Saiga custom sights

my saiga is bone stock, with the help from a friend i got it to eat up cheap ammo, but i hate the stock rifle sights it has, i was going to remove the rear sight and just use the front iron like alot of old shotguns, but then i thought i might ask to see what you guys have done to improve your aim before i start regretting things.

i'm going full tactical with this one, it will be converted soon if it helps to know at all.

thanks in advance

my saiga is bone stock, with the help from a friend i got it to eat up cheap ammo, but i hate the stock rifle sights it has, i was going to remove the rear sight and just use the front iron like alot of old shotguns, but then i thought i might ask to see what you guys have done to improve your aim before i start regretting things.

i'm going full tactical with this one, it will be converted soon if it helps to know at all.

thanks in advance

A good way to gauge how well the iron sights work for you is to shoot a few clays. If you are an instinct shooter, you probably won't rely upon them a great deal. If you find them useful, I suggest you leave them as they are. You can put 300 yard sights on a 30 yard scatter gun, use the iron sights, or just sight down the gas tube.

One of the joys of a tactical shotgun is that you don't have to "draw a bead" to hit your target.

The iron sights are actually very accurate on my S12. I was thinking about picking up the raised front sight that mounts onto the barrel like a standard AK sight when I first got my S12, but after shooting it, I'm probably going to leave the sights like they are. I might grind the factory bead off and put a fiber optic sight or something similar on it. But, the factory sights are set up perfect for me.

Here's the sight I was looking at:

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-12-raised-front-sight-p-584.html?zenid=65412efaea0e9ac74e47d4491440e660

You can go this route, you can get a genuine Izhmash front sight for it for about 100 bucks, or put some HK sights on it. Another option is to get an ultimak rail or quad rail handguard for it and throw some flip-up sights like some others have done.

Edited by KC913

when it comes to clays, i'm not the born natural at it. but when shooting clays before i got my saiga, i always used my beat around noble 12 guage that just had the front bead sight and like a 12 foot long barrel. i loved it because really a shotgun is just a point and shoot gun.

i guess the quad rail i was looking at would replace the stock sights now that i think about it,

i was looking at the UTG something or another quad rail. i love the "SCAR" look the gun has with the top rail,

i can strongly agree with the fiber optics, i love the stock fiber optic front sight my judge came with, for a 2 inch barrel i can hit anything!

if you click on the pic it shows the versability of the rails in a slide show thing.

post-24737-1274140313861_thumb.gif

Edited by Arsenal-Junkie

Same, I have looked into the krebs sights systems etc. for the Saiga 12 but I find myself liking the factory irons best. They are fast and good enough for me. I figure the farthest I ever shoot shot is 25 yards, and slugs at 50, with almost all the shooting being buck/bird at 25 and under. Also to echo above, if I ever did change anything it'd be grinding off the front bead for a fiber optic one.

i can strongly agree with the fiber optics, i love the stock fiber optic front sight my judge came with, for a 2 inch barrel i can hit anything!

No, you can't...

I'm not slighting you on your accuracy, I'm sure you are a fine shooter, but you simply cannot hit reliably with SD loads in a Judge Public Defender...

As far as the Saiga sights go:

I normally run slugs, due to a change in living locations, some people on this forum, and some thinking, I run slugs when I'm staying in the country (almost every weekend) and buckshot when I'm in the apartment in town. I've been SUPER impressed with the factory sights on my Saiga, every time I've aimed at something, no matter what distance (c'mon people we're talking about shotgun ranges here), I've hit dead-on. I'll NEVER change these sights.

If it ain't broke...

ya i didnt mean to dog on the stock sights so badly, i just thing the rear sight kind of limits your sight through it some.

On my ak i used my dremel to make the rear sight more open, it's now in the shape of a "V" instead of the original "cut line" or whatever like the S12 and ak's use. it makes my ak much easier to throw up and shoot without focusing in the the way they were originally. i recommend doing it, but others love the way they are originally. So i guess it makes good conversation :smoke:

when i say that about my judge, i meant i feel so comfortable the way the sights are on it, i wouldn't change them for anything. Of course i can't hit a gopher at 150 yards with it lol, but i love the way they are designed.

I just adjusted the sights on a couple of S12 builds using a laser bore sighter. When the factory irons are adjusted properly they're hard to beat for accuracy and ease of use.

ya i didnt mean to dog on the stock sights so badly, i just thing the rear sight kind of limits your sight through it some.

On my ak i used my dremel to make the rear sight more open, it's now in the shape of a "V" instead of the original "cut line" or whatever like the S12 and ak's use. it makes my ak much easier to throw up and shoot without focusing in the the way they were originally. i recommend doing it, but others love the way they are originally. So i guess it makes good conversation :smoke:

when i say that about my judge, i meant i feel so comfortable the way the sights are on it, i wouldn't change them for anything. Of course i can't hit a gopher at 150 yards with it lol, but i love the way they are designed.

Oh no, I didn't take it that you were dogging on the factory sights, if you want to change them, change them. I would change them if mine weren't already so damn accurate.

I hear you on the Judge, they are some comfortable shooting guns, I had one, the Public Defender model that you have pictured. My wife absolutely LOVED to shoot it, I didn't mind it either, it was a good niche gun, but the opportunity arose for me to buy the last AR that my Dad ever built. One that was built before the Brady Bill, and I knew it's history and how reliable it was. The price was perfect, the Judge was a great gun but it simply couldn't compare with an AR-15, so I sold it to a buddy and bought the AR.

I think I made out on the deal pretty well... plus, if I ever want the Judge back I can just get it from my buddy but I think if I ever get another one it'll be one with the 3" cylinder and a longer barrel.

I'm thinking of doing the same sight modification that you did to your AK to my SKS though...

i can post a pic of my rear sight on the ak if you want a better idea, i love setting up clays at around 75-100 yards and showing my buddy up with his New Stag Ar.. haha who would of thought an ak with hacked sights could compete with ar-15's accuracy

ya the judge rocks, i love the stub nose version, but the 3" is way cool to. now if that damned .45 colt was only easier to find or cheaper... or both!