Arsenal 106 (.223) Mag question

I live in NYS and own an Arsenal 106. Because we still have an AWB, we are not allowed to purchase new production magazines over 10 round capacity that were made after 1994, so the new Bulgarian .223 mags are out of the question. Which pre-ban mags will run in the Arsenal 106? Have any of you tried Weiger, Norinco, or Yugo .223 AK mags in a Bulgarian .223 AK? What about Galil mags (Orlite or Steel?)? Thanks a lot.

I live in NYS and own an Arsenal 106. Because we still have an AWB, we are not allowed to purchase new production magazines over 10 round capacity that were made after 1994, so the new Bulgarian .223 mags are out of the question. Which pre-ban mags will run in the Arsenal 106? Have any of you tried Weiger, Norinco, or Yugo .223 AK mags in a Bulgarian .223 AK? What about Galil mags (Orlite or Steel?)? Thanks a lot.

You will be fu***g up a good thing by trying to use another country's .223 magazines. No standardization agreement ever existed for .223 caliber AKs, and all the mags are of different designs. Only the Bulgarian mags will fit your Arsenal w/o modifications.

Galil mags will not work w/o wrecking your rifle (the polymer ones only work in Saigas because the Saiga is specifically designed NOT to accept standard military issue AK magazines). The Galil is not an AK, and mags are not interchangeable (at least not with a lot of grinding/welding).

I'd suggest you stick with 10 round Bulgys and use your Bulgy 30 rounders when you go out of state (or when SHTF).

• 1 month later...

You should be able to fit Norinco, NOT POLYTECH, 223 pre ban mags into it, I can fit both bulgy and chi com into my 84-S's.

If you start to do some research, you will find that the Norinco mags, like some early bulgy mags, and alledgedly Russian and Polish 223 mags, all have a longer extension on the feed lips that force the shell straight into the chamber, which the later Bulgy mags do not have.

Meaning, the newer bulgy mags aren't very reliable in my Norincos, because the rounds are able to travel further side to side when they feed.

I would assume, that it would be a benefit to use the Chinee mags because of this.

The problem is, they are going regularly for 50 bucks and up, I have bought 20 some for my AKs, and none were less than 35, most around the 50 point, and you see some jokers asking upwards of 80 now and then, also, the much rarer 40 round Chinee mags, were going for 85 to 125!

Use mil surp 5.45 mags with the feed lips opened up to take the longer shoulder up front of the 5.56 round and use the Robarm 223 followers (have a ledge molded in that allows rounds to maintain alignment to full mag capacity). Years back I used E German 74 mags in my 556 Norinco rifles they were 100%. Norinco 223 mags have a built in ramp which would need to be lowered to work in a 106. I still haven't bought any 223 mags for my 106, they (5.45 mags)fit perfectly and with the mods are 100% too. :dollar:

Edited by avatar