For the love of FTE

Hey I would look at it as more of an excuse to use your tools. I just enjoy working on stuff like that. To me building it is at least as much fun as shooting it.

damn right, ive already got this beast stripped down. thats exactly what i was considering doing. stopping the weld from creeping in the bore is gonna be a pain, but tottaly doable. this time im gonna wear shoes while i weld. stupid slag... stupid gravity...

Find or turn down a piece of brass the same size as the bore and place it where you are welding. This will stop the weld from getting into the bore. When you are done just tap it out. Good luck.

i really wish a had a lathe for that. i dont see a way i could get something made out of brass. crap. ill figure something out. ball of aluminum foil maybe. press it through the bore though the back so it pushes up into the void caused by the previous genius owner. the slag should burn away the aluminum, but not fast enough to reach the bore. but first... i need the damn gas block off. stupid matco guy needs an emergency contact number, lol.

i really wish a had a lathe for that. i dont see a way i could get something made out of brass. crap. ill figure something out. ball of aluminum foil maybe. press it through the bore though the back so it pushes up into the void caused by the previous genius owner. the slag should burn away the aluminum, but not fast enough to reach the bore. but first... i need the damn gas block off. stupid matco guy needs an emergency contact number, lol.

The pins drive out from left to right. Wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

On the brass, I know it would be a crude method, but what about emptying a shell with a brass base, trimming the flange off, and cutting the circumference of it so it will collapse? It wouldn't be as good a solid brass, but it would possibly provide enough of a barrier to get the job done. Just a thought....

The pins drive out from left to right. Wasn't sure if you knew that or not.

On the brass, I know it would be a crude method, but what about emptying a shell with a brass base, trimming the flange off, and cutting the circumference of it so it will collapse? It wouldn't be as good a solid brass, but it would possibly provide enough of a barrier to get the job done. Just a thought....

oh man, awesome idea. ill do that. yeh, ive got em out about 1/8th of an inch. broke two punches now. those things are in there like a son of a bitch

If you have a 20 ga shell laying around somewhere, it would be easier to get to fit the actual bore. You would just need to add some shimming to the opposite side with good ol duct tape...and grind down the rim of course.

Before you take off the GB it's also a good idea to put a small center punch mark on the back of it right in the bottom center, with a matching one there on the barrel. Then you can get it back on exactly where it is now...assuming it's not canted.

rigged up a 12ga high brass... brass... itll do just fine. as soon as i get this block up and off. took a pipe cutter and popped the base and primer off, then a pair of tin snips up the side. put some filler (duct tape) in the middle to add some outward pressure. good to go :D i feel alot better about this way than using a balled up piece of aluminum foil, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

i broke my damn 3/32 punch trying to get the gas block off... didnt even budge the pin either. are these rivets? /rage. oh well, calling matco guy to come give me a new punch, mwahaha

Brownells sells a very nice three piece set of "starter punches". They are short (1/2") hardened steel tips in round knurled holders made to start pins out of tight places like our Saiga gas blocks. I moved my gas block enough to send the tube to be reworked at Brians business "Dinzag Arms". When the parts came in I started fitting the upper and lower handguards and thought to myself "gee Brian, you made these too short". I had forgotten to drive the gas block back where it belonged. After driving it back with my dead blow hammer I learned it had twisted a bit. What a pain in the a&&. Go to the torch and warm up the gas block so I can turn it straight so the pins will go back in and voila!! Success. I too have ejection problems with my 1oz reloads over 18gr of red dot in AA cases. too wimpy to drive the carrier back far enough fast enough. I'll load some 3 and a quarter dram loads tonight and try it again. Herco to the rescue.