Love these rifles but the prices are through the roof. Was hoping at finding some today at Tampa gun show, only one dealer had any and he wanted 750.00 thats just too steep for my wallet. I'll keep looking.

That stealer dealer was trying to catch someone who missed the SGL-20 sale time frame of from $629 to $700, as was the prices I paid for my two. the $629 came with just a thread protector, that knocked off $70. But still $750 was this guy testing the buying waters of the show going AK buyers. :killer:

Love these rifles but the prices are through the roof. Was hoping at finding some today at Tampa gun show, only one dealer had any and he wanted 750.00 thats just too steep for my wallet. I'll keep looking.

That stealer dealer was trying to catch someone who missed the SGL-20 sale time frame of from $629 to $700, as was the prices I paid for my two. the $629 came with just a thread protector, that knocked off $70. But still $750 was this guy testing the buying waters of the show going AK buyers. :killer:

I agree, I had a Maadi with me so he was possibly jacking the price up a bit worrying about a trade, cause he said it's an AR market, everyone is trying to dump there AK's, to which I replied I wished I never sold my SA-93, MAK90 or my Maadi 20" and that I've missed them ever since and the worst part was I traded the SA-93 for a Bushmaster hunk of crap!

I agree, I had a Maadi with me so he was possibly jacking the price up a bit worrying about a trade, cause he said it's an AR market, everyone is trying to dump there AK's, to which I replied I wished I never sold my SA-93, MAK90 or my Maadi 20" and that I've missed them ever since and the worst part was I traded the SA-93 for a Bushmaster hunk of crap!

Well I don't think many are dumping their AKs to buy the really overpriced and failure prone ARs. That is funny. Fact is the price on 5.56/.223 Ammo. is causing many just like me to park my ARs, and buy AKs.

Even at the much higher prices some AKs are bringing today, their still much cheaper then ARs and when you factor in the cost of Ammo. They are a steal. :lolol:

Even at the much higher prices some AKs are bringing today, their still much cheaper then ARs and when you factor in the cost of Ammo. They are a steal. :lolol:

Actually, surprisingly enough, commercial Russian 7.62x39 mm and .223 ammo are about the same price right now. So, this is no longer a factor, unless you are willing to shoot corrosive surplus.

$750 is high, but not too ridiculous considering some of the inflated prices I've seen at gun shows (like $700 WASR's). I bought one when they first came out for $800 (DOH!), but then I got another last year for $500. I guess an average price paid of $650 ain't too bad.

$750 is high, but not too ridiculous considering some of the inflated prices I've seen at gun shows (like $700 WASR's). I bought one when they first came out for $800 (DOH!), but then I got another last year for $500. I guess an average price paid of $650 ain't too bad.

For less than $750 (including shipping & FFL transfer fee), you can get a brand new SGL21, which is a slightly more authentic Russian rifle, because it has the proper Russian made AK-103 FSB, the grenade launcher lug and the correct AK-103 dust cover. SGL20 has a Bulgarian AK-74 FSB, no accessory lug and the standard civilian Saiga gas cover. Mine was one of the early ones and had a pretty bad glossy finish (the paint on the barrel would bubble from the heat) and a very loose, East German selector lever.

For less than $750 (including shipping & FFL transfer fee), you can get a brand new SGL21, which is a slightly more authentic Russian rifle, because it has the proper Russian made AK-103 FSB, the grenade launcher lug and the correct AK-103 dust cover. SGL20 has a Bulgarian AK-74 FSB, no accessory lug and the standard civilian Saiga gas cover. Mine was one of the early ones and had a pretty bad glossy finish (the paint on the barrel would bubble from the heat) and a very loose, East German selector lever.

You far wrong about the SGL-20 FSB being a a Bulgarian AK-74 and the standard civilian SAIGA gas cover. :osama:

When I was shoping for my Saiga I found one in a gunshop I had never been to before in a city nearby, the jerks wanted $700 for it, a stock Saiga. I told them it was at best a $350 rifle and they looked at me like I was stupid, said they sold some for $750 but would take a little less for this one. I got pissed and left, I'll never go back, jerks.

Same Spikester, I know the feeling with how some of these local shops can get. One of them STILL has Saigas at $549. Not 12's and 308's mind you, .223's and and x39s. I have no clue if they are actually selling these or not, but have a bad feeling people don't know these guns are down in the $300's again and are buying them from that shop :(

You far wrong about the SGL-20 FSB being a a Bulgarian AK-74 and the standard civilian SAIGA gas cover. :osama:

The one that I owned and all of the ones that I have seen, have been that way. Perhaps, the newer ones are different?

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

The one that I owned and all of the ones that I have seen, have been that way. Perhaps, the newer ones are different?

I would like to see a picture of the items the FSB&dust cover with markings to show how they differ.

I would like to see a picture of the items the FSB&dust cover with markings to show how they differ.

I can't post close-up comparison shots, because I sold my SGL20, after I got my SGL21 in the Winter. Here's a great, thorough post that I found on the differences between SGL20 and SGL21 though: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=48623&view=findpost&p=452311

SpetsnazGRU is right about the difference between the 20 and the 21. I have one of each. My finish wasn't too bag on my 20, but the selector lever was loose. The finish on the 21 still looks nicer, and was much more matte looking. You don't need to get really close up to see the markings on the FSB, as you can see they are different blocks just my looking at them. The Bulgy one has an indentation under the space below the windage drum and the Russian one does not. Also, the Bulgy FH fits looser on the Russian ones. There is no need to look for markings on the top cover either. The Russian top cover has a ridge around the bottom and the Bulgy does not.

SpetsnazGRU is right about the difference between the 20 and the 21. I have one of each. My finish wasn't too bag on my 20, but the selector lever was loose. The finish on the 21 still looks nicer, and was much more matte looking. You don't need to get really close up to see the markings on the FSB, as you can see they are different blocks just my looking at them. The Bulgy one has an indentation under the space below the windage drum and the Russian one does not. Also, the Bulgy FH fits looser on the Russian ones. There is no need to look for markings on the top cover either. The Russian top cover has a ridge around the bottom and the Bulgy does not.

All I can add is I have two SGL-20s and both have IMHO good AK standard finish's both no markings below their FSB windage drums, both have tight selector levers. As for the dust covers they are tight fitting I have no idea what this ridge is or if it really matters.

MyselfI would not pay and extra $150 for the SGL-21 if it had been offered, when I bought my SGL-20s.

All I can add is I have two SGL-20s and both have IMHO good AK standard finish's both no markings below their FSB windage drums, both have tight selector levers. As for the dust covers they are tight fitting I have no idea what this ridge is or if it really matters.

MyselfI would not pay and extra $150 for the SGL-21 if it had been offered, when I bought my SGL-20s.

My SGL-20 finish is a good standard finish as well- no bubbling or flaking. However, comparing it to my 21, the 20 is definitely golossier. Everything else fit fine except the selector lever (which wasn't necessarily because it was a 20). The SGL-21's do use a different FSB and dust cover, and have an accessory lug, but they don't really make a difference in the function of the weapon (unless you have a 'nade launcher). I actually prefer the Bulgy FSB, because the FH fits better on it. I agree with you, I wouldn't pay more just to have what the 21 offers. I actually got my 21 for $500 when they were on sale, and my 20 for $800 when they first came out.

My SGL-20 finish is a good standard finish as well- no bubbling or flaking. However, comparing it to my 21, the 20 is definitely golossier. Everything else fit fine except the selector lever (which wasn't necessarily because it was a 20). The SGL-21's do use a different FSB and dust cover, and have an accessory lug, but they don't really make a difference in the function of the weapon (unless you have a 'nade launcher). I actually prefer the Bulgy FSB, because the FH fits better on it. I agree with you, I wouldn't pay more just to have what the 21 offers. I actually got my 21 for $500 when they were on sale, and my 20 for $800 when they first came out.

Many may have had to pay a little more for their AKs, but they have not been shafted as badly as the suckers buying their ARs at local their shops and firearm shows. :sadam:

I bought my SGL20 during the height of Obama scare and it was $1100 at a local shop. It was an early build, that didn't even come with a muzzle break, but a simple muzzle nut instead. It came with a 10 rd mag, but they threw in a 30 rd Circle Ten, as well. I did get a good trade-in deal for my sporter Saiga 7.62x39 mm though. They gave me $350 off for that, which was what I paid for it and another $350 off for my Sig SP2022. At that time, they were selling new Saiga 7.62x39s for $550. LOL.

I had to spend more money on a K-Var break for that SGL20. It had a glossy, uneven finish that bubbled when the barrel got hot, the selector lever was very loose and there was a gap between it and the dust cover. Also, the dust cover, didn't quite fit and set too low and was a little rattly, like it was too big for this rifle. I had to spend more money to replace the selector lever and the dust cover. The rifle shot and worked well though. It was a bit more accurate than by old sporter.

Any way, when the $500 SGL21 deal came up, I jumped all over that and go me one of those. It had a much nicer fit and finish "out-of-the-box" and was even more accurate. I sold the SGL20 for $525 a few weeks later. I didn't really need two similar looking AKs using the same caliber.

Oh yeah, that shop still has a couple of SGL20s sitting around for $1000. LOL.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I bought my SGL20 during the height of Obama scare and it was $1100 at a local shop. It was an early build, that didn't even come with a muzzle break, but a simple muzzle nut instead. It came with a 10 rd mag, but they threw in a 30 rd Circle Ten, as well. I did get a good trade-in deal for my sporter Saiga 7.62x39 mm though. They gave me $350 off for that, which was what I paid for it and another $350 off for my Sig SP2022. At that time, they were selling new Saiga 7.62x39s for $550. LOL.

I had to spend more money on a K-Var break for that SGL20. It had a glossy, uneven finish that bubbled when the barrel got hot, the selector lever was very loose and there was a gap between it and the dust cover. Also, the dust cover, didn't quite fit and set too low and was a little rattly, like it was too big for this rifle. I had to spend more money to replace the selector lever and the dust cover. The rifle shot and worked well though. It was a bit more accurate than by old sporter.

Any way, when the $500 SGL21 deal came up, I jumped all over that and go me one of those. It had a much nicer fit and finish "out-of-the-box" and was even more accurate. I sold the SGL20 for $525 a few weeks later. I didn't really need two similar looking AKs using the same caliber.

Oh yeah, that shop still has a couple of SGL20s sitting around for $1000. LOL.

The second SGL-20 I bought a plumb came with just a bbl.thread protector. Paid $630 for it then had to pay $70 from K-Var for a 74 type break. So I paid $700 for my second SGL-20. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Ive been told to get an SGL but for 780, thats alil too expensive for me. I just got a sporter that was converted and worked on by CGW. They welded and refinished the holes and installed the bullet guide which i was kindof unsure about doing myself. Herd of people braking taps off in the receiver which is more trouble than im willing to deal with for the time being. I spent 680 for my converted x39 shipped and transferred, but I figure with all the work and accessories on it I find it to be quite a fair deal. especially since im one of those suckers who fell for the $1450 AR price from a local dealer. Kick myself in the ass alot when Ive pretty much built another for 600. I also bought my S12 for $830. people are probably laughing at me. I really hate that dealer and am no longer giving my money to them. They tried to recently sell me an SGL for $1000 and bad mouthed every online dealer because it wasn't them I wanted to buy from. I gave them a happy lil pfffft! Owell, Ive gotten alot of good info from this thread and am learning little by little. Maybe one day I find a good deal on a SGL of some sort. but for now ive learned my lesson.

Edited by AZG

~$780 for a SGL21? :huh:Atlantic sells em for ~$689.

Ooops, I need to get my facts straight. I was looking on the kvar website and SGL-21s are only $699.00. I ment to say that SLR107 are $859 which is kindof what I would want but my I am a poor dumb bastard so. Thanks for the tip though, Ill check them out.