Magpul AFG or Regular Vert. Grip?

Hey, I am going to be purchasing a forward grip for Tapco tri-rail. I've been leaning toward the Magpul AFG, but I was wondering if it's worth the extra 20 bucks. I could get a grip from EMA for 15, or the AFG for 40. In terms of comfort, ergonomics, the thumb break method, is it really worth it to go with the AFG?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by FatalSylence

Once again FatalSylence, I'll be happy to weigh in on my experience. I have found with my personal ergonomics that a straight foregrip is "no dice"... It causes me to tend to "chicken wing"... If you get into tactical shooting that is a big no-no. Not only that, but mounting it too close to the mag will cause difficulties when performing tactical mag changes.

My solution thus far? I have adopted the "Spetznaz" grip. That is, I'm using the mag itself as the foregrip. With my rifle (for that matter, ANY AK), I am not under any illusions of effective engagements over 200m. The AK is a "body mass" rifle (even though our Saiga's are WAY more accurate than the "average" AK by and large). The point is: Don't be afraid to send a devastating amount of lead down range to put the target down. Headshots are a pipe dream over 50 or so, and in combat conditions, a lot of physiological factors also come into play. You won't REALLY know until rounds are actually flying over head, but adrenaline, heart rate, noise, light, general confusion ALL will come into play. I personally have never had the "pleasure", and hope not to, but my hubby and his friends HAVE, and try to simulate this as best as (safely) possible in drills for those of us that have not. In other words- aim for body mass, shoot a LOT. (One of the "rules" of the USMC for gunfighting is: If it's worth killing, it's worth killing TWICE).

The reason I mention this is to demonstrate that the "Spetznaz" grip is MORE than adequite for this type/style of shooting in this mindset, and I've done quite well with it. Using this grip, the center of mass of the rifle is supported well, and there is less of a tendancy to "chicken wing" (I "rest" my forward elbow on the mags in my chest rig, and "exaggerate" the elbows in during training- train like you fight).

That said, lately I've been seriously considering the AFG option from Magpul. The reason is that I've been considering a folding stock for vehicular ops, as well as "tight" CQB, it seems to me the AFG would offer a more stable platform for this type of configuration, but really I think I would only use it with the stock folded. I'm still on the fence with this.

As to the Tapco tri rail, I don't know if you want to go that route... If you intend to send a lot of lead down range quickly, that is. I've read more than one post here about "catastrophic melting" of that product under such conditions, and that is NOT something you'd want to happen in combat conditions!

Basically, you have to ask yourself: What purpose am I building this rifle for? If it is a SHTF rifle (I suspect it is in your case), firstly: Excellent choice! There is no more reliable platform I have found for a "beginner", nor a more cost effective one. I routinely drag mine through any and all weather conditions, and she keeps running great! One lesson I've learned is NOT to compromise on cost vs. quality. I learned that the hard way, sort of. I have a UTG quad rail, which has served me well (In spite of BigSal constantly calling it inferior and cheap-hehe) and offers a reasonably priced ALUMINUM alternative to the Tapco product. Mine holds zero flawlessly, and has taken a beating and continued to function well. I'm nearly ready to move on to a different system, because I have grown as a shooter, have defined my needs more clearly, and I literally don't need or want three of the four rails. I'm "paying it forward" to my brother, who will mount it on his 7.62 (he switched from an AR to a Saiga after shooting mine- Talk about "reverse darkside"!) I think I saw a listing for a used UTG rail system here for like $35 a day or so ago- I'd jump on that if I were you, but it may be too late. Look in the "WTS" section, or put a "WTB/WTT" ad of your own up!

In closing, when money counts, I would prefer to buy solid, proven stuff that isn't going to break... Even if it runs a few more bones than you want. You really DO get what you pay for in my experience with these products- And like you've seen me say before: Your life may DEPEND on it someday.

Good luck, and hope I helped again.

Once again FatalSylence, I'll be happy to weigh in on my experience. I have found with my personal ergonomics that a straight foregrip is "no dice"... It causes me to tend to "chicken wing"... If you get into tactical shooting that is a big no-no. Not only that, but mounting it too close to the mag will cause difficulties when performing tactical mag changes.

My solution thus far? I have adopted the "Spetznaz" grip. That is, I'm using the mag itself as the foregrip. With my rifle (for that matter, ANY AK), I am not under any illusions of effective engagements over 200m. The AK is a "body mass" rifle (even though our Saiga's are WAY more accurate than the "average" AK by and large). The point is: Don't be afraid to send a devastating amount of lead down range to put the target down. Headshots are a pipe dream over 50 or so, and in combat conditions, a lot of physiological factors also come into play. You won't REALLY know until rounds are actually flying over head, but adrenaline, heart rate, noise, light, general confusion ALL will come into play. I personally have never had the "pleasure", and hope not to, but my hubby and his friends HAVE, and try to simulate this as best as (safely) possible in drills for those of us that have not. In other words- aim for body mass, shoot a LOT. (One of the "rules" of the USMC for gunfighting is: If it's worth killing, it's worth killing TWICE).

The reason I mention this is to demonstrate that the "Spetznaz" grip is MORE than adequite for this type/style of shooting in this mindset, and I've done quite well with it. Using this grip, the center of mass of the rifle is supported well, and there is less of a tendancy to "chicken wing" (I "rest" my forward elbow on the mags in my chest rig, and "exaggerate" the elbows in during training- train like you fight).

That said, lately I've been seriously considering the AFG option from Magpul. The reason is that I've been considering a folding stock for vehicular ops, as well as "tight" CQB, it seems to me the AFG would offer a more stable platform for this type of configuration, but really I think I would only use it with the stock folded. I'm still on the fence with this.

As to the Tapco tri rail, I don't know if you want to go that route... If you intend to send a lot of lead down range quickly, that is. I've read more than one post here about "catastrophic melting" of that product under such conditions, and that is NOT something you'd want to happen in combat conditions!

Basically, you have to ask yourself: What purpose am I building this rifle for? If it is a SHTF rifle (I suspect it is in your case), firstly: Excellent choice! There is no more reliable platform I have found for a "beginner", nor a more cost effective one. I routinely drag mine through any and all weather conditions, and she keeps running great! One lesson I've learned is NOT to compromise on cost vs. quality. I learned that the hard way, sort of. I have a UTG quad rail, which has served me well (In spite of BigSal constantly calling it inferior and cheap-hehe) and offers a reasonably priced ALUMINUM alternative to the Tapco product. Mine holds zero flawlessly, and has taken a beating and continued to function well. I'm nearly ready to move on to a different system, because I have grown as a shooter, have defined my needs more clearly, and I literally don't need or want three of the four rails. I'm "paying it forward" to my brother, who will mount it on his 7.62 (he switched from an AR to a Saiga after shooting mine- Talk about "reverse darkside"!) I think I saw a listing for a used UTG rail system here for like $35 a day or so ago- I'd jump on that if I were you, but it may be too late. Look in the "WTS" section, or put a "WTB/WTT" ad of your own up!

In closing, when money counts, I would prefer to buy solid, proven stuff that isn't going to break... Even if it runs a few more bones than you want. You really DO get what you pay for in my experience with these products- And like you've seen me say before: Your life may DEPEND on it someday.

Good luck, and hope I helped again.

Haha, thanks! =)

Yes, in my couple years of experience, I've always found myself wondering what the purpose of a vertical foregrip was. Seeing as when I used it, it made me more fatigued than if I used a traditional hold. Although with my current vertical grip, I tried the thumb break method taught by Magpul and I was pleasantly surprised at how it worked. That's why I've decided to go with an AFG.

I do plan on getting that UTG quad rail. You've completely sold me on it. I am so budgeted right now it's not even funny though. It looks like I'll get a quad rail, and then get the AFG as time allows. I'll post a WTB ad here, but if it doesn't get fulfilled I'll get it from amazon. ($70 shipped.)

Yeah, Tapco makes some good parts, but other parts just worry the crap out of me. I've shot my Saiga enough to know that after extended firing, it gets really, REALLY (Nuclear bomb, anyone?) hot and it smells like ammonia. So that's always worried me after I purchased the Tapco forearm. But hey, it's what I wanted at the time. Although lately I've really been noticing I've wasted money when I should have just done the conversion. Oh well. Tis life.

Thanks a lot for your help! =) It's much appreciated.

P.S. Do you like handguns?

"FS"- I don't really "like" handguns per se. I carry a S+W Sigma .40, but I truly believe (another Marine thing from the hubby) "The only reason to actually USE a sidearm is to fight my way back to the rifle I never should have put down in the first place". That said, I'm proficient in it's use, but not an afficianado. I feel confident in it's use in a pinch, but that's about it. I would never be competetive due to the trigger and DAO of the Sigma. It's just a Glock copy, but the pull really takes some getting used to. My husband carrys a SA 1911 that he inherited from his grandfather- 1942 manufacture according to serial numbers, and been to Iwo, Gaudal, and other "fun" places. He is an ARTIST with it. Shot me a "smiley face" on one of our first dates at something like 15 yards. I was in love almost instantly. That said, give me a Tomahawk and I'll eviscerate you six ways from sideways. I like up close and personal sometimes. Real lady like, huh?

Hope that answers your question.

Like I said, there was a UTG quad for sale here on the board within the past week you may be able to pick up on the cheap. I'd offer mine (once I'm setup with the Ultimak), but my brother's got dibs. Jury's still out on that one.

It's almost shooting time! We're headed to our friend's range for a family day, lots of rounds and BBQ!

Edited by bohound

"FS"- I don't really "like" handguns per se. I carry a S+W Sigma .40, but I truly believe (another Marine thing from the hubby) "The only reason to actually USE a sidearm is to fight my way back to the rifle I never should have put down in the first place". That said, I'm proficient in it's use, but not an afficianado. I feel confident in it's use in a pinch, but that's about it. I would never be competetive due to the trigger and DAO of the Sigma. It's just a Glock copy, but the pull really takes some getting used to.

Hope that answers your question.

Like I said, there was a UTG quad for sale here on the board within the past week you may be able to pick up on the cheap. I'd offer mine (once I'm setup with the Ultimak), but my brother's got dibs. Jury's still out on that one.

It's almost shooting time! We're headed to our friend's range for a family day, lots of rounds and BBQ!

Mmm, okay. I love handguns.

Yeah, it was sold. Can I post a WTB ad without being a contributor?

Also, you really recommend the UTG quad rail? Is there anything I should know about? Is it secure?

Like I said... I am happy with my UTG... Enough that I think it's functional. I would recommend Loctite on it, and using a 12 or 20 guage brush to clean the gas tube when needed. I have only taken it off once, but I'm still trying to find the "fail" point of my rifle, so I don't find it if/when it matters.

I suppose you could call that a recommendation.

As far as the "contributor" question... Don't know if you have to be one to post "WTB". I have seen people put such things in their sig line that were not... It's cheating and I don't recommend it, but that is how I got some of my parts (from people that did so). I think I would just try and see what happens posting a "WTB".

Good luck!

Like I said... I am happy with my UTG... Enough that I think it's functional. I would recommend Loctite on it, and using a 12 or 20 guage brush to clean the gas tube when needed. I have only taken it off once, but I'm still trying to find the "fail" point of my rifle, so I don't find it if/when it matters.

I suppose you could call that a recommendation.

As far as the "contributor" question... Don't know if you have to be one to post "WTB". I have seen people put such things in their sig line that were not... It's cheating and I don't recommend it, but that is how I got some of my parts (from people that did so). I think I would just try and see what happens posting a "WTB".

Good luck!

Yes, I've been looking around and it looks like everyone I've seen that has the UTG is happy with it. I realize it's not the highest quality and it has it's problems. But it looks sweet, works well, and is a whole lot better than the stock forearm (IMHO).

Yeah, I posted in there... Let's see what happens. :devil:

Hey, I am going to be purchasing a forward grip for Tapco tri-rail. I've been leaning toward the Magpul AFG, but I was wondering if it's worth the extra 20 bucks. I could get a grip from EMA for 15, or the AFG for 40. In terms of comfort, ergonomics, the thumb break method, is it really worth it to go with the AFG?

Thanks for your input.

It all depends on how you use a VFG. If you're the "full fist it" type guy, then an AFG probably isn't for you. I can't personally "full fist" a VFG and shoot comfortably. So it's really only a question you can answer for yourself. Everyone has a different way of shooting.

I'll post a pic of how I shoot. I could easily transition into using an AFG (and I might, at least for the S12, it'd be perfect for not getting in the way of the rock-n-lock mag insertion).

(BTW, AIM Surplus has AFG's for $33 and free shipping)

post-5916-12746153893129_thumb.jpg