New FSB and gas block

I want to make use of my cleaning rod when I finally get around to my conversion, so my questions are: Are FSBs considered countable parts in any way? How about gas blocks? How difficult is it to install these?

I plan on doing the same thing to my gun in the not too distant future. FSBs, from my understanding, are not hard to change. It is not a countable part, either, however, the thing you end up attaching to it is countable (brakes, flash hiders, suppressors, etc.). There's a thread in the 5.45 section that has a tutorial on changing the FSB; here's the link: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=53873. The gas block, though, I'm not too sure about, so I'll wait for someone else to respond and find out from them. ;)

Yeah, I'm aware of attachments counting, just wanted to make sure FSBs and GBs don't count. I read somewhere that you should have a "professional" install the new FSB, but I've restored two mustangs, built my own guitar, built a robot for my robotics class in high school, and much much more, so I'm pretty sure this is in my league. Any idea where to get a decent FSB for a cheap price?

I did the "complete" conversion/restoration on my 7.62x39 saiga.

here are a few pics ...I had the press welded FSB and GB so I had to partialy drill these to press them off, on the older saigas you can just knock the pins out and press off.

I also use engine assm. lube for my lubricant while pressing anything on.

003-18.jpg

005-6.jpg

006-8.jpg

006-10.jpg

007-6.jpg

008-4.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 1

they are Bulgarian 74 parts I paid around $75 for the FSB GB and HG retainer. I found them on theAKforum good thing is they fit the barrel without modification...they pressed right on.

and my 09 saiga had the HG retainer slots already milled into the barrel, so all I had to do was machine a little for the HG ret. lock. after I had the FSB and GB installed I used a 3mm drill bit to drill for the pins that came with the 74 parts I bought.

be careful drilling the press welds on the saiga FSB and GB...I used a 1/4" bit and just took some material off without drilling into the barrel.

I am an experienced builder and it took me about an hour with my knowledge and tooling. the whole conversion took me about two days start to finish.

I actually pulled the barrel, riveted a bullet guide, welded all the unnecessary holes, sand blasted, and duracoated the entire rifle.

001-3.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-3.jpg

Very nice, I hope I can get a good as deal as you can on the Bulgarian 74 parts. I was originally looking at Romanian, but since you say these fit with no mods needed, I'll be considering this route instead. You said something about the HG ret. lock, what did you have to do for that?

I had to remove some material to allow the lock to rotate into the locked position...I started with a dremel to get it started and finished with a 3/16 bit in my hand drill using it as a rasp to cut the channel. sorry I have no pics of that. also when you remove your FSB you may find it is threaded 14x1LH like I did... the Bulgarian 74 FSB will cover this completely when installed. I also had to buy a 24mm 74 style 7.62x39 Brake. a 74 brake will work but the 30 cal. bullet will probably hit on the way out. causing problems.

I just thought of something, if I only replace my FSB to facilitate my bayonet placing and to hold my cleaning rod, I shouldn't have to mess around with getting a new gas block. I've seen some pictures in the "Show pictures" thread of the weapon having a different FSB, but the gas block looks to be the original.

I just thought of something, if I only replace my FSB to facilitate my bayonet placing and to hold my cleaning rod, I shouldn't have to mess around with getting a new gas block. I've seen some pictures in the "Show pictures" thread of the weapon having a different FSB, but the gas block looks to be the original.

I just made a post about that as that is how I did it.

So besides the option of getting the same FSB that re-model used, what are my other options? The threaded end just seems too big for my taste, or is that my only option? I'm also concerned by the possibility he mentioned of the bullet hitting on the way out.

So besides the option of getting the same FSB that re-model used, what are my other options? The threaded end just seems too big for my taste, or is that my only option? I'm also concerned by the possibility he mentioned of the bullet hitting on the way out.

You will come around to liking that big threaded end.

If you want to mount a bayonet, you'll get the big threaded 74 FSB and put a muzzle device on it.

The bullet would hit the muzzle brake if the brake was made for the smaller round. This isn't the FSB we're talking about.

Your other option is to buy a Bulgarian 74 Flash Hider. You can find one that is US Made at One Source Tactical.

Or you could buy the K-var muzzle brake which is reamed out to allow 7.62x39 bullet to pass freely.

Oh, that makes more sense. From having read what he was saying, it was a bit difficult for me to make sense of it, but now I see what you're saying. So I guess the Bulg 74 FSB with some type of muzzle brake is the way to go after all. Has anyone actually restored a saiga with the conventional slanted muzzle brake, sort of like the wasr?

I'm sure someone has, Vai. That's probably the easiest route if you happen to have a factory threaded barrel. All you have to do is circumcise cut the shroud on the stock FSB, and if it's all ready threaded those are the proper thread for the slant brake, so all you have to do is buy one and slap it on.

Oh, that makes more sense. From having read what he was saying, it was a bit difficult for me to make sense of it, but now I see what you're saying. So I guess the Bulg 74 FSB with some type of muzzle brake is the way to go after all. Has anyone actually restored a saiga with the conventional slanted muzzle brake, sort of like the wasr?

I had a slant brake on mine and removed it to install a 24mm muzzle brake like the poster above (who has excellent photos, btw). There is absolutely no comparison in recoild reduction, the 24mm AK74 brake wins hands down. I could not even tell a noticeable difference in recoil with the slant brake. If you are looking for function do the entire block swap. If you want it more for style and want the older AK look then go with the slant brake.

I'm sure someone has, Vai. That's probably the easiest route if you happen to have a factory threaded barrel. All you have to do is circumcise cut the shroud on the stock FSB, and if it's all ready threaded those are the proper thread for the slant brake, so all you have to do is buy one and slap it on.

Lol at the circumcise, hahaha, but I do want to mount a bayonet, and if I'm gonna go through all that work, may as well replace the FSB altogether, because I do want to be able to mount the cleaning rod on it.

I had a slant brake on mine and removed it to install a 24mm muzzle brake like the poster above (who has excellent photos, btw). There is absolutely no comparison in recoild reduction, the 24mm AK74 brake wins hands down. I could not even tell a noticeable difference in recoil with the slant brake. If you are looking for function do the entire block swap. If you want it more for style and want the older AK look then go with the slant brake.

Well, in this case, I do want function so I'll go with the 74 brake. Now I just need to research where I can get one for the best price.

Lol at the circumcise, hahaha, but I do want to mount a bayonet, and if I'm gonna go through all that work, may as well replace the FSB altogether, because I do want to be able to mount the cleaning rod on it.

Well, in this case, I do want function so I'll go with the 74 brake. Now I just need to research where I can get one for the best price.

Let me know if/when you find one, Vai. I'm also in the market for one in the 7.62 caliber.

Let me know if/when you find one, Vai. I'm also in the market for one in the 7.62 caliber.

Will do, good sir. I've been lazy on looking, but when I have some free time later today as I start finalizing some online orders I'd like to make, I'll search it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Guy, hopefully I'm not threadjacking any of you. Did my 5.45 conversion last night and had trouble installing the Bulgarian FSB (w/bayo lug). We had a block of wood on top of the FSB and pounded it down that way. We couldn't get the FSB down the last quarter inch. It just wouldn't move no matter how hard we hit it. There must be a bur that it is catching on or something, it just won't go down and we don't have a press. I decided just to leave it and we still installed the zig zag brake. The gun shoots fine but I'm still kinda worried about the FSB issue and if its a problem that we didn't get it down that last quarter inch. I wish I would have taken pics but I didn't.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the "complete" conversion/restoration on my 7.62x39 saiga.

here are a few pics ...I had the press welded FSB and GB so I had to partialy drill these to press them off, on the older saigas you can just knock the pins out and press off.

I also use engine assm. lube for my lubricant while pressing anything on.

002.jpg

Thank you for your post first of all and your help, I have a few more questions if you've got time?

What did you attach your cleaning rod to inside the hand guards?

Did the cleaning rod go into the receiver at all?

When I test fitted mine, it was blocked by the screw that you attach to the hand guard. How did you get around this?

Thanks again. I appreciate it

Greg

Are you talking about the one that holds the ring for the sling? You're gonna have to do away with it. If you're talking about the one on the bottom of the receiver for the old saiga handguard, that should be fine. My cleaning rod fits fine other than the fact that the stock FSB is a little further back so it doesn't seat right. I'll fix that when I swap out FSBs.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the one that holds the ring for the sling? You're gonna have to do away with it. If you're talking about the one on the bottom of the receiver for the old saiga handguard, that should be fine. My cleaning rod fits fine other than the fact that the stock FSB is a little further back so it doesn't seat right. I'll fix that when I swap out FSBs.

I test fitted it with the Tapco Galil hand guard, but actually have two of the ones pictured above on the way, should be here saturday. I just noticed that there really isnt anything holding them in and wasnt sure of how it stays in. Ill just have to wait and see I suppose. Its gonna look just like the picture pretty much.

Edited by AZG

I test fitted it with the Tapco Galil hand guard, but actually have two of the ones pictured above on the way, should be here saturday. I just noticed that there really isnt anything holding them in and wasnt sure of how it stays in. Ill just have to wait and see I suppose. Its gonna look just like the picture pretty much.

How what stays in? The rod?

yeah. There arent any threads or anything that I could find on the galil hand guard that would hold the rod in. Although I realize that the galil hg that I currently have will not work with the cleaning rod. So when the this one arrives:

post-24335-024181200 1282345163_thumb.jpg

Ill have to test it out to see how it fits. It just seems that the screw that secures the Lower hand guard will get in the way of the rod.

yeah. There arent any threads or anything that I could find on the galil hand guard that would hold the rod in. Although I realize that the galil hg that I currently have will not work with the cleaning rod. So when the this one arrives:

Ill have to test it out to see how it fits. It just seems that the screw that secures the Lower hand guard will get in the way of the rod.

You don't twist it into place. It's just tension that holds it in place. Or if you've got the GB and FSB that have those little loops, those will help too. If you try to take out a cleaning rod from a WASR, you've got to pull it down then out.

• Like 1

You don't twist it into place. It's just tension that holds it in place. Or if you've got the GB and FSB that have those little loops, those will help too. If you try to take out a cleaning rod from a WASR, you've got to pull it down then out.

oh, ok. I dont have the GB but I do have the FSB Loop. Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Greg

oh, ok. I dont have the GB but I do have the FSB Loop. Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Greg

Anytime. Yeah, I decided doing the GB was unnecessary, so I'm just gonna get a bulgy FSB and call it a day.

Greg

Anytime. Yeah, I decided doing the GB was unnecessary, so I'm just gonna get a bulgy FSB and call it a day.

I think I read that in one of your prior posts and decided to do the same