excessive bolt slam

So I took my saiga out this weekend with a new batch of federal xm193. I fired a bit of left over wolf with it, slight recoil then fired off the xm193. I have never expericenced the senation of the bolt slamming into the rear of the reciever with such force on any .223/5.56 weapon. Has me slightly worried. Function was perfect, accuracy was very good but im wondering how big the gas port is on this thing is and if I need to try an extra power spring or even perhaps a vented gas tube (if that would even do anything). I dont feel the weapon is unsafe with this ammo, just seems like its gonna have a shorter life span with it slamming into the receiver like it is. It also chewed up the brass real good. Of course easy solution would be just dont shoot hotter ammo but I just bought a hole bunch of this stuff and it groups so well.

Any thoughts on this out there?

install a recoil buffer from BUFFER TECHNOLOGIES they cost about $15. cheap insurance to eliminate metal to metal contact at the receiver rear . check the inside lip of the extractor for rough areas / burrs ive seen that happen to a rifle that was fed a diet of steel cased ammo before.

Install a +15% AK spring. The military loads of ammo push with more force. I haven't installed one yet, but the same happened to me. Shooting Brown/Silver Bear is fine. Shot some SS109 and was like whoa baby. . . The spring needs to be stiffer.

Install a +15% AK spring. The military loads of ammo push with more force. I haven't installed one yet, but the same happened to me. Shooting Brown/Silver Bear is fine. Shot some SS109 and was like whoa baby. . . The spring needs to be stiffer.

I ordered a wolf extra stregth recoil spring and a buffer last night, we will see how much it helps. Im thinking the gas port is over sized, but theres no easy fix for this. Still wondering if a vented gas tube would help bleed off excess gas. My thinking is probably not, after all the piston and bolt carrier are already on their merry way to smashing into the rear receiver block.

I am interested in opinions about recoil buffers. With my current issues firing hotter ammo it seems to me that a buffer being struck with such force would simply contract, pushing outward on the receiver. So it seems to me that this could cause increased wear on both the reciever and loosen up the rivets at a faster rate than just letting it slam away.

oh... well, if you ever do a complete conversion to a 74 style gas block and front sight block, you'll get vents and they should help some, and the extra power spring should do you good. the vents are two holes per side where the gas tube meets the gas block.

i don't agree with not using the better ammo, the 55gr 556 shoots so damn well, it'd be like making a sprinter run a race on a sprained ankle.... he might still be fast, but not his full self....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

trust me.... u DONT want to use the buffer... shortens the travel distance and actually causes more harm than good. the extra power spring is a great idea though.

doesn't your gas block have vents?

don't use them but interested in what kinds of issues they may or have caused? always good to pick up new info.

thanks in advance

don't use them but interested in what kinds of issues they may or have caused? always good to pick up new info.thanks in advance

- I have a buffer in my 7.62 and I like it. I shortens the stroke/length of travel for the bolt carrier and makes the rate of fire faster. Everything feels "tighter."

I don't think there are any issues with this. Most seem largely immaginary. I got one with a new spring (not + or -, just regular) and together it runs like butter. That's 7.62 though, maybe the .223 is differnt.