Hi fellas,

I have a very nice custom remington 700 police .308 that is beautiful and shoots great.

I regularly get between .50-.75 moa at 100 yards with her benchrest with match grade ammo(black hills 168g bthp). The problem is I really

want an M1A. Either the scout squad or a standard. I love the way they feel and shoot plus the sights are the best of any rifle

in my opinion. It just speaks to me.

The problem is I dont have an extra $1400 for one so Ill have to trade in my beloved remmy. These are not cheap at

all. That and mags are like $50 a pop.

Im really on the fence about it. Trade in a sub moa sniper rifle for a 2moa semi auto battle rifle. Anybody have an M1A

that loves it?

Damn I put renington lol

Edited by saigalupo

Go for the M1A. Don't think they're 2MOA either. A match grade M1A is a sub MOA rifle.

If you decide you also want a super-accurate boltgun, you can always get a Savage Tactical later.

Edited by patriot

Go for the M1A. Don't think they're 2MOA either. A match grade M1A is a sub MOA rifle.

If you decide you also want a super-accurate boltgun, you can always get a Savage Tactical later.

In the back of my mind thats what I wanted to hear lol. The match grade M1As are pushing $2000

so my only options are the Scout for $1400 or the standard for $1300. Im getting $1300 trade in

for my remmy minus the scope.

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a tack driver you already have it and there is always room for improvment. If you want something that is less accurate but has higher capcity (detachable box mag) and semi auto capability then go with the M1A.

M1A irons are quite nice with only about a 1" offset from the bore of the barrel to the sight. Much better compared to the AR15, AK, FAL etc... New M1A's do have investment cast receivers if that means anything to you.

Edited by raidersfan_5544

I've got 3 M1As, a scout, a SOCOM III and a NM - love them all. Just obtained a Savage Mod 10 tactical this weekend. Keep the Remmy, save for the M1A.

You lucky bastard lol. Which one is your fav? Hows the scout shoot?

The scout shoots very well, closer to the NM than the SOCOM. I was surpised at how well it shoots and I prefer its balance to all three.

DCP04684.jpg?t=1274670345

Wow all very beautiful rifles. Im leaning towards a scout myself.

"I've got 3 M1As, a scout, a SOCOM III and a NM "

Whats the diff between the socom 16 and your socom III(never heard of it)

I think the only diff is that the one has a big huge heavy four sided unnecessary vltor rail.

I've never seen a sub-moa M1A. I think they're cool, but way overrated personally. Didn't they quit making the 700p? Might want to hang on to that bad boy. With some handloaded Lapua Scenars you could probably get that down to .25". JMO

Shane

"I think the only diff is that the one has a big huge heavy four sided unnecessary vltor rail."

Thats the Socom II the Socom 16 is without the rail(my brother has one). I have never heard of a Socom III? I tried to google it but I think he is mistaken. Are you sure you own 3 LOL :haha:

Edited by raidersfan_5544

"I think the only diff is that the one has a big huge heavy four sided unnecessary vltor rail."

Thats the Socom II the Socom 16 is without the rail(my brother has one). I have never heard of a Socom III? I tried to google it but I think he is mistaken. Are you sure you own 3 LOL naaaa.gif

It's a SOCOM II, (I got one version ahead)028.gif . The SOCOM 16 has a short forward scope rail on the barrel chamber, the SOCOM II came with a great big 4-sided perforated 4-rail BOX that covered the whole forend. I took that piece of garbage off right away. Put on a black synthetic upper handguard, a gen-2 receiver mount and the Nikon red dot. Can still use the irons under the dot/mount.

Just wondering, couldn't you just have bought the socom 16 and added the gen 2 receiver mount since they are cheaper? Instead of getting the socom II and removing the rail and adding the mount.

I wanted a SOCOM 16, couldn't find one - the SOCOM II came along and it was the only one to come through the local gunstore in months with no idea of when another one of any flavor would come through again. I traded the "box" for some ammo for my .50 BMG at a gun show, and it worked out better because you can't use the irons or even co-witness on the SOCOM 16 if you put anything on that barrel breech rail.

• 1 month later...

I've never seen a sub-moa M1A. I think they're cool, but way overrated personally. Didn't they quit making the 700p? Might want to hang on to that bad boy. With some handloaded Lapua Scenars you could probably get that down to .25". JMO

Shane

I have an M1A Loaded model that I've done a bit of work to. It is a superb rifle.

Just about ANY M1A is sub-MOA capable, but not out of the box. It isn't terribly hard, or expensive to do; you can do most of the work yourself.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

That article describes how to get a Scout to a sub-MOA shooter. It mostly applies to the other Springfield models, except that some models have NM barrels and trigger groups and don't need work in that area as much - but generally they still benefit - the results just won't be as startling as given in the article.

My M1A shoots about 1.5-2 MOA with irons when using real NATO milsurp ammo depending on the batch. i.e. if it has a NATO cross stamped on it, this rifle loves it - the South African crap, not so much. But usually I don't shoot for precision like that. I usually open up with 5 rounds strings in just less than 3 seconds.. and I get 2.8 - 3 MOA all day long. As the barrel and receiver get real hot, I start getting first round flyers after a delayed mag change. But after that one round it's back up to temp - and its all groovy again.

I know of NO other rifle that can do that with surplus ammo. When I spend a few bucks and feed her a 5 star meal, and shoot with an optic, she reciprocates with sub-MOA groups (.7 or so pretty consistently). My 5 round strings don't shrink as much.. but thats me not being right back on POA after coming out of the recoil.

Looking at my sheet, I've got 950 rounds through it w/o a cleaning. My last time to the range was business as usual - great groups, and the only time I've ever had a cycling failure is with a handful of crappy mags I bought. Lesson learned. I buy Springfield and GI mags now.

I love this rifle. It will be with me until I die.

I'll probably never own a bolt gun (too many interesting semi's to get), but if you really like your remmy - don't sell it. No matter how good your M1A is, you'll miss something about the 700.