lower rail for Saiga 7.62

Who makes a quality lower rail that will extend to the gas block besides UltiMak that will attach to a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle? I would rather give $150 to Chaos or someone than $220 to UltiMak for basically the same thing.

cheers

tire iron

I don't necessarily want a big rail - just a longer rail. I shoot with my support hand out quite a ways on the fore-end - and the OEM hand guard is too short.

I have an UltiMak upper rail that I have attached an Aimpoint to - and want a "rigid" lower rail that won't bend/flex/melt that goes out to the gas block.

Thank you for taking the time to reply - but it looks like I am still hunting for a solution.

cheers

tire iron

Are you wanting it to extend past the gast block, close to the gas block or right up to it?

Have you looked at the UTG ones?

I think I have an idea of what you mean, but just making sure.

Also I have the surefire handgaurd linked and really like it. I tried 3 before I settled on it. The dph ones are very sturdy and well built, but it was a bit more weight than I wanted.

Right about at the gas block. Currently my support "trigger finger" sort of curls around the bayonet lug (not for very long though - it gets too hot - even with nomex gloves on! LOL).

Is the Surefire forearm sturdy enough for "rough use" and will it take some heat without melting? I run my gun pretty dang hard - so I need something that will last - AND - like you I don't want it to weigh a ton either.

Thanks for your time,

cheers

tire iron

The surefire is built with a heat shield and I have had not melting. I run my run like a beast too. 021.gif Melted the first hadguard(tapco) I had off, or shall I say to my gun.

The only thing about the surefire Hg(although not a huge issue, but I wish it did have a little more support.) is that the front end attaches like the factory HG does by sliding on. I found that under rapid fire it would start to wiggle loose from the screw that attaches the HG to the reciever. I fixed this by using some locktight. But after taking it on and off many times it does have a slight wiggle on the front where it attaches. I havnt seen this being an issue and it shows no signs of damage.

I wish it had some kind of extra support screw or some thing in the front. But like I said, I dont see it being an issue, im just ocd.unsure.gif

I used the dph HG for a little bit but didnt like the extra wieght. Although it is very sturdy and well built. I see it being able to take a ton of abuse if you dont mind the extra weight. The other issue with the DPH HG I didnt like is the fact that it took way too long to get it on and off. It attaches with about 6 or so screws that require an allen wrench.

I pefer to be able to get my HG on and off in a few seconds and at the same time some thing that will not melt off. I also like to keep the weight down. Well I found this to limit my options to very few. The surefire is the best I have been able to find that comes remotely close to what I wanted.

I havent used the UTG HGs but you might take a look at those too, or try and find someone that has used it.

Anyhow, not saying you should just go out right now and get the surefire(deff sleep on it, look around and find what you want). But I hope it helps you find something without the frustration of going threw 3-4 Hgs like I did before you find one you like.

this is a tough one for me as i like the OEM style but didn't want it to melt during fun blasting. i picked up a used UTG but man is it bulky. I have gotten used to it and it does seem to be sturdy. I am looking to get some FOREARM RAIL GUARDS 4 PACK SET- BLACK LADDER TYPE

instead of the UTG protectors. The unit seemed to be lighter without the UTG protectors on it. I don't see myself hanging to much crap of the handgaurd but i just don't want the thing to melt or get so hot i can't hold on to it. I ate having to go through several different hand guards to find one that will me all my needs so this one seemed to fit the bill for now.

Chevyman097,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you and I have similar wants in a forearm for our Saiga's. On your recommendation - I will probably go with the Surefire grip and lock-tight it in from the beginning - AND the fact that there really doesn't seem to be anything else out there besides the Surefire that will meet my needs besides the $220 UltiMak lower or the too heavy DPH.

leadslinger,

Yeah - the UTG is too bulky for me too - and too short. Thanks for the post.

cheers

tire iron

I had the same dilemma as you, and I settled on the Ultimak. I didn't pay list and buy it new, I trolled riverofguns constantly, and ended up with a slightly used one for $150 shipped. Keep an eye out for bargains!

Just got those rail ladder protectors in today. Man CSS is on top of their game 2 days from order to door. Have to give them credit for great service.

I think i may like this UTG after all (jury still out) look at how slim this is now. Feels pretty nice in your hands as well.

Added a pic of my extended safety lever and BHO mod to keep it from hitting my finger during shooting. I just pushed it up into lock position marked then used a dremel to take it down. Next i angled it back as far as i could without destroying it's structural integrity or functionality. polished smooth no rough edges.

post-7194-12750017825331_thumb.jpg

Edited by leadslinger