a lot of pizza from a local wood fired joint so I could probably make the cost up in pizzas alone in about a year!

The sticker shock is just a bit overwhelming...I don't want any buyer's remorse.

Sounds like a winner to me. You know your meat, and I'll bet pizza would be awesome in that thing. About the sticker shock, you don't see used ones for sale for a reason-it's a valuable, durable good.

I have one. It is amazing. You will be so happy you got one, you won't stop cooking on it for a long time.

I wanted one for awhile, and when I got married we got lots of gift certificates to a place that sold them, so I took the plunge. I really lucked out though, cause I ordered a medium (the large and extra large are stupid expensive), and it took over a month before I heard anything. I went back, and asked what was going on, and the next day, they upgraded me for free to a large. Pretty sweet.

The next Eggcessory I need to get for it is the pizza pan/drip pan holder. You can put a pan in there and smoke/steam your ribs and it is fantastic.

I've cooked fish, ribs, roasts, chicken and more. I cooked a few T-bones on it, and it melted in your mouth.

Make sure to read the instructions though, you have to use certain things to light it and natural charcoal, the other stuff gets into the pores of the ceramic and you never get it out.

Get the biggest one you can comfortably afford. You won't regret it. I have to go fire mine up now, I just got all excited all over again.

Build something much better build a UDS (ugly drum smoker). I have build one and it is absolutely wonderful and cranks out amazing BBQ. I'm also in the process of building a second one. It will keep 225 degrees for 24+ hours with the fire basket I built and designed. The UDS is a copy or knock off of Rocky Richmond's BDS (Big Drum Smoker) smoker: http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/ http://www.bigdrumsm...lbum/photos.htm These smokers are made from a new or used food grade 55 gallon drum only. I have the opportunity to pick up a older green egg for free but passed because the parts for these things are expensive.

post-13534-1273982819697_thumb.jpg

http://www.bigdrumsmokers.com/

These things are kicking $10,000 smokers in the ass at all of the BBQ smoking competitions.

Some examples of folks that have build UDS's:

http://cowgirlscount...es-on-drum.html

Good luck and keep smokin...

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Well, I bit the bullet and got one.

Built the table all day Saturday. Bought the BGE this morning. Spent most of the day farting around with it. Cooked a pizza, roasted two chickens, grilled some green beans, and baked some stuffed apples for desert. I'm all smiles right now. That'll get slapped off when the Visa bill arrives :devil:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjItMjAxMDA1MTYtMTIxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjQtMjAxMDA1MTYtMTcwN.jpg

:super:

I have an original kamado clay oven from the 70s. The thing rocks. Once you get it heated up it will hold a temperature very well... does everything from put a good sear on steaks to low-temp smoking. I hate cleaning it though, it's easier to pull out the fire ring and basin and just dig out the ashes from above. The little door at the bottom is much better as an air regulator. Also, the lid doesn't flip far enough back for my tastes, makes getting to food at the rear more difficult.

I switched to using a Volcano with a wok cover for a lid most days. It's an idea survival stove, the outside stays cool and it's lightweight and big enough for my family's needs (two adults and one child). But for parties and serious grilling I break out the kamado.

I love the BGE, but a couple of things, the manual says to open the top slowly and they are REALLY right, my neighbor didn't do that and he burned off his eyebrows LOL. Also, that adjustable air vent top should be cleaned because if you don't, junk will build up and cause it to almost seize shut(or in whatever position it's left in). enjoy it! nature hardwood is the only way to roll with it....

Edited by Vultite

Good point about the opening the top slowly Vultite, I opened mine fast and looked right in and a contact dried up and fell out. That was one of the first times I used it, ;earned a lot that day.

Congrats on the Egg sunnybean, and that is a nice smoke patina you've already got in there. Looks like you got the large, good call. Have fun with it. You won't regret the price at all, I actually spent way more on the Egg than my converted saiga. Happy Egging.

Thanks guys! Still pretty pumped on it. We had a get together for some guys that are leaving us at the bar tonight so I couldn't use it. But the leftovers were still amazing. Planning on planking some salmon tomorrow.

The heads up on burping the egg is appreciated. I had watched the "naked whiz" videos that day lighted this issue. As a fire guy it makes perfect sense...fire starved for oxygen and all of the sudden receives it...bang!

Gotta say, the "Real Flavor" hickory chips leave a bit to be desired. I hear the "Western" brand aren't any better. I got one more shop to visit and then its on to shipping them in....any suggestions?

Edited by sunnybean

Cut your own if you can. There's got to be some growing out by you, at least some oak or cherry. The good part is, you won't need it completely dry if you're smoking with it either. I've cut some cherry branches and some oak, I'm going to try maple next. It's fresh and free.

Cut your own if you can. There's got to be some growing out by you, at least some oak or cherry. The good part is, you won't need it completely dry if you're smoking with it either. I've cut some cherry branches and some oak, I'm going to try maple next. It's fresh and free.

Yeah, lots of wood but mostly sappy pine and fir....and most of it is bug killed. I can't think any of it would be good. There is very little hardwood. The only thing I can think of that might be good (and prevalent) is juniper. It might be like cedar.? I travel the US and cut trees for a living but space on the truck is limited. Plus, hauling back wood to burn, that I just saved from burning, seems goofy. :lolol:

Wow thanks for starting this thread ive heard of the bge but it has been a long time. Now I have been doing some research on the kamado grills there are some that are scams. So beware of the kamado dot com site its a fraud you can check it also at ripoff I almost ordered one this week. But I did a bit more research before hand and now im gona wait a bit cause the sale was pretty good but now im looking at a Grill dome/Primo or the BGE there are some dealers local here I can check out. But just wanted to post about the Kamado dot com site ran by Richard Johnson there is even a fraud forum over them http://www.kamadofraudforum.org/

But thanks for reminding me of these grills will be making up my mind very soon just got a house next is the grill I suppose Im liking the grill dome

post-17989-12742465156109_thumb.jpg

post-17989-12742465223476_thumb.jpg

post-17989-12742465379995_thumb.jpg

You can't go wrong with a kamado-style grill. They will outlast you. I got mine off Craigslist, it had been dropped and broken. A little masonry cement and it's back kicking. I've had it up to around 600F or so with no issues since.

BigCEC1, the cap on the ones you posted doesn't look like it is adjustable for venting... is it? The real benefit of these grills besides thermal mass is their ability to regulate airflow very well.

I don't know what wood is good to cook with or how much it cost at places but I have plenty of trees a lot of pecan some oak outhers I don't know what they are but usps has a flat rate box any thing up to 50 lbs I could cut some wood and ship it u pay for shipping you want to just wana play with my chain saw realy hasn't seen much action scence hurican katrina and rita

Yeah, lots of wood but mostly sappy pine and fir....and most of it is bug killed. I can't think any of it would be good. There is very little hardwood. The only thing I can think of that might be good (and prevalent) is juniper. It might be like cedar.? I travel the US and cut trees for a living but space on the truck is limited. Plus, hauling back wood to burn, that I just saved from burning, seems goofy. :lolol:

Several very good points. You could always try soaking your wood in wine or beer or the like.

Well, I'm shit out of suggestions other than that.