Does anyone make a muzzle brake for the 12's

Just wondering, does anyone make an actual muzzle brake for the Saiga 12, or are they all just flash hiders? Hiders look nice, but a functional brake would be better. I put an AK 74 style on my WASR and it made all the difference in the world in the way the gun feels when you shoot it.

Best case would be a steel slip on brake (that I can silver solder) if anyone knows of one, or one I could modinfy if you have an idea ( I have a small home work shop w/ mill and lathe-also 2 tool & die maker buds).

Also, I plan on taking the barrel down a few inches from 22", and having it threaded for an internal brake.

Does anyone have suggestions on a manufacturer to buy the brakes from here in the US. I'm looking for something that fits domestic 12ga shotguns that will be easy to buy, easy for the gunshop to cut standardized threads on, and be able to purchase a rifled slug ckoke.

Last, am I correct in assuming that if I get the barrel threaded internally for the choke, that it will still allow me to use a slip on choke.

Man that's a lot of questions................

Thanks again, Mark

Technically, I don't believe any external type shotgun brake is going to do much to cut recoil. You only have 10,000psi to work with, not like 55,000+ in a rifle, and you have a sewer pipe size bore. You could try and overcome the bore size by making the brake very long in order to allow the gas to expand substantially before it hit the restrictive exit pupil, but that would only work with slugs, since the shot will spread and hit the brake.

I tested a pile of brakes in the low pressure, big bore AR-15's and none were very effective. The small bore, high pressure, large capacity rounds make brakes work substantially better.

Thanks Tony, looks like bling bling it is. That explains a lot about why all you see is flash hiders then. Can anyone elaborate on using internal chokes with slip on hiders....

I agree "conventional" rifle -type muzzle breaks are not that effective on shotguns.

They help to reduce the recoil, but not as much as in rifles, as mentioned above.

There are, however, brakes designed for shottys:

http://www.jprifles.com/ShotgunPerformancePackage.html

You must be prepared to drill the gasholes after installing that, since much of the gas exits the barrel before the end of it...

--Make

Nothing looks very practical for a weekend shooter....this is going to be more of a project gun than anything else. Thanks for the info guys, was just looking for ways to calm things down under rapid fire conditions. For now a buffer and 1" pad will do.

The integral barrel porting is probably the most effective and that is why you see it on the name-brand shotguns......but, an alternative would be to make a barrel extension tube that had the same ID as the bore and then port it instead. That would probably be the best viable option and it probably wouldn't look too bad either.

Tony Rumore

Yeah Tony, your probably right but it turns into one of those damned if you do,damned if you dont things in my case. This is the problem, I'm a freakin car tech. You know the type. I work on new cars by day (working shop foreman for 6000 car fleet), then go home to feed my addiction by changing and modding everything I touch. Oh yea, I buy tools.... lots & all types. Then I picked up one of these Saiga 12's on a whim. I shot it once just to see how it worked then I proceeded to gut it for the conversion. I want it to be a blend of style and function-some of which may not go hand in hand. Thus far I have a converted Saiga 12 fit with a Galil folding stock (probably r4) that I cut an inch out of the tube length, added a 1" ACE pad, and mated to a receiver block that I milled that resembles the new ACE block, but it has an extra 5 degrees to mate with the stock. A G2 FCG, Red Star pin plate, and Black Jack buffer. Waiting in the wings to be installed, a Galil front sight asm w/ night flip up and Izzy FAL HB handguard.

The probem is that, for looks sake, I want to chop the 22" barrel. For function and versitility, install an internal removeable choke. And last, that damned brake or flash hider. Wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that until a month ago, I never really had much interest in shotguns or took the time to learn much about them. Now I'm trying to cram for the next move as I complete another part of the project. Thank any and all of you for anything you come up with, sorry if I'm a pain, or post way too much, but it's almost go time for this part.

Mark